Phattyduck's SV25/ST205 hybrid

phattyduck

Hi All,

Hope you don't mind me putting a slightly different Alltrac here in the project section. I wanted to document the process here for all to see, rather than in the less obvious "other Alltracs" section below.

I bought the car late October, 2007 with 94k miles on it. It is an '89 LE model - the previous owner (I'm the second, based on Carfax) only drove it 5k miles a year. It is effectvely rust free - I only found one spot near up inside the right rear wheel well, totally hidden.

The plan is to slowly convert it to a full ST205 drivetrain - for which I already have most/all of the parts. My other Camry is a base '90 with the ST205 motor and E153 in it and running already. :D

First here are some stock pics from soon after I got it:
9uL0evu.jpg

DnP9Uqt.jpg

3s-fe automatic! :doh:
BbCl9NH.jpg

bY59qjb.jpg

Rust free!
96kF6xU.jpgg

More to come in the next post...

-Charlie

Rick89GTS

Er, no offense....
That Camry is straight and clean but wouldn't you rather drop that 205 motor into a sexier Celica chassis?

UtahSleeper

Nice idea. I can also see the points of going with this chassis. Less obvious then a Celica. More room then a Celica. That and the whole, "Look what I can do" feeling :)

I don't know much about the Camry's, but does it already have the tunneling for it?

phattyduck

For a 4-5 months after I bought it, it was my girlfriends daily driver while she was in between cars (a nice litte upgrade from an '03 Altima to a '08 Mini Cooper-S 6-speed!).

I got the car back in the late spring and started installing a few 'hidden' parts here an there on the car.

Both ST185 and ST165 swaybars fit on the car. The ST185 bar interferes slightly with the brake and fuel hard lines, so a little bending fixes that... Right now, I'm running a stock ST185 swaybar (1mm bigger than stock Camry Alltrac) and will be upgrading in the future.

I also put in a complete ST205 rear end - subframe, arms, axles, and diff with a full set of Mario's mounts. This worked just fine after a little rolling of the rear fenders to clear the 2"+ wider rear track.

After a little cleanup, the car still looks great! (notice the filled out rear fender-wells, even with stock wheels+tires)

WlTzBCV.jpg

JMSmYzO.jpg

Yjbdhfi.jpg

More to come in the next post...

-Charlie

phattyduck

Rick89GTS":xgyns1de said:
Er, no offense....
That Camry is straight and clean but wouldn't you rather drop that 205 motor into a sexier Celica chassis?
I do understand the 'sexier' part, but I want a sleeper... :D
3tcpower":xgyns1de said:
Nice idea. I can also see the points of going with this chassis. Less obvious then a Celica. More room then a Celica. That and the whole, "Look what I can do" feeling :)

I don't know much about the Camry's, but does it already have the tunneling for it?
The Camry Alltrac is already setup with the same rear diff, subframe, etc. as the Celica Alltrac. The motor mounts, etc. in the front are the same. The drive shaft to the back is 2" longer, and that's about it for drivetrain incompatibilties (other than the 3s-fe vs. 3s-gte, of course!). Even the cat-back exhaust is the same in terms of routing and mounting points as the Celica Alltrac (though it is also 2" longer). Front suspension design is a bit different, but Whiteline has upgraded parts for all the Camry specific areas.

As an aside, FWD Celicas and FWD Camrys are also very similar...

-Charlie

phattyduck

Recently, I finally acquired Tein ST185 Super Street coilovers, and I finally had a chance to install them over the weekend. There were a few things to note:

- Front strut tops are slightly smaller on the Celica. A little bit of time with the dremel fixed that (see picture below, it was a small amount)
- Front brake line mount points were different. Zip ties to the rescue!
- Front brake line mounts interfered with the chassis - a little bending fixed that.

Ride height is pretty much right-on with the factory settings. I'll see how it settles out over the next few days before the alignment. I'm going for a sleeper look, so I might raise the front back up just a bit.

The goods:
lO2gihI.jpg

Brake line mount differences:
psMUV1Q.jpg

Upper mount, after a bit of grinding:
F1ufM2r.jpg

Front fitted:
JRyF19G.jpg

Initial front ride height:
udfuMKU.jpg

Rear fitted:
R8XKjXM.jpg

Initial rear ride height:
hN2ANCd.jpg

-Charlie

phattyduck

LegacyofDan":2xmx5kul said:
nice idea, but i sorta thought the same about the BOV, recirculate and make her silent :)
Most of the time, I run it with the stock ST205 bpv, but with the open intake, it still makes plenty of noise. The turbo spooling is a bit of a hint too... :twisted:

Cruising though, nobody will suspect a thing.

-Charlie

Locker

That is awesome!!!
The only thing I would do different is to start with a camry wagon :D
I love that style of camry. My first car was a 88 LE and I also owned a 1990 wagon that I put a 92 Celica GTS motor in. thing was great it'd burn the tires all the way though an intersection

phattyduck

Locker":1oigmpe6 said:
That is awesome!!!
The only thing I would do different is to start with a camry wagon :D
I love that style of camry. My first car was a 88 LE and I also owned a 1990 wagon that I put a 92 Celica GTS motor in. thing was great it'd burn the tires all the way though an intersection
Heh, I already have a fast wagon. :D

-Charlie

GMan

Congrats on the progress so far.
You keeping the SV25 Auto ?
You could use the Caldina Auto ?

Toyota should've down this from the factory.
A Mitsu Galant VR4 fighter. :D

Regards;
----------------------------

darthripley

Looks great Charlie, so nice & clean! :)

That's awesome you were able to fit the Tein Coilovers.
I'm guessing you are going to just keep the stock rims on?

Any chance you might do an ES250 front end on the swapped ST205 Camry?
I remember StickyDilJoe's & always thought it looked amazing.

phattyduck

I already have Aussie headlights on the car (not pictured yet) - they look much like the ES250 lights, only with no amber reflectors. I also have a JDM front bumper, which has vents (kinda like a CS bumper, only for a Camry :wink: ) - it needs to be painted an installed at some point. I also have a subtle Euro rear spoiler (its a little lip spoiler). The exterior will get those bits, along with some 17" Enkei RPF1's so I can fit ST205 brakes on it.

I still need to figure out if I should paint the carbon fiber hood I have for the car too... I figure it might ruin the 'sleeper' look to have a carbon fiber hood on there, but who knows...

-Charlie

darthripley

awesome!
sounds really cool - can't wait to see all those pretty jdm bits :D
the bumper sounds nice too .. should help with getting some extra air to the motor.

was the 2nd gen Camry called a Vista overseas?
i think i've seen the badges a couple of times but it's been so many years ago i can't totally remember.

some 16" rims will clear the ST205 brake calipers like SSR Competitions :D
unfortunately they aren't easy to find.
what width & offset are you planning to get? oh & what color rims too? :)

phattyduck

I can't remember all the Camry names in Japan. Depending on trim 'n stuff, they have different names (Vista, Scepter, etc.).

My current plan is 17x8" 35 offset with the RPF1's. I'd actually prefer a 16" wheel, but finding one that fits with the brakes would be difficult. It'll be interesting to see how much more work I will have to do on the rear fenders to get the 17x8's in there - with the ST205 rear end, I don't have much room left, even with the stock wheels/tires. I may end up going with the 45 offset version to clear the rear (if it fits the coilovers) and put a 5mm spacer in the front to keep things looking good. I already know the 45mm offset version of the RPF1's fit the ST205 brakes, so either one will work in that regard.

-Charlie