AllTrac Camry vs AllTrac Celica driveline

not12listen

i understand that the rear suspension is nearly identical, i would GUESS the front would also be similar.

my question is:
is the center driveline the same? length, diameter, etc?

thanks! :)

phattyduck

The drivelines are very similar... the Camry Alltrac has a 2" longer wheelbase. From my understanding, all the Celica parts bolt on though... (rear subframe, stuff in the engine bay, etc). The Camry prop shaft should be compatible to use between Celica front and rear drivetrains.

I will be starting the swap sometime this year... I have a full ST205 drivetrain in my garage, and the motor is already running in my FWD Camry.

-Chalie

phattyduck

I can now verify that a full ST205 rearend fits in a Camry Alltrac. This includes the subframe, lsd diff, axles, lateral links and trailing arms. I reused my stock hubs and struts (for now, at least). The rear track was increased by about 2", and the extra 2*-2.4* of camber was removed with camber bolts and set near stock at .75*.

Even with the stock 14" wheels and at stock height, the wheels fill out the wheel wells much better. The stock track was about 1" narrower in the rear and it is now about 1" wider.

-Charlie

BlaznToyo

phattyduck":3rpvjfrr said:
I can now verify that a full ST205 rearend fits in a Camry Alltrac. This includes the subframe, lsd diff, axles, lateral links and trailing arms. I reused my stock hubs and struts (for now, at least). The rear track was increased by about 2", and the extra 2*-2.4* of camber was removed with camber bolts and set near stock at .75*.

Even with the stock 14" wheels and at stock height, the wheels fill out the wheel wells much better. The stock track was about 1" narrower in the rear and it is now about 1" wider.

-Charlie

Hey Charlie, what caused the rear track to increase? I also have a Camry ALLTRAC.

phattyduck

BlaznToyo":iwgw8y8a said:
Hey Charlie, what caused the rear track to increase? I also have a Camry ALLTRAC.
I used the arms from the ST205... it has about a 2" wider rear track, which comes from the longer arms.

I just confirmed today that the rear tires just slightly rub on big bumps, even with the stock wheels and tires... Time for a fender rolling!

-Charlie

Rpz123isme

His cal look's awsome with the st205 stuff on it! but putting the camry alltrac stuff on a st185 might make your wheels tuck in about an inch more, If you use the slightly smaller arms!

phattyduck

not12listen":23mkzjqs said:
charlie, would you be willing to share some photos? :)

i'd love to see it. :)
I don't have any pics of the car since putting on the ST205 rear end, but here are some pics when its all stock:

Stock rear wheel tuck (yeah, yeah, not as bad as an ST185!):
DSCN2002.jpg

Clean body:
DSCN2012.jpg

Clean interior:
DSCN2004.jpg

The stock rear end.
DSCN2006.jpg

-Charlie

not12listen

so, now the big question...

i know that toyota loves to change tiny details every so often, even on the same generation run of the same car (85-89 mr2s is a perfect example)... so, are all sv2X chassis similar enough, that you can swap over alltrac celica parts...?

the basic idea is... if something horrid happens, and some jackass destroys my wife's alltrac camry, could we pickup another camry of the same vintage, swap over everything under the skin and drive away happy?

primarily, i know the gas tank on the camry is SPECIFIC to just the alltrac camry (no other vehicle shares that gas tank - we found out the hard way), but is the center tunnel the same so the prop shaft can still lead to the rear diff in a FWD factory setup camry?

phattyduck

not12listen":1xxpmvvv said:
the basic idea is... if something horrid happens, and some jackass destroys my wife's alltrac camry, could we pickup another camry of the same vintage, swap over everything under the skin and drive away happy?

primarily, i know the gas tank on the camry is SPECIFIC to just the alltrac camry (no other vehicle shares that gas tank - we found out the hard way), but is the center tunnel the same so the prop shaft can still lead to the rear diff in a FWD factory setup camry?
The floorpan and rear of the car is different between the FWD (SV21 / VZV21) chassis and the AWD chassis. You would have to pick up another Alltrac Camry to swap any parts over...

-Charlie

not12listen

next question, and i'm sure i already know the answer...

the alltrac celica and alltrac camry... the suspension (ie. struts, springs). to my eyes, they look similar. the question is HOW similar are they? :)

if you say interchangeable, i'll be tickled pink. :)

phattyduck

not12listen":1vhxfvcj said:
next question, and i'm sure i already know the answer...

the alltrac celica and alltrac camry... the suspension (ie. struts, springs). to my eyes, they look similar. the question is HOW similar are they? :)

if you say interchangeable, i'll be tickled pink. :)
They are reasonably close to interchangeable. I put ST185 Tein SS coilovers on my Camry Alltrac without much trouble.

The front strut tops are slightly rotated - the camber plate points slightly forward towards the center of the car. Also, the strut tops are slightly larger (a few mm) on the Camry. A dremel fixed that one pretty quickly.

The rears are perfect.

Bolt sizes front and rear match the the ST185 (no need for strut spacers like when putting ST185 stuff on a ST165). Weight between the ST185 and Camry Alltrac is similar to ride height is pretty much correct too.

-Charlie

not12listen

are the struts (front) interchangeable as well? same length and diameter?

the goal here is to purchase a set of Koni Yellow struts and Ground Control coilover sleeves for the Camry.

i'm guessing the 89 AllTrac Camry and ST165 AllTrac Celica suspension is pretty much identical...

phattyduck

not12listen":1dig6mo2 said:
are the struts (front) interchangeable as well? same length and diameter?

the goal here is to purchase a set of Koni Yellow struts and Ground Control coilover sleeves for the Camry.

i'm guessing the 89 AllTrac Camry and ST165 AllTrac Celica suspension is pretty much identical...
Check out the install I did on the struts here:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showt ... p?t=277429

Hopefully the pictures will help you along. If you are doing inserts meant for an Alltrac Celica, I think it would work great in the Alltrac Camry.

-Charlie