Celica GT 5sfe swap for 3sgte

A

Anonymous

Hey all, i am a member on revscene.net and i asked a question on there but they said it would be better answered on here.

i am looking into swaping my 5s-fe engine out of my 1990 celica GT for a 3s-gte engine, but i have a few questions before i start buying anything.

Are the mounts the same?
Will i be able to use my stock 5s-fe 5spd manual transmission?
What engine should i use, the 3rd gen mr2 3s-gte or the 3rd gen celica 3s-gte?
For that matter is there a difference between the two?
Are the harnesses the same, or atleast compatable? Is there a diagram for cutting the wires if they arent compatable?
Is there anything else i should look into before i make the swap?

Now, all of the 3s-gte engines i have found over the internet have been coupled with AWD transmissions. Can i take that AWD tranny off and just stick my transaxle on?

Thanks in advance

blk90celica-ht

i would go to celica tech.net and do a search they have alot of threads. my sure you get a celica front clip and you can use your tranny from the 5sfe and with the all trac tranny i just sold it to make some money back the only problem you will have with the wiring is the 3rd plugg for the ecu

METDeath

celicatech.com would probably be a better resource, as more people are running swaps over there. The only issues you will run into is the ECU plug, and that not all S53 transmissions are able to handle the 3S-GTE, some can, some don't. You may want to look for a S54 (94-99 Celica GT) or an E153 (V6 Camry/Solar (easy) or MR2 Turbo (have to change where the shifter cables mount) after that, have to move one transmission mount).
The mounts are correct for the 3S-GTE, although, if you have a bad one, you may want to order Alltrac mounts (same bolt patterns, just beefier mount).

Carolina91GT-S

~ The mounts will work if you use an S53 or S54 transmission. If you go with a different transmission like the E153 then you will need to change the lower rear mount and also the crossmember that supports it.
~ The engine wiring will not be long enough to use in the normal arrangement. The wiring will also not be a direct plug and play to your car. There some changes that must be made but they are manageable if you have the resources. Go to Celicatech.com and read everything you can find then ask questions. People who ask questions without doing some reading first are often ignored. No one likes answering the same questions over and over again when people should be using the search function. it should take you a week or two to understand what you are getting into between reading and hands on. You can do it yourself or send the harnesses out and have someone do it for you, to make a plug and play type setup. Go to the Toyota Technical information system website, pay the $10 subscription fee for 24 hours and download all of the information that you need. It's way better than what the BGB will do for you. https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfoPor ... ota.com%2F

~ you don't have to get a clip but you do need a complete engine set, it should include all of the sensors and the ECU and the harness. Axles would be a good item as well, you'll need them if you use a different tranny.
~