ST165/ST185 Front Axles

RedCelicaTRD

Just wanting to post up a little bit of knowledge I have gained today while looking for a front axle for my ST165. All the aftermarket places will tell you they don't have one in stock and will have to order. They are trying to sell you Cardone part number 605031 or equivalent since this is what every catalog shows for a 88-93 AllTrac. However, if you have an ST165 or a non-abs ST185 you can use Cardone part number 605003 which is for a 1990 2.5l V6 Camry or Lexus ES250. The only difference is the 605031, which noone has in stock, has a tone ring for the abs pressed onto the axle. Since the ST165 has the abs tone ring on the hub, and non-abs ST185s won't even need it, this axle works just fine. Even in my dinky town a few stores had one in stock, or had one a short drive away at another store.

Hope this will help someone out who is in need!

Rick89GTS

RedCelicaTRD":26f2bezb said:
......However, if you have an ST165 or a non-abs ST185 you can use Cardone part number 605003 which is for a 1990 2.5l V6 Camry or Lexus ES250.....
Does it look identical to the OEM one?
Good info to have, thanks :)

LegacyofDan

thanks for sharing wayne :)

as a point of clarification and understanding, what about the ST165's with out ABS? will it work for those?

based on what you said yes, but figured i would ask just to be sure :)

RedCelicaTRD

Yes they will work for non-abs ST165s. As for looking identical, the only difference I could see is they Camry/Lexus axle did not have a secondary dust shield pressed on where a tone ring would be on an ST185. Since the dirt would still have to get passed the axle seal to get to the bearing I'm not worried.

RedCelicaTRD

After closer inspection and going through some old notes it looks like I was sold this axle before but I didn't know they had used a different application when they looked it up. The axle I just bought does not have the dust shield, but the one I bought a year or two does. It looks like the newest one had a "manufaturing defect" and was missing that shield.

wound3S

Yeah, some MR2 owners have used this axle as well as the ST165 axle in the "Mk 1.5" swap... 3s-gte into AW11. Most people are using the Camry axles now since they are actually available.

MXP_57

Hi guys, i am confused about the front axles.
I want to replace both side on my st165 (no abs). So both side are the same right?
But on the 1990 camry V6, they are both different no? Is it the Left one x2 that we need to buy? Is the differential side gear of the camry axle will fit in the alltrac gearbox?

Thank you!

Terracar

YEs I too am looking for a passenger side front axle for my alltrac w/no abs and nobody has them or can seem to get the right one. According to the dealership, per my VIN, my axles would $400+ each side.

Which side are we able to use?

* NVM - I am an idiot. We don't use the whole axle, just the half which are the same.

-Terracar

AM90ALLTRAC

I searched about 15-20 posts on axles in the forum and didn't find the answer so I hope someone can help me...

does a standard USDM ST185 Front axle / half axle bolt up to a 3rd gen JDM 3SGTE? I've had a small tear on my front driver cv boot for a little while not and by this point the axle is definitely needing replacement (makes a grinding noise sometimes on full lock to left).

Thanks in advance

MWP

MXP_57":29ijfpzh said:
Hi guys, i am confused about the front axles.
I want to replace both side on my st165 (no abs).

Why replace full halfshafts?
Just install new CV's on your current ones.
Easy enough to do... ive done it quite a few times now. CV's are cheap.

But on the 1990 camry V6....

Dont use Camry CV's.
A friend used some and had problems with the shaft nuts undoing themselves, even shearing through the split pins.
It seems the Camry CV's have slightly more spine, which means the nut tightens onto the spline instead of against the hub on a Celica :doh:

phattyduck

MWP":1hemhus7 said:
MXP_57":1hemhus7 said:
Dont use Camry CV's.
A friend used some and had problems with the shaft nuts undoing themselves, even shearing through the split pins.
It seems the Camry CV's have slightly more spine, which means the nut tightens onto the spline instead of against the hub on a Celica :doh:
I'm very curious about this one... Did your friend use the correct nut/washer combo (or flange nut, depending)? The front hub assembly part number for the SV21/VZV21/SV25 Camry is the same as the part number for the ST16x Celica (43502-32040) for at least part of its production. The wheel bearings and other parts are the same too.

Keep in mind these axles are now very old and may have been mistreated in their earlier life (subjected to loose axle nuts, etc.). I broke one at the dragstrip with my FWD 3s-gte Camry without much of a launch where it goes into the hub (back side).

-Charlie

boost_creep

another thing about cv shafts on st185 dont know if anyone mentioned it but both cv shafts are identical for the abs st185...front right and front left are identical...