Group buy for a ST165 CF vented or scooped or other hood

LegacyofDan

okay, that is one hell of a title...

on to business, there has been many of topics/posts brought up about ST165 hoods and no aftermarket support for them. well from what i know of(key words, from what i know of, so dont say use the search button or crap like that, i know it has been brought up before.) there doesn't seem to be any attempts to get a group buy going for a vented, or scooped, or both, or whatever the masses may desire(of course we will have decide on only one) type of hood....

so here is my attempt to try to get a group buy going for the ST165, first off:

Question # 1

what do you guys want for a hood?

alltrac style?
ST205 style?(like esracing's)
some sort of customized hood scoop deal?
some sort of customized vented hood deal?
or a combination of both customized hood/vent deals?

personally i would like the ST205 style, its efficient and looks good. i personally would like something that helps vent off all that freaking heat that is built up under that hood and cool things down inside there, also i don't want some wacky crazy stupid design is simply cosmetic rather than efficient. but that is just my opinion.

so what do YOU guys want?

Question # 2

what companies would you guys prefer?

VIS www.visracing.com/
Seibon www.seiboncarbon.com/
fibereffects www.fibereffects.com/
JSP www.jspamerica.com/
carbon creations www.carbon-creations.com/
carbon fiber hoods www.carbonfiberhoods.net/

i know there are alot of companies out there, but those were the quickest ones i could find through google, so what companies do you guys want to pursue after?

Question # 3

Who will be the main man(or chick) that does all the communication between us and company? like what Rick did for the aluminum rad's

i would step up to do it, but i have never done this before, so i dont think i'm suited for it...right now i'm just trying to get the ball rolling for the hoods to get done, since i know there are plenty of alltrac guys and 162 guys that would be interested in this...

Question # 4

Who is interested??

come ST165 guys, lets get the ball rolling! lets get us a hood!!!

:rally the troops:

Celica Turbo

Nice project!

My FRP hood i`ve imported and modified was very expensive, but realy unique.

1850 USD for the FRP hood from Japan (include shipping to my door)
200 USD for the FRP hood duct
1250 USD for modification

3300 USD for my FRP Hood :shoots:

But, it looks awesome 8)

Good luck to the project to create a nice hood for the ST165.

best regards

Celica Turbo

Rick89GTS

I guess we'll have to get this going to see what kind of price point we can achieve. That, for me, is the main thing: affordability. I'll chime in again later, gotta run now.

___Scott___

Scoops don't make any sense on an ST165, so vents of some sort.

In order to get people to commit $, we need pics of the hood design options. Then we need a consensus on the look of the design. I think it's going to be tough to get a consensus. Personally I prefer a stealth look, so that precludes a CS type of design and an EVO type design. However I know other people like those designs.

Just my $0.02USD

LegacyofDan

/\ thanks guys i knew i wasnt the only one :)...and dear god celica turbo you spent some serious cash on ur hood, i thought eric was crazy at 1600, but u prize for that...

i too agree ...against the scooped idea that is, i said it since i know others would desire it, or i was assuming others may desire it...

all i want is air flow in my engine bay that is lightweight, will not rust, and doesn't look absolutely ridiculous. price is important to me, hense why i'm trying to get the idea of a group buy going, it will be far cheaper for us if alot of us 4 gen owners were to participate in a group buy

and actually i'm prolly going to post a link to this at st162.net

Mafix

i'm interested. pending on price ideas.
but of course we should get carbon headlight covers as well with the hood.

BoNkErZz

Im Down For a CF Hood... Seibon.. st205 but since its hard times and all i would like Cheap or at least a fair price

klue

Im down for a CF hood. But depends on price, im not wanting to pay more than 5-600.

I would prefer non cs/205 as it does not suit the body lines

PatmanBBE

I am in 110%!!!!!

I would like a vented hood for sure, scoop just doesnt make functional sense to me for the 165. I want a nice big vent but am not really wanting the whole 205 look as it has too many curves for the body style of the 165. Heres a couple of pics of designs that I like:

hoodvent3.jpg

hoodvent4.jpg

hoodvent2.jpg

hoodvent1.jpg

The last one i think is ok. the vented area should probably be closer to the front of the hood. If we can get a good layout of these hoods on a 165 we could see which would look the best. Someone work some photoshop magic!!

LegacyofDan

ah here we go guys! i knew there were more 165 owners out there!

alright fantastic, so we all pretty much agree that we want a vented hood, NOT scooped(atleast most everyone seems to)

now some people are against the ST205 scoop look on the 165 and while others are pro it

PatmanBBE provided pictures of the style of vents that he thinks would be good, anyone else??

what do other people think of those pics? pro or con?

Wonderz

I am interested but it all comes down to price for me, i like the look of large Vents like the pics PatmanBBE posted

Kcman91gts

It would come down to price as previously stated by other members , but i would really like to see something with either vents like on an evo or like the 185 RC edition with the vent and small vent where the cam gears are located.

Mafix

vote for evo vents from me.
things i want:
has to be braced
has to have a nice gell coat
has to utilize stock hood latch and hinges

monkey8oi

I agree with everyone that it should be a vent style. i'm not really looking for anything too crazy in design. Just want something functional and simple. i was planning on doing a custom vent on the extra hood i have laying around. something like this http://www.240sx.org/links/installs/hood/hood.htm

looks pretty clean and doesn't seem too difficult but if i could get it done in CF, that would be great.

seabrook71

I'm in the process of graphing a fiberglass st205 vent onto a stock steel hood then using it as a template for a carbon fiber skin. I have a guy in Sherwood, Oregon (Bishop Custom) that does the carbon fiber. I'm still in the prototype stage but I think it will turn out nice. I will post pics as soon as I get a camera.