Edmonton Mechanics?

Yowzas

Does anyone know of any good mechanics in Edmonton, AB that will work on a 91 Celica GT4? (RHD).
I heard Toytech was good but they just told me they don't work on RHD's...

No Spin

Toy Tech worked on RHD a year ago. They did a couple of small jobs for me and I saw them replacing the motor on another GT4 and they also replaced a few heads on the problematic 2.4 Diesels from the Toyota SUVs.

Maybe they got tired of the hassle of trying to find parts for RHD. They are used to sourcing parts locally, and the RHD ones get zero support from the dealerships. The time spent digging up parts doesn't make them extra money...

Yowzas

I wanted to get my Power steering pump and hose replaced. I called a couple mechanics. They just started asking me about the car. then when it came down to is it RHD? I said yes and they told me they don't work on those..

Maybe they got tired of the hassle of trying to find parts for RHD. They are used to sourcing parts locally, and the RHD ones get zero support from the dealerships. The time spent digging up parts doesn't make them extra money...

Probably the reason. Makes sense considering the difficulty i'm having lol. but still. does anyone know any good mechanics? I think Silver stone tried to screw me a little while ago.. so i don't think i want to go there.

No Spin

Yowzas":1kj45ak5 said:
I wanted to get my Power steering pump and hose replaced. I called a couple mechanics. They just started asking me about the car. then when it came down to is it RHD? I said yes and they told me they don't work on those..

Probably the reason. Makes sense considering the difficulty i'm having lol. but still. does anyone know any good mechanics? I think Silver stone tried to screw me a little while ago.. so i don't think i want to go there.

It's probably my fault...they tried to source a steering rack for me and wasted a bunch of time looking for one. They were used to buying a full "long" rack and had a tough time digging up anything close from the dealerships, who are very anti-JDM. I didn't have much better luck looking for JDM parts.

I did buy a used RHD rack from a clip someone on here had for sale and it's still sitting in my garage. My plan was to get a rebuild kit and rebuild it...but it seems the only place around that rebuilt racks quit doing it, so you would have to go to a steering place that sells the kit and experiment. There was a guy at one industrial place that sold the rebuild kits that said he would let his guys try to rebuild it, but it wouldn't be cheap. Then a deer killed my car, and I never had to fix it.

Yowzas

Ah well. can't be helped. i'm having a tough time doing stuff with this car.
Sooo lucky this site is here. Information is soo scattered on the net.

and mechanics either say they won't work on it or... "I'll call you back" and never do lol.

Does anyone know if it's possible to replace the power steering pump with the space they give you under the car? or am i going to have to start taking parts out to make room?

DudeMan

I basically gave up on the idea of having someone else work on my car. Mine is LHD so I can take it to any Toyota Stealership I want but it is NOT worth it. I have over $20,000 worth of paperwork the previous owner had done to my car and it didn't get him very far. He didn't modify or anything he was basically just doing maintenance, through Toyota.

When I thought my head gasket was blown I went to a private Toyota shop right by my house and I was quoted over $5,000 just for an engine rebuild. I laughed at the guy and left.

Now my plan is to rebuild it myself in my garage this winter.. It's a daunting task as I'm no mechanic but I am very convinced that anyone is capable of doing their own work as long as they have the time, tools, mental capacity and of course the BGB and this site.

Six months ago, if I popped the hood on my car (or any car for that matter) I wouldn't of had a clue what was what. But after doing a lot of reading and working on my car all the time I'm starting to know the name and function of nearly everything.

Do you have a garage? Any mechanic tools?

Costs $50 bones for a hard copy of the BGB if you download it and take it to a professional printer. :smokes:

Yowzas

I like your style dudeman.
I'm starting to give up on the idea of having someone else work on it.
So far i've noticed that..
1. they try like crazy to rip you off.
2. most don't want to even try working on it
3. ones that do... probably might end up messing something up.

SowndWave

Only shop in town I really trust to work on stuff for me is project omega. It's basically an aftermarket tuning shop though, and might not help you with your p/s problem. Rob has been a good guy to deal with, he's one of the few mechanics out there who "get it." 780-628-4617

The only licensed mechanic I take my cars to is myself, so I don't really know anyone else. Before you ask, I already have my plate full in regards to work haha, but I can help you internet-wise here and there. Though I rarely check the forum...

Doing it yourself often is a good idea tho! Hope something here helps.

PS: You probably want to remove the axle on that side of the car to remove the p/s pump easier, its what I did to remove the pump once upon a time.

Yowzas

thnx.
More than likely i'm goign to try replacing my high pressure hose first then.. i dunno. see how far I can go with it. I think it might even be leaking from the resevoir or the hoses attached to it but i'll probably do it during the winter when i'm not driving it... incase something happens

DudeMan

I got a power steering leak that's getting worse also.

Its such a pain to work on anything steering related with the engine in that I might just wait until its out this winter.

alistair

I've got a similar issue in my st165. Epic powersteering leak in one of the high pressure hoses.

Previous owner did some shotty work on it, I've got heater hoses in random places, low quality vaccum hoses in some spots, and the guy damn near welded my crankshaft pulley belt in place.

I deal with Ray @ plaizers for most of my important stuff ( Like Brakes ) and other things that are a complete whore to do without a hoist. He also looks after my Daily driver and does an awesome job and prices are reasonable.

I'm still not quite sure if I'll ever get my Power steering fixed, as I'm looking at several hundred dollars for the hose, then possibly more for labour to get someone to replace it.

I've seen the members on here replace their ps pumps and hoses, and I'm not sure if it's something I want to go through, especially after I just did my timing belt/water pump.

Having no PS is fun at times, annoying at other times.

Yowzas

There's a right up for a st165 for ps hose and pump replacement. It looks simple... but that's always how it seems. Also, I've been looking for parts and rockauto prices seem pretty good. Might want to take a look at that if your ever going to take a swing at your car.