[How to] Trunk key lock bypass (security upgrade)

This is for those who want a little more security for their alltrac. This mod will bypass the hatch key hole lock so no one can break in through the hatch.
No tools are needed and this should take about 2-5 min to complete.
The pics can be a bit confusing so use them in comparison with your car. After your finished, the trunk will only open with the release lever inside the car.

1. remove the plastic panel covering the latch.
IMG_1138.jpg

It should look something like this. You can now see the latch and the key lock. In this mod, we are removing the short cable.
IMG_1139.jpg

2. Remove the latch end of the short cable.
IMG_1140.jpg

3. Now remove the key lock side of the cable.
IMG_1141.jpg

At this point you should be able to remove the short cable. It should look like this.
IMG_1142.jpg

4. Now there should only be one cable left and it should be on the key lock. Remove that end from the key lock.
IMG_1143.jpg

5. and now just put the end of the cable you just removed and just install it on to the latch.
IMG_1146.jpg

Finished. It should now look like this!
IMG_1147.jpg

RedCelicaTRD

My rear lock was broken so I have done this also. It has worked just fine for six years. The only difference is the cable has less slack at rest, so you don't have to pull the interior switch as far to get the trunk open.

celicaGTS_T

+1, did this a while back when i saw some metal pins sticking out of my key hole. Looked like someone tried to open it, luckily they didn't.

RedCelicaTRD":1lww1n4x said:
My rear lock was broken so I have done this also. It has worked just fine for six years. The only difference is the cable has less slack at rest, so you don't have to pull the interior switch as far to get the trunk open.

yes there is no more slack in the trunk release inside the car and it feels so much better this way IMO. I dont have to pull it all the way, its just a simple little snap now.

txironhead

Until that cable snaps or comes loose.......on a hatchback that AIN'T fun!

Happened to a friend of mine, his key had quit working years back so he relied on the interior cable, then the cable broke. Since I was the thinnest friend around I got to do the "squirm and worm" to the back to pop the hatch so we could replace the cable. Finding a stray tire iron (the sharp-ended kind) with your shoulder blade is not fun.

Great tip, definitely something I'd consider as long as the cable is in good shape. This would also be good if you wanted to clean up the bodywork and 'glass over the keyhole. I'm not that worried about someone using the locks to break into my vehicles, around here they tend to use the "brick through window" method. Seriously.

athousandleaves

I can see some merits to this mod but it doesn't really defend you from the guys that come along with a coat hanger and pull up on the trunk release...

MacGyver

That's not realy my big concern with theft on my car. If u just pry the window you can bend the whole window and track back far enough to put your whole arm in. Had to do this after locking my keys in my car on a date like a jackass. You would be supprised how far it will bend. Then again you would have to own one to know that.