[How to] Do a turbo rebuild

This form was not suggesting balancing... Obviously that cannot be done unless you own a garage or are dumb enough to buy a machine to do it for you. So lets step a side the obvious facts " no you cant spin a turbo at high RPM to balance it yourself.". This was meant just for the base parts that go bad. I thought that was easy to get.

This form was not suggesting balancing... Obviously that cannot be done unless you own a garage or are dumb enough to buy a machine to do it for you. So lets step a side the obvious facts " no you cant spin a turbo at high RPM to balance it yourself.". This was meant just for the base parts that go bad. I thought that was easy to get.

Sang

LegacyofDan":39murn9a said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-CT20-CT26-MAJOR-TURBO-TURBOCHARGER-REBUILD-USA_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ33742QQihZ021QQitemZ310129658075QQtcZphoto

and u cant do a turbo rebuild on your own. unless you have the proper balancing tools.

Not all turbos require balancing after final assembly. MHI (Mitsubishi turbos) are component balanced (each part is balanced separately). Therefore, you can rebuild mitsu turbos in your garage in 0.5 to 1 hr, put it all back together and reinstall. Assuming all you have to do replace the seals, bearings and washers. Should you have damaged to the wheel, shaft, et cetera...you'll have to order more parts.

Just make sure you buy a quality rebuilt kit (ebay is not a source of quality parts...). I just got my shipment for a td06 rebuild from gpopshop.com in the mail today.

siralys

I rebuilt mine and have absolutely no problems. Spools faster and no vibrations at 12psi. Let me know if you have any questions

MWP

I rebuilt my CT26 myself too.
$100 (AU) kit from ebay, 1/2 day to remove the turbo, 1 day to rebuild it, 1/2 day to put the turbo back on.

Was whistling like a kettle when cold beforehand, now all fixed.
Spools a little quicker, is still good for 16psi and no oil leaks.

I had no problem rebuilding it myself, but i do have a 1/2 decent set of tools.
Difficult bit was splitting the core from the exhaust housing, rest was easy.

As for the balancing issue, mark the comp wheel to the shaft before disassembly and youll be fine.

Pulling it apart
eNpVjk1vgzAMhv8K8n3gOB-k5tjDTpWmlTsKKSvZUoGgSKuq_vcFsR5q-eDnsfzKjku-zywZxuChmtlohoObfuZi76bsI_g0dDF4lx1rYXVBiLs3QamzepnaIfvs2iXEU9Ec3htNwuTf43kNUgxfIUaoAmPCFOud77uVxcbXfrm0z71g-F3P0icWETZz-zdmM5YhDuehGf0VqhNjrvC1iAiVMqh2pFEKiRatKslIKY2wwig0pKvHH1yRQTQ,.jpg

Old bearings
eNpVjk1vwjAMhv9K5fuo43w0uMcddkKaoPcqDR0EMrXqhwRC_HdSlR1m-eDnsfzKjgt-jCwZ-uChHNlohp0brmP-6YbsO_g0tDF4lx0qYXVOiNsPQamzah6aLtu3zRziMa93X7UmKjaX_rQEKYafECOUgTFhivXOn9uFxcrTef5t_vaC4bacpU8sIqzm_jZmNZYhdqeu7v0E5ZFxo_B_EREqZVBtSaMUEi1aVZCRUhphhVFoSJfPF13aQTY,.jpg

Old thrust plate
eNpVjk1vgzAMhv8K8n3gOB-k5tjDTpWmlTsKKSvZUoGgSKuq_vcFsR5q-eDnsfzKjku-zywZxuChmtlohoObfuZi76bsI_g0dDF4lx1rYXVBiLs3QamzepnaIfvs2iXEU9Ec3htNUuTf43kNUgxfIUaoAmPCFOud77uVxcbXfrm0z71g-F3P0icWETZz-zdmM5YhDuehGf0VqhNjrvC1iAiVMqh2pFEKiRatKslIKY2wwig0pKvHH1qnQTE,.jpg

New bearings, seals & thrust plate installed and reassembled
eNpVjk1vgzAMhv8K8n3gOB-k5tjDTpWmlTsKKSvZUoGgSKuq_vcFsR5q-eDnsfzKjku-zywZxuChmtlohoObfuZi76bsI_g0dDF4lx1rYXVBiLs3QamzepnaIfvs2iXEU9Ec3htNUubf43kNUgxfIUaoAmPCFOud77uVxcbXfrm0z71g-F3P0icWETZz-zdmM5YhDuehGf0VqhNjrvC1iAiVMqh2pFEKiRatKslIKY2wwig0pKvHH1vvQTM,.jpg

siralys

Yeah, I marked mine too and I definately agree that getting the center section split was by far the hardest part. Good that you took pics, I did mine 5 mins at a time in between apointments at our shop so didnt get any.

bloodMoney

This is a great start, but I'd love to see some detailed process pics though.... I've got 3 turbos sitting at home that need rebuilds...

~bloodMoney

88st165

Its super easy to seperate the center from the turbine housing if you heat the joint with a torch, heat gun, even a hair dryer.

MWP

88st165":24cpy0fv said:
Its super easy to seperate the center from the turbine housing if you heat the joint with a torch, heat gun, even a hair dryer.

I heated mine with a blow torch and it didnt help much.
It depends how old the turbo is, etc.
I ended up using a old wood chisel and hammer to get them apart.

celigts

Will the rebuild kits fix shaft play? I have one that I have as a spare and it has play. I'd like to eliminate that and redo the seals. Currently unemployed so I have the time to spend on rebuilding it.