Texas Gathering Ideas?

MixMaster

James,
Glad you're coming down. You'l have to give me a ride in the VR-4. I've always like those cars as well.

My AT started making a ticking sound above the valve cover on the passenger side. It only does it when I free rev it when standing still and sounds like a lifter. You can't hear it inside the car but with the hood up, hit the throttle cable and sure enough. Oil level looked good, scan tool shows no knock, no trouble codes...

Also the new Torsen I put in seems to be spraying/leaking around the pinion seal or prop shaft. It's weird because it's not wet at where the seal would be but there's gear oil on the crossmember and on the underbody. I wiped it off, drove around and it came back. So wtf ever..... Maybe I installed the propshaft wrong.

Sooooooo hopefully mine will make it for the whole cruise.....lol
If it blows up, I'm sending it to ATS for a 3rd gen swap.

Keri,
I'm sending u a 2nd version of the map. Apparently when I saved it to my maps it removed the routes destinations to driving points.

Lastly, this same weekend is the Big ROT harley rally in Austin, Robbie Knievel is jumping 12 trucks Friday night, the city is going to be packed and driving roads full of motorcycles.

darthripley

James - didn't realize you had a brand new motor in the VR4 - we can take it easy - don't want to blow it just fooling around.

Paul - that almost sounds like your valves need adjusting.
Our Torsen started leaking too & is leaking now very slowly.
I just don't really give a crap about it at this point - I hope I can locate a clutch type LSD soon b/c I don't care for the Torsen anyways.
Vadar's "new" 205 tranny is leaking slowly also - a stupid seal where the driver's side axle stub goes :x

I got your newest map - we can tweak it a little here & there but its looking good.
I mentioned the bike thing to the guys on 6gc so we'll see what they say about it.
I'm just so exhausted from so much going on here right now I can't see straight :(

Hotrodhendrix

Yeah even the turbos have 0 miles lol. It should be fun though.. Mine at base boost is around 360-375 bhp but weighs about as much as a 747.

I had the same issue with my transmission seals. Even when I put a new one in it still wanted to leak. I ended up using some gasket maker on it and it worked like a charm. Thats until my transmission cooler line dumped all the fluid and killed my tranny. :cry:

Hotrodhendrix

"My AT started making a ticking sound above the valve cover on the passenger side. It only does it when I free rev it when standing still and sounds like a lifter. You can't hear it inside the car but with the hood up, hit the throttle cable and sure enough. Oil level looked good, scan tool shows no knock, no trouble codes... "

Yep sounds like lifter tick to me. Just about every 3kgt ever built does this as well. Its not engine threatening just annoying. Alot of this depends on oils and the length between the change. Now if its ALWAYS there and only in one spot you have a bigger issue with the lifter. If so its time for that swap or rebuild. Personally I would stick with the 2nd gen thanks to the large amount of parts available for it and easy installation. Just upgrade the differences to get same performance and save some money.

We can talk more about that in Austin. :D

darthripley

Hotrodhendrix":cv9yk72j said:
Yeah even the turbos have 0 miles lol. It should be fun though.. Mine at base boost is around 360-375 bhp but weighs about as much as a 747.

I had the same issue with my transmission seals. Even when I put a new one in it still wanted to leak. I ended up using some gasket maker on it and it worked like a charm. Thats until my transmission cooler line dumped all the fluid and killed my tranny. :cry:

ooooh nice bhp numbers! :D
how much boost are you running?

i estimate R2 makes around 175hp @14psi but he weighs a whole lot less obviously lol
i am thinking weight on him is somewhere around 2000-2100lbs --- i really need to find a damn scale to take him to & get the weight.

i'm tempted to use some tranny fipg until i get the seals.
i've never had a car leak so much different fluid argh! :x

Towels & James -- we're free Friday nite ... do ya'll wanna meet up then?
i can keep you updated on Vadar's progress, but no promises he'll be able to make it out this week.

Hotrodhendrix

Friday night is good for me! VR4 may or may not be there. We ran into a small issue with my custom headlights were building for it. Plus I will have to get some insurance on it first which cost that green stuff I dont have lol. At least the DD audi is still AWD TT. :)

Shes running 9psi at the moment which is the spring rate for the 13T turbos I have on it. Now that I add up the numbers those are a bit high that I told you. 350-360 is more likely. After break in period I est her to hit just under 500 bhp after a good tune. Sounds like alot but it takes alot to push around that kind of weight (3760). :twisted:

darthripley

ahh well 350-360 is still nothing to sneeze at lol
once you get her 100% going & all we'll have to meet up & have a little fun w/R2 ... no way Vadar will stand a chance he's too slow & heavy :cry:

R2 could be making more than 175 @ the crank but i don't like to throw out high numbers when i don't know.
we're gonna have to rebuild his transmission soon tho ... 2nd & 3rd gear synchros are starting to go :(

i didn't know you had an Audi - those are nice. we drove a new one recently & i liked it a lot.
can the Audi still have some fun w/R2? :D

MixMaster

James, is it an S4?

I had an A4 for about 6 yrs, got 160k out of it til, it finally bit the dust. Had the TB snap at 100k, 2 turbos, power windows broke and slid down, started dropping coolant, ate 3 turbos, 1 tranny...but I still love the styling of the Audis.... especially all the S models.

Hotrodhendrix

LOL wish I could say it is an audi A8 or something like that. But no I got it just before I got laid off as a nice DD that had a bit of balls. Its an 01 Audi A6 2.7 Quattro biturbo. Its something like 250 bhp/300 torque but its got a really nice torque band so it picks up and goes nicely. I have taken mustangs, N/A 3000gt's and almost took an LS1 Camaro. I love it. Great quality, fun to drive, look decent, AWD, TT, TONS of options etc. Lets just put it this way.. When I raced the Camaro I had my sunroof open, 3 other people in the car and heated seats on. :p

I dont think I can go back to DD a sports car after this lol.

Hotrodhendrix

Doesnt look like im gonna be able to make it friday. I have a graduation to go to at 7 somewhere near Dallas.

When you leaving Towels?

WarTowels

I leave Sunday at 1:00.

Today is all bogged down, tomorrow I have a wedding reception, Saturdays the wedding- but I guess I'd be done early afternoon...?

-Greg

darthripley

i don't know if we can do saturday nite or not - i'm thinking no unfortunately.
we've got to go to my parent's place - my mom's birthday is today & we can't make it over there till saturday.

sorry guys :(

we'll see you next weekend though James @ the meet in Austin :D

Hotrodhendrix

WarTowels":19fthiol said:
Saturday night would be my best bet.

-Greg

Fing VR4 is still acting up so I will be in the audi. Do you wanna meet up somewhere? Or if you want you can come out to my place and see the cars.

~James

darthripley

we can't make it. gotta go over to my parents around 7pm saturday nite.
we could have made it out in the afternoon, but i know Towels can't, so sorry guys.

WarTowels

Keri, James, - super sorry but the wedding will be eating the rest of my time here. Between the reception after wards, clean up, ect. I won't be done for a long long time.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to swing by, I was looking forward to it. Maybe next time I'm down here..... you guys will have running Alltracs. 8)

-Greg

darthripley

Here's all the info for everyone wanting to attend the meet w/a couple of Alltracs, 6th gen Celicas, some MKII MR2's, MKIII Supra's & a few other misc cars in Austin this Saturday:

Meeting Place: HEB Grocery Store Parking Lot 12860 N Highway 183 78750

Time: 11:30 a.m.

We will meet, visit, check out cars, take pics etc @ the HEB Parking Lot
There is a gas station near there as well so everyone can get gas that needs it.
Make sure you have plenty of gas for the cruise before we start off.
Bring your own food (sandwiches etc) or pick some up @ the grocery store or gas station etc.
Bring PLENTY of drinks - water, gatorade etc. It will be well over 90+ degrees
Bring Sunblock if you burn easily & Bring extra coolant, oil etc for your car.
We will eat lunch & hang out there in the parking lot.

We will roll out for the cruise around 12:45pm --- NO Later than 1p.m.
If you are running late, call Death - but we are not going to stand around & wait for you.

Here is a link to the Map of the Cruise Route w/directions:

http://www.imageartstudio.com/justjoe/i ... uise09.pdf

Print out a copy for yourself if you want.

It is approx. 3 hours worth of driving - if that is too much for you don't come - no one wants to hear you complain about your sore left leg & the heat.
Some roads are very tight, twisty and dangerous. Know the limits of your car and do not push yourself or the car too far.
We don't want any accidents or injuries.
Try to keep a safe following distance with the car in front of you.
Don't get too far behind, but don't stay too close in case of sudden braking.
Please remember -- These are public roads with other drivers using them.
If the car in front of you is going too slow, pass when it is safe - click on your brights or something to let them know you are going to pass.
DO NOT PASS TOO MANY CARS AT ONE TIME! It's dangerous & disrespectful - end of story.
We will do our best to make sure no one gets left behind on the cruise.
We will go through an area with stop lights - so we will pull off & wait for anyone who gets left behind @ a red light.

There is a stop at the 360 bridge parking garage for pics, stretch & car cool-down time.
We may have another stop @ Mt. Bonnell which has the best scenery in the city.

The final stop is Rudy's BBQ 11570 Research Blvd 78759
We can eat an early dinner there hang out etc. then everyone can do whatever they want - go home, continue hanging out @ a local meet or whatever.

BIG BIG THANKS TO MIXMASTER for helping to come up with this fun & varied route for us to enjoy this year!

I'm going to be busy all week going to the dentist Monday, extra work Tues & Wed, rest of the week working out kinks on Vadar & getting him ready to drive down.
I'll do my best to check in here as often as I can.
If you have any questions or concerns, PM myself or Mixmaster.

Looking forward to seeing as many Alltracs as possible this weekend!!
Wishful thinking I know, but at least we won't be alone this year thanks to Mixmaster!! :D