List of 8" woofers that fit the door panels

RedCelicaTRD

concealer404":opv902ko said:
A month and a half later... :p I'm going to ask why it wouldn't be a good idea to power these speakers through a deck?

Speakers don't "pull" power, if that's what you're getting at.

In order for a speak to sound its best it needs to have power. Those speakers have a fairly high RMS and I would assume the sensitivity is low, so if you where to power them off the deck it wont sound very good. The deck doesn't push enough power to make those sound good.

concealer404

RedCelicaTRD":8awtss8w said:
concealer404":8awtss8w said:
A month and a half later... :p I'm going to ask why it wouldn't be a good idea to power these speakers through a deck?

Speakers don't "pull" power, if that's what you're getting at.

In order for a speak to sound its best it needs to have power. Those speakers have a fairly high RMS and I would assume the sensitivity is low, so if you where to power them off the deck it wont sound very good. The deck doesn't push enough power to make those sound good.

The deck doesn't push enough power to make ANYTHING sound good....

I was just asking why he thought it wasn't a great idea. It's not going to hurt anything, is what i was trying to get at.

WarTowels

concealer404":3smcqxad said:

I was just asking why he thought it wasn't a great idea. It's not going to hurt anything, is what i was trying to get at.

I don't think it's not a great idea, because it isn't a great idea.

A) As Wayne stated, it will sound far less that optimum.

B) If you overpower an amp in an attempt to provide more power, it can damage the speakers.

So... not really sure what your getting at.

-Towels

concealer404

WarTowels":rpm54yrl said:
concealer404":rpm54yrl said:

I don't think it's not a great idea, because it isn't a great idea.

A) As Wayne stated, it will sound far less that optimum.

B) If you overpower an amp in an attempt to provide more power, it can damage the speakers.

So... not really sure what your getting at.

-Towels

All i was getting at was making sure that the common misconception that speakers "pull" power wasn't present. It's been prevalent across all the boards that i frequent lately.

But yes, i agree with both points, but neither are the end of the world if you exercise some common sense and caution and don't constantly play your music at levels that produce distortion.

As alluded to, nothing sounds good just running off a deck. :p

athousandleaves

Just tried to mount a set of kickers in my friends trac yesterday...
TOTAL HEADACHE! :doh:
were going to have to grind the doors down to make room for the speakers even after cutting the plastic up and resoldering the connectors to longer wires.

I can post some pictures if anyone is interested...

GT4RC

They don't pull power, but they do have a power rating. if you put speakers that are higher rated than the amp, and then crank up the gains to try and make em loud, not only can you blow the amp, but the distortion from the gains being cranked up will make them sound like shit.

spend $50 and get a used basic 4 channel speaker amp.

athousandleaves

Kicker SSMB8's
I'll post pictures later tonight from home.

Has anyone else had to grind the door down to fit these in? Or am I installing them all wrong? :shrug:

athousandleaves

photo-3.jpg

photo3-2.jpg

photo2-2.jpg

The speakers are at my friends place (masco's) currently but basically the magnet was too big to fit in the oddly shaped hole without grinding it down at the bottom edge to make room for it.

As I said earlier they're Kicker SSMB8's.

Thanks for the link GT4RC; I'm giving it a look right now & I'll send it to masco too.

wyomingtoy

To grind down the speaker hole try using a Dremel cut-off attachment. I had to cut the bottom edge. Use a piece of paper to make a template of the rear of the Kickers. Transfer that template to the door and you will see where and how much you have to cut. It is not a lot. Watch out for the plastic tube behind the metal containing wiring. I popped the darts holding the plastic tube and moved it out of the way before cutting. It is fairly soft metal, so should take too much work. Good luck.

athousandleaves

yeah the metal is pretty soft accept where the join is... For sure when I do this to my alltrac I'm going to get something that shallow mounts. I currently have my stock speakers faded just a bit to the rear and it actually sounds really decent.

boogie07

I just installed a set of Kicker SSMB8 on my GT-S. Here are some pics. Not too bad if you have a dremel tool.

IMG_5095.jpg

IMG_5094.jpg

IMG_5096.jpg

IMG_5097.jpg

IMG_5098.jpg

athousandleaves

yeah, looks like you had to grind the door there...
Finally managed to get my friends in without grinding anything by instead mounting an MDF ring between the speakers & livesound plastic fiy 1/2" is too thinck for proper door panel clearance

GT4RC

athousandleaves":31bmawg4 said:
yeah, looks like you had to grind the door there...
Finally managed to get my friends in without grinding anything by instead mounting an MDF ring between the speakers & livesound plastic fiy 1/2" is too thinck for proper door panel clearance

Cool, glad to hear it worked for ya :)