Project CMS

CMS-GT4

So I got the tank out. I did not remove the fuel or the filler neck. I lowered it with a jack and then some blocks. I was able to carry to the garage. The tank itself is fine. The top lines are bad though. I broke one when it caught on the subframe when I lowered it. The one that is leaking can not be taken apart. When I turn the wrench the metal just bends. I think the lines are bad so I am going to replace the main units. I hope it isn't too expensive. I just looked it up on 1st toyota, it looks like it will cost around $75 to replace both the fuel pump bracket and the vent tube, that I broke,

Here is the tank.
photo2pg8.jpg

I also powerwashed the silver paint off the tank cover, the filler neck protector and the nozzle plastic. The old painter made them all silver, I am going to paint them black tomorrow.

I also measured the st205 axles vs the 185 axles. I posted more about that in the related thread.
http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic ... 4&start=30

Try CRC Freeze off on the rusted stuff. I took apart a 88 SC exhaust system
using it and it was amazing (forget PB blaster). Costs like $6 a can and 1
can should do that tank

CMS-GT4

I'll look into that. I have a neat chemical that eats rust, but I do not want to get it mixed with gas. The only parts that are rusted are the top hose areas. The rest is dirt. I am surprised how dirty it was up there.

RedCelicaTRD

The vent hose goes to the charcoal canister. If you have removed the canister you don't need to worry about replacing that hose. Just put a small filter on it to keep the dirt out.

CMS-GT4

I removed the charcoal canister. If all it needs it to be filtered, I can do that. I already had a filter on the engine bay side.

CMS-GT4

Well here is the room made once the gas tank is removed. It might give those who want to get a fuel cell and a rear diffuser an idea of what they are working with.

img0249yt2.jpg

img0250ce6.jpg

img0251bt5.jpg

RedCelicaTRD

CMS-GT4":27ibulr5 said:
I removed the charcoal canister. If all it needs it to be filtered, I can do that. I already had a filter on the engine bay side.

Try and get a rubber line to connect to the filter or a filter that is at a 90* and point it up. That way incase you get some fuel slosh on a full tank it wont spill out the filter.

CMS-GT4

I am just going to get a new one. I want to remove any items with rust from the car.

I wonder what the easiest way to clean the under carriage is. It is awfully grimy down there.

I also wonder if the under coat needs to be renewed. Does that stuff wear off over time? I guess its rust protection or something?

RedCelicaTRD

Get some degreaser and a good scrubbing brush to clean everything off. As for the undercoat as long as it's not cracking it doesn't need to be replaced. If you just have a crack you could probably fill it with silicone and be fine.

CMS-GT4

No cracks or anything so I guess it is good. My alltrac never saw much gravel or anything nasty. It is dirty though. I need to get the car on a lift in a power washing station. I think I want to paint the diff housing and sub frame when ever I pull them off to swap with the 205 stuff. I guess I can go ahead and paint the 205 parts when it gets warm and then I just have to paint the diff housing once I swap it all out.

METDeath

Talk to Dr. Tweak about gunk removal, he recently cleaned an engine bay with a cleaning product. I'd see about stripping and then recoating the undercarriage, but you'd probably have to strip the undercarriage of brake lines, and such... so not sure if that's worth it to you. However, you may be able to put something on top of the current undercoating. Personally, I'd strip it to metal, primer it, paint it, then do a line-x, rhino liner, herculiner process on it.

CMS-GT4

If I had that kind of time and better facilities to work in I might do that, but for now I just want my car to stay rust free. I have been luck so far... except for those damn toyota bolts.

It looks like I will not have the fuel tank parts till at least next week. I am possible going to clean up the gas tank next dry day I get and paint any of the scrapped rusted spots. The tank looks in fairly good shape, except for the damn filler neck and bolts. I thought about leaving them alone, but I might remove the neck to derust and paint it, plus to put new bolts in.

CMS-GT4

In another six months or so, it will be 10 years since I got my alltrac. I hope by the time that anniversary rolls around that the car is in a condition to be celebrating.

CMS-GT4

So my shiny new parts showed today. Now I just got to wait for the weather to improve. Looks like snow...

CMS-GT4

So my wife is telling my one of her old friends from Malaysia got in touch with her and she likes to autocross. I was like cool, then she adds in her mr2 and gt4. I am like, WAT?!!!
Normally this is not that big a deal, but in Malaysia gtfours are very rare and very expensive (not counting the caldina which are everywhere). She has a 205. While her body kit choices are not my taste, its great to find someone that might be able to take me car part hunting when we go visit early summer. She had he 205 painted like the aqua blue color that you see a on a few 185s.

CMS-GT4

I am waiting for thursday. It looks like that will be my only halfway warm day this next week. I changed the Z's battery in 15-20 degree weather. That sucked. I was going to restore the tank, but I think I am just going to fix the issues and get it back together. I will restore it once I change out to the 205 rear end down the road.

I just called toyota to get some new screws, and they want $1.52 per screw. Serious...

CMS-GT4

Yep... still in the 20s. I sort of wish I could move my shop equipment around so I can fit the car in the garage again...

photoeu8.jpg