Project CMS

CMS-GT4

Well its in the 20s but I decided to change out the parts anyway. I took the pump out but I am going to need new connectors for the wires. Any suggestions on what kind of connectors to use? I assume there is a certain type for fuel tanks.

ulis_m86

i used regular round connectors that bolt down the fuel pump pins. there is no need for special connectors. gasoline has high electrical resistance you dont have to worry about a spark jumping across and igniting your fuel. only thing i would recommend is do not use electrical tape anywhere. the gasoline will take the sticky stuff right off of it then youll just have a piece of black plastic at the bottom of your tank. dont ask how i know. heat shrink will be fine just do that away from the tank.

CMS-GT4

I have really been kicking around the idea of trying to import a 205 and to do this, I would have to sell the 185. How much do you think I could get for the car?

The interior is in good shape. The only real problem is it needs the be painted and a couple of small dings would need to be taken care of, but over all the car is in great shape with no body rust.

1992 st185 13x,000 on the chassis ~25k on the engine
RC Hood and Bumper
RC gearbox
St205 engine
Upgraded Cobra heat exchanger and for racing pump
custom intake
short shifter
razo shift knob
shifter bushings and base bushings
slave cylinder rod
whiteline sway bar
miata adjustable links
tein HA coilovers
cusco underbrace
superpro bushings
slotted rotors with porterfield pads
st205 lsd
solid dif mounts (I would likly keep this and put the oem one back on.)
There might be more parts, but that is what I can think of off the top of my head.

I would have to sell the wheels for extra as well as the st205 calipers I have.

So what do you think I could get for the car?

tissimo

the market is tough for cars right now.. Even if the car is worth the cash, finding a buyer with the cash is the hard part.

But if you do it and succesfully import one, LMK, mine will be up for sale asap.. st205s ftw

BriinumsBo

it just doesnt make sense to me to change st185 to st205. the only drawback of 185 is the 200kg more weight. you already have engine of the 205. and st185 handling is better than st205, isnt it?

paint the hatch first, it will make you think more positive :) it would be disturbing for me to see my project car in different colors, just makes depressive. the same is for me to wash a car - when its clean and shiny, all the problems go away :D

Meurz

BriinumsBo":mbp9p93a said:
st185 handling is better than st205, isnt it?
Stock? No. Same goes for brakes. But then again ST205 suspension is more expensive and needs more maintenance. Brakes can be upgraded, weight can be lost. But at the end of the day [imo] the CS looks WAY better than the 205.. 8)

CMS-GT4

I guess the main reason I was thinking of the upgrade is because the car would pretty much be done for me. Before I started weight reduction my 185 already weighted the same as a 205 that was posted in another thread, 1,487kg or 3280, which is also not much more than a evo or sti. The only real advantage I see in the 205 is the front SS suspension, weight moved further behind the wheels, wider track and the fact that all the parts are there.

As far as looks go, I think the 20x model is hit or miss. There are a couple I have seen that are on my top favorite look car list, but most of them look like bloated pigs.

Frankly, after posting the idea I felt a little shitty about it. I do love my car, I just hate looking at it with its poor paint and not being able to drive it.

I know I can get the weight in the 3100 or less range w/o having to give up too much and that is good enough for me and I already have the 205's brakes, I just had put them on yet since I need to source rotors.

We had some freak weather today. Its been in the 20s and snowing and now its in the 60s and clear. So I am going to try and finish the gas tank today.

alltracst185

don't sell.....fix it :wink:

you will be alot happier in the end. you will get to tell people that you have made this car what it is today!

darthripley

even if you just shoot the hatch with primer it will blend in better.
there were a few times i felt like getting rid of the MR2 since the body is not the best on him & needs quite a bit of work.
after shooting the hood & fenders with primer & getting the body kit back on the car i could see some light at the end of the tunnel.

project cars that drag on for years are tough to complete - that's why you see so many for sale that are close to completion but people can't finish them for one reason or another.
i think it takes a lot of mental toughness to gut out a project car & fully restore it to a state where you are pleased.

just a couple of my pennies :)

p.s. ST205's can be pretty, but i gotta agree with Meurz the ST185's looks are superior in my book - can't beat that wide arse 8)

turbo4wd

In the US... 185>205..

Right hand drive cars in a left hand drive world are a pain in the ass.. OEM parts, while you can get them - are not the easiest to come by.. Forget about the aftermarket, you would be forced to buy from overseas for any kind of aftermarket parts..

You've got a 185, with a 205 swap, suspension bits, pretty bits, etc.. all it needs is a repaint along with a few other things here and there and it'll be very nice..

In my opinion, considering what you already have, a 205 is not a large enough move up to justify the cost and headaches..

CMS-GT4

So I was trying to connect the old fuel line to the new pump bracket and as I was putting it on, I could not help but think, how do I know if it is the damn fuel line that was leaking past the threads and not the bracket lines?

And of course, if I need to replace it, should I go toyota oem or get an aftermarket line.

Thoughts? I am running out of day light!

CMS-GT4

Well it looks like rain. I got the fuel pump in the car and the new bracket. I wasted most of my time trying to install the rubber fuel line and ended up rounded the new bracket line some. So I took it off and I will likely put a new one on before installing the pump. I also sprayed the tank cover with some black, so now it looks better.

CMS-GT4

I checked 1st toyota and the oem fuel line is $50. Is there an aftermarket fuel line I can use instead that is maybe braided or something?

CMS-GT4

The line that comes off here.

The part 23091 in this pic.

diag_Auuf29.png

CMS-GT4

I ordered a new one from toyota today. Any tips on installing it? Does anything special need to be done to the line before installing it? Or do I just screw it on? The bgb did not rally have anything on it from what I saw.

CMS-GT4

The parts should be here tomorrow, so I plan on putting the stuff together friday and installing the tank saturday when it is 60 degrees again.

I have been thinking a lot about my spring setup and I am trying to decide what spring rates to get or if I want to start from scratch with my suspension. I am also looking into the part numbers of springs because I think my rear springs might be able to be used for the front and I would just have to buy new rear springs which would save on total cost. I have also been wondering about running the same spring rate all around or higher rears. I have heard good results from the subaru and evo guys with running a higher rear spring rate. I think when I get new springs, I am just going to get new 8kg front springs and go from there. There are some high end coilovers for the evos with the same spring rates so it may have good results.

I figured I would post my old window sticker so people have an idea of what these things cost back in the day.

alltracwindowstickersr8.jpg

turbo4wd

CMS-GT4":2i08ymyw said:
I figured I would post my old window sticker so people have an idea of what these things cost back in the day.

That come's out to a little over $42k in today's dollars..

Its easy to see why there weren't that many Alltracs sold in the US.. People had a hard time justifying paying BMW money for a Celica..