upgrading wta intercooler?

Q&A regarding engines, turbos, and intercoolers and power upgrades

Postby 6strngs » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:37 am

It'd be cool for your own personal car, but to put that into production you won't have a very big market because people would need to relocate the battery and have a straight intake and possibly need other modifcations/fabrications and not everyone is willing to do that. Besides, you just said you didn't like having a bunch of pipework under the hood 8)
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
94 Celica GT - Sold
00 Celica GTS - Sold
88 Alltrac ST165 - Sold
04 Subaru WRX - Daily drive/fun car
69 Pontiac LeMans - project car
6strngs
Club Member

Postby built2run » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:03 am

i like that idea of moving the core, i also thought of the same i've also been looking into the biggest heat exchanger i can fit in front of the a/c condenser area on a st165 i was looking at a radiator with horizontal flow but its hard to find one that really fits.
"straight lines r 4 fast cars, turns r 4 fast drivers" Colin McRae.
ST165, black: parted and gone
ST165, white: rear ended by ass hat
ST165, white: sold to friend
ST185, black: current project, "The Kraken"
built2run
Established Member

Postby built2run » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:06 am

6strngs wrote: Besides, you just said you didn't like having a bunch of pipework under the hood 8)

with his setup there will still be less than a FMIC :D
built2run
Established Member

Postby 6strngs » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:27 pm

Ok, so I need some help, maybe I should make a new thread for this but I figure I'll post it here also. But I finally got some time today to install my ST205 IC pump, get out there, remove the ST165 pump and set them side by side to compare...

the 205 pump is WAY bigger than the 165 pump. Which I don't mind at all, I wanted a more effective system anyway. However, the inlet/outlet do not line up, and lines are way bigger on the 205 pump. The inlet/outlet on the 165 pump are about 5/8", maybe closer to 11/16" (I measured about 17mm) and the lines for the 205 pump are about 7/8" (about 21-22mm). This poses a problem since I was hoping it would just line up. has anyone else done this upgrade? I would like to know what they did to get it in there without ripping the whole system out and replacing everything.
94 Celica GT - Sold
00 Celica GTS - Sold
88 Alltrac ST165 - Sold
04 Subaru WRX - Daily drive/fun car
69 Pontiac LeMans - project car
6strngs
Club Member

Postby built2run » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:04 am

i would get the whole setup, and you don't have to use the hardlines at all if you want you can use longer sections of hose to hook it all up.
built2run
Established Member

Postby Insanity-74 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:34 am

built2run wrote:i would get the whole setup, and you don't have to use the hardlines at all if you want you can use longer sections of hose to hook it all up.

+1 to that...it makes installation so much easier, plus you can be alot more flexable where you run your pipes...a few lengths of the flexable samco pipe and you`ll be sorted.
Follow my GT4 rebuild on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/EONRacing/
Insanity-74
Club Member

Postby timmey » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:38 pm

Thanks guys,

Does anyone know if Toyota makes a rebuild kit for this pump? My st205 IC pump sounds dead and is making some brutal squeaking sounds when it warms up. I saw that johndgt4 said they can be rebuilt. Would this be in the BGB or on any site you can think of?

I suppose, being in Canada, I'll need to order any rebuild parts from the UK or Japan seeing they never made the ST205 here at all, and they didn't use that pump on any other car. Depending on costs, it might just be easier to find another used.

Cheers,

Timmey
- 91 JDM Celica GT-Four A (Pre-facelift Widebody)
Project: http://alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2926
timmey
Club Member

Postby RedCelicaTRD » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:27 pm

Toyota doesn't make a kit. You have to source the seals and bearings yourself.
Wayne
1990 All Trac
2017 SRT Challenger Hellcat
Grumpy Moderator
RedCelicaTRD
GTFour God

Postby grip addict » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:52 pm

the lines are indeed 7/8. when i had my wta setup on my car i had the same pump. i ended up using 3/4 in lines with a bit of vasoline and violence, and that worked just fine. the only bracket necessary was the bottom one... otherwise lines all the way work quite well.
after i had it all installed i found out that carquest can sell 7/8... blah
i need to warn everyone-
ATSAaron wrote:You specifically told Matt that "some kid dumped sand into my motor."

don't let some kid dump sand into your motor.
grip addict
Established Member

Re: upgrading wta intercooler?

Postby CMS-GT4 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:58 pm

Does anyone have in line flow rates for any of the gtfour intercooler pumps?
Coldiron
92 st185 (205 swap) | 03 350Z Track (sold) | 13 Pilot | 17 Mazda3
www.noritoy.com | noritoy.deviantart.com | http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19891
CMS-GT4
GTSilver Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby freddie » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:14 am

Not only is the 205 intercooler bigger than the previous ones, but the pump is too. It is about double the size of the 165 pump, larger diameter hoses as well. The pump is as big as a washing machine pump lol.

A company in China called GPI Racing make a heat exchange aluminium radiator for the 205 and MR2. They are on the web if you want to look at it.

Thanks for the tip about the insulation felt. The larger reservoir is a good idea as well, locate it somewhere away from the engine heat. Also I am thinking of installing thermostat switch somewhere so my ECU can control the pump operation.

I live in Australia where the summers are hot. (very hot up to 40c). The air in the day is dry hot so I don't thing an air to air type intercooler is suitable. Therefore I for one will be sticking with WTA system. Maybe I will put a fan in front of the HE.

I once saw at RaceWars a Toyota Echo with a 3SGTE engine in it, with a big rectangular aluminium tank and in the tank was a block of dry ice. This was their intercooler.lol
freddie
Club Member

Postby freddie » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:42 am

Further to my previous crap, I am using the 205 system (as well as the engine) in my 165. I have purchases a silicon rubber "charge cooler" hose kit from a EBay seller in the Uk. About three quarters of the hoses are wasted because I have located the pump in a different location to that of the 205 stock position. So I went to a industrial hose supplier and got commercial type silicon hose (I think it was 20mm diam) and PTFE plastic fittings all pressure and heat suitably rated for my application. (I should have done this in the first place)
freddie
Club Member

Previous

Return to Performance and Power