Apexi EL mechanical boost gauge (black face)

four twenty

Has anyone installed this gauge on their GT Four?

I was going to buy my friend's when he trades his Eclipse GSX in for a new car. However, on the way back from the LA Auto Show, the EL backlight on his gauge mysteriously went out and is still not illuminating. We haven't had time to take a serious look at it but I'm interested to know if this is a wiring problem or a problem with the gauge itself. He had the gauge installed 2 1/2 years ago and has never had any problems until last night.

I also noticed that prior to going out, the gauge was always illuminated (even with the headlights off). Is that the way it's supposed to be?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm interested in this gauge.

eggbeater59":s9irr0nm said:
well the first step would be to check and see if the wire is still connected.

I agree. Sounds obvious, but either your power or ground is not working. Start by tracing the wire.

SuperWhite92

my autometer did this. it was where i connected the wires from the gauge to the ones i ran to a light source.

The "on all the time" thing would be determined by where he tapped the light source in. I suppose if you tapped into Ignition, then it would be on whenever the car was. Just tap it off the cigarette lighter and you'll be fine.

four twenty

You guys were right. The wire was a bit brittle. We spent some time relpacing the wire and fasteners yesterday. The gauge is fine. My friend says that the APEXi EL gauges don't have bulbs as they're based on electro luminescence (wrong spelling?) technology. I guess it's similar to Indiglo or something.

My buddy plans on trading in his Eclipse after taxes so I'll probably buy it off him for around $75.

Thanks everybody.