Immobilizer

deceit

Just got a letter from my insurance company telling me that my gt-four is a high risk vehicle for car theft and that i need to get one installed before i register it again.

Anyone in manitoba or canada on this forum get a letter or have an immobilizer put in?

I'm pretty sure that there aren't very many rhd drive gt-fours in canada or manitoba alone that has had their car broken into or stolen or even alltracs in canada or manitoba that had their car stolen....

Whats everyone's input on this? should i not get an immobilizer installed? should i call and tell them to shove it?

bah.. i hate this.. such an inconvenience...

Sal

It happens man. I got mine broken into. Mother fuckers stole my cd deck (but were in a hurry to take out the harness, internals etc. Oh, and they left my arm pad open, glove compartment open, and attempted to remove my horn button.
What is an immobilizer?

wound3S

Just get a cheap switch from NAPA or Radio Shack, wire it directly into the fuel pump line (shouldn't need a relay) and then hide the switch somewhere that's not obvious. Or heck, if your AC doesn't work, wire it up to the AC switch in the dash or something like that :p

This way, your car will probably still start if it hasn't been sitting too long, so
1. you will hear it start
2. it will not get far if it does drive so insurance will consider your car stolen rather than just burglarized

deceit

they basically attach a sensor to the column and theres a tag thats attached to the key so that the tag must be present and sensed in order for the car to be turned on.. i already have an alarm put in but they still want to install the immobilizer, plus you have to submit prove that it was installed or i wont be able to insure the vehicle.

sorry to hear that your car got broken into sal345... good thing they didnt damage the car or try to steal it, jus some punks looking for some extra cash or something to sell i bet..

vash169

My car got broken into recently as well, they went in through the rear quarter window. Smashed the window, made a mess, and stole my impact wrench out of the trunk but didn't seem to make an attempt on the car itself. Worst part is it was in my underground parking garage, and since you need a specific transponder key thing to get into the garage I've gotta think it was someone who also lives in the building. Plus since my car is deep in the lot and not all shiny and new, I've got secret paranoid suspicions that I was targeted...

I'm planning an engine swap, and when I do I'm absolutely installing cutoff switches for just about everything. If I can't be safe in my semi-secure garage then I can't be safe anywhere!

As for the high risk thing, I didn't get a letter or anything like that. I always figured they were actually fairly low risk because they look like a common Celica, despite being made in few numbers.

vash169

That's true, I sort of bank on the hope that people think it's one of those fake hood scoops you can pick up at crappy tire. Not the case!

Locker

I know that Manitoba is very big on the immobilizer thing. When I moved there a few years ago they were doing a huge push to have people install immobilizers. They had some big discounts on getting them installed and cheaper rates for insurance.
The high likelyhood of theft sounds strange though. My alltrac is cheaper to insure than a camry of similar age. I was so confused I thought they were quoting the wrong car and reminded them it was a 2 door turbo car. My insurance company told me its because they have little experience with them. Meaning that there aren't many on the road and therefore have not had to pay out many/any claims so cheaper.

deceit

thats exactly what im thinkin.. i kno they dont kno alot about the car.. i mean they registered my gt-four under a celica gts turbo. they dont have an alltrac or gt-four in their database so im sure theyre jus looking to put an immobilizer in any vehicle that is of old age.. thats why i wna kno if anyone in this forum from manitoba or canada has had or needs to put an immobilizer in their car..

Sal

Hmm, That's really interesting.
I hope all our Alltrac/GT4's stay in one piece!
No word from insurance yet on an immobilizer.
Mines registered as a GTS Turbo too. I think it has to do with our VIN's being to short.

Autobot

When registered, my car is labeled as a Celica GTS Turbo as well. No immobilizer requests from Autopac yet, but I assume one will come in the mail once I re-register it.

sacanadian

mine is also insured under gts turbo... not sure why they don't have the alltrac in the database.

as for the imobilizer, i would ask if an installed killswitch would suffice. it would be cheaper for parts and install compared to finding a imobilizer.

hope this helps.

by the way... how much is it for an imobilizer? and could you get a toyota one? just so i know...

deceit

its actually free, i jus dont want to get it installed cuz its a hassle and a waste of time..
it may also complicate things with my car..

not too sure if theres a toyota one..

Stubble

I got the letter from MPI (insurance co.) last summer, informing me my Celica needed an immobilizer. I just about blew a gasket because my car had been immobilized from an exhaust valve failure for 3 months. If some punk ass kid wants to come and steal my car by rebuilding and installing my engine for me, I'd pay his fetal alcohol syndrome ass to do it. :x :shoots: I was extra pissed because they said I had to have the immobilizer installed before I registered it, even though it was on lay-up coverage.

Rant over. I called and they explained that I could insure it if I had an appointment to get the immobilizer installed. No need to tow it to the shop.

I went with Waverly Mitsubishi. They were fine, no problems, and I'm going on 3 months with the immobilizer. I haven't crawled around the engine bay to see how professional the wiring was done though. But, the car starts with the RF chip present, it doens't start without it, and everything else still works on the car. Plus, I got to stare at the red Cayman they have in the dealership while I was waiting to pick it up.

Rick89GTS

deceit":20p3rwd9 said:
its actually free, i jus dont want to get it installed cuz its a hassle and a waste of time..
it may also complicate things with my car......
Any update? Did you get the immobilizer installed?
If it's free, I'd get it. Out here, we have to pay $200 for an immobilizer :(

deceit

nope not yet, dunno if i will. dont want any future complications or anyone i dont ko driving my car.. haha

Stubble

I don't think you have much choice in the matter.

If you're worried about them driving it, get them to write down the odo when you check it in, and explain to them that you do not authorize anyone to drive it except into and out of the shop.