parking-brake shoes

Rick89GTS

aubeone":1g7bq56x said:
As an update, the first thing I did when I got home from work (after eating) was to check on the part numbers (parking brake parts) between the st165 and liftback gts...and they're identical!
This is great info to know. Thanks. Let us know when you get it all installed.
:)

esracing

ok fyi i have a 165 and orderd pbs and got them they were wrong ,i told him it has abs , we had to order none abs shoes , the diff was the pivit pin hole at the top was larger on the 1st set the rite one are smaller hole

aubeone

The parts I found locally are identical to the parts that came off my car! I have already swapped the pins over to return the shoes for a $20 core...Pics of the part will be up soon :D

Here are the Part Numbers;

Part Supplier Part Number Cost
Shoe Set (Yes, all four) Absco A859 $27.86
Hardware Kit (Complete) Carlson 17390 $31.33

Incase you have a hard time finding a local supplier or shop that deals with Absco or Carlson, here is the contact information for the shop that I got mine through.

Peterborough Automotive
Chris or Randy
Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
(705) 742-2446

aubeone

I took a few pictures comparing the Parking Brake Shoes that came off the car with the new ones. By the time I got the camera out I had already swapped the pin...

IMG_1113.jpg

IMG_1114.jpg

IMG_1115.jpg

IMG_1116.jpg

aubeone

I am hoping to get the replacement hard lines for the rear brakes tonight, bend and install and then get things back together, so I'll hopefully be posting some pics of the set-up for all to see for fitment and multi-coloured fashion :D

aubeone

I can't post the pics from work, but in my sig is the link to my build page where there are pics of all the new brake bits.

Verdict: Everything fit perfectly and the only piece that wasn't included was the "spreader" bar, which of course I cleaned-up and painted lol

Total Cost:

Original Purchase $89.00
Core Return (20.00)
Final Tally $69.00 Canadian

LegacyofDan

i had my buddy at advanced auto source me the shoes for 31 bucks.

but i'm sorta perplexed...i have the shoes condensed as small as the lil gear adjusting thing allows it to get, and i have the e brake down, and i even loosened the cable on the ebrake just to be sure, but my rotors will not fit over my shoes.

the shoes are dead identical, the only difference lie between their condition, brand new vs used.

i even wire brushed and sanded the drum portion of the rotor in case the lil itty bitty amount of surface rust was causing it to not go in. still no luck.

i know its a really simple job. and its embarrassing to ask, but wtf could i be doing wrong? :oops: :(

aubeone

If the bottoms are in as far as they'll go, try checking the top. I had inadvertantly tried to install the bar and spring backward on the first side, but quickly realized the mistake when I took it back out and saw that there is an extra bit of room on one side for the lever that makes the whole thing work.

Could that be it?

Failing that, I find that if I dont get thing together perfect the first time, if I take it apart and start over the second time works like a charm. Counter productive maybe, but that's how you take a two month project into it's second year without seeing light at the end of the tunnel...though it's more about my time and level of interest at this point lol

gpmarzan

LegacyofDan":2ua298a8 said:
i had my buddy at advanced auto source me the shoes for 31 bucks.

but i'm sorta perplexed...i have the shoes condensed as small as the lil gear adjusting thing allows it to get, and i have the e brake down, and i even loosened the cable on the ebrake just to be sure, but my rotors will not fit over my shoes.

the shoes are dead identical, the only difference lie between their condition, brand new vs used.

i even wire brushed and sanded the drum portion of the rotor in case the lil itty bitty amount of surface rust was causing it to not go in. still no luck.

i know its a really simple job. and its embarrassing to ask, but wtf could i be doing wrong? :oops: :(

which shoes did you use? GTS?

LegacyofDan

i did what aubeone said took it apart and put back together, still same problem, and i checked that piece you were talking about, i put it in right

how would i distinguish between the GTS and AT shoes? since the brackets are the exact same where the shoe-pad rests on....

i will be honest this is the fist time i have ever changed shoes in my life, i'm used to brake pads since i have done those plenty of times for my self and friends but never shoes, but i had my father take a look and help the second time, and he too is stunned...

does the GTS have a thicker shoe pad than the AT?

but i'm at the point where everything works, and i'm about to say eff it and just put the ol' shoes back on....

Mafix

napa shoe part number
UP10859PB
looks like this is the hold down kit. they do not list a complete hardware kit
UP 80975

Rallly

aubeone":1tuvf86j said:
The parts I found locally are identical to the parts that came off my car! I have already swapped the pins over to return the shoes for a $20 core...Pics of the part will be up soon :D

Here are the Part Numbers;

Part Supplier Part Number Cost
Shoe Set (Yes, all four) Absco A859 $27.86
Hardware Kit (Complete) Carlson 17390 $31.33

Incase you have a hard time finding a local supplier or shop that deals with Absco or Carlson, here is the contact information for the shop that I got mine through.

Peterborough Automotive
Chris or Randy
Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
(705) 742-2446

Is this for the ST185 AllTrac Celica?