Koso gauges

CMS-GT4

Anyone have any info or feedback on Koso gauges? I have read good things on their motorcycle gauges, but have not found anything on the car ones yet.

It seems they might be an affordable alternative to for high end gauges (from what I read) if the reviews are as good for the auto brand.

http://www.kosonorthamerica.com/

CMS-GT4

I think that setup is meant for a bike, but its interesting that it can be converted to a full car setup.

I was looking at egt, fuel pressure, and boost all for under $200 usd. All stepper motored, with its own ecu control unit.

All the reviews I have read seem to put them in the middle of the rung on quality. The few I have seen with problems have been fixed with no problem with returns from the company.

I need more instruments, and considering the price, they seem like a decent setup. The only real car feedback I could find were on the subaru forums.

Now I just got to sell my front calipers to have the budget for them.

cozmic512

I am in the market for gauges, I think I need 4 or 5
IC water temp, boost (greddy doesnt make the green one anymore),
egt, oil temp, oil pressure, engine water temp? A/F
I have to say I like the koso gauges.
but how are they in comparison to say
the stri, or revolution gauges? look cool but low quality?
and what about to auto meter?
the hks gauges are ugly IMO
then you have to ask, are the sard, greddy, aem gauges worth the price
and you really want the control units?
there are so many, but I think I need a dial for everything but the A/F ratio
I just like to look at a gauge. not a black circle.

redGT4

Autometer is no 1 in my book. Huge range and top quality American made. I've got the CF series. best value for money as well.

RedCelicaTRD

The best thing about AutoMeter is some of their lines have every gauge option you could ever think of. The quality has also gotten better over the past few years since they have been redesigning the inner workings of their gauges. However, that doesn't mean other gauges are good also. My opinion is find a gauge that looks good to you, fits where you need it and also has all the gauge options you need. Nothing worse then having multiple style gauges in one car, imo.

cozmic512

RedCelicaTRD":265ocg2u said:
The best thing about AutoMeter is some of their lines have every gauge option you could ever think of. The quality has also gotten better over the past few years since they have been redesigning the inner workings of their gauges. However, that doesn't mean other gauges are good also. My opinion is find a gauge that looks good to you, fits where you need it and also has all the gauge options you need. Nothing worse then having multiple style gauges in one car, imo.

I agree. theres nothing worse than having all diff gauges. I bought a greddy boost gauge years ago because it lit up green and now its useless because they dont make them anymore. autometer def has the most options far as style goes.

CMS-GT4

I have autometer right now. I had one fail on me, but it was after it sat in the car for 5 years. I like the Z series because it matches the look of the oem gauges better than most. I have never been a fan of bright neon odd colored gauges. I like a sense of unity in design of my cockpit.

cozmic512

I agree with the z series autometer. but they dont have certain ones in electrical which I think is weird. maybe its thought of as a entry level or something.
I think I am going to try the koso gauges. I like the style and they are similar to the hks, greddy, sard ones with their electronics, stepper motors etc.
They have all 6 meters I think we need, boost, egt, water and oil temp, oil pressure and a/f ratio. even though I already have an innovate gauge for that. Ill wait to get that one or go with the digital one. for some reason that is only gauge I think need to be digital.
anyway, Ill let you know how they are when they get here.
2 at a time probably... ;)

CMS-GT4

If you try Koso go to ebay. There is a seller in canada who has them for cheap. I was able to get egt, boost, and fuel pressure all for under 200 usd. He has good feedback but not a lot of sale yet.

cozmic512

did you order from him yet?
they are brand new, and complete.
so I actually just did.
I got boost, egt and water temp (for I/C) for $180 plus 20 ship.

he's sending them out today.
hope they are the quality I expect.
Ill let you know how it goes when they get here.

CMS-GT4

I did not get them yet. I am sort of waiting because I might be either puting that money into brakes, restoration parts or gauges. I was not in much of a hurry till I get my car back. Do you have a boost gauge already? I was wanting to hook it side to side with my autometer gauge to see how accurate the Koso is.

cozmic512

I do. I have a greddy boost gauge, not in psi of course.
but I can run them both and see what if any differences.

although, I am still a few weeks away from running the car.

CMS-GT4

If you have a mac you can download a widget for the dashboard to convert bar to psi. If you have a PC there are tons of sites out there you can google for an accurate conversion.

Take pics if you do not mind. If you have any problems let Koso know right away. The few problems I have seen Koso has resolved.

CMS-GT4

I won't know much anytime soon. I leave for maylasia next week and will be getting it back in the middle of June when I get back.

cozmic512

yea, I have a couple of spreadsheets with conversions.
no mac for me.
I will take pics def. once I get the car running I will be posting up everything in My Projects. hopefully, as Ive been taking pics most of the way.
have fun in Malaysia. If my cars not running by the time you get back Ill prob be dead under it... ;)

whats up mike, you know I tried to get the greddy exhaust, but to order it new there was a lead time of at least 6 months. can you believe it?
so I found out hks had one more hi power in the country so I ordered that instead.

Nitro_Alltrac

CMS-GT4":1pj1v3h7 said:
I won't know much anytime soon. I leave for maylasia next week and will be getting it back in the middle of June when I get back.

I knew you were going soon. Maybe the painter will have you ready to go when you get back. That would be a good present. :D

CMS-GT4

Yes, it would be a nice gift. I got to fix the Z when I get back though. New AC and strut mount.