ASI Radiators: Pics P.16; Info P.17 & 18

timmey

For some reason I didn't realize yours is a st165.

That makes sense I don't have one.

I'll have to install mine and see what kind of room I have, I have a feeling I'll need a slim fan like you.

Cheers, looking good.

Timmey

hacker_720

Why don't you just put a push fan on there? Looks like the turbo might melt you fan, and sometimes the aftermarket fans don't move much air.

I put my stock fan infront of the rad and switched the wires around, so now it pushes the air through the rad, and there is more room in the engine bay.

88st165

Just fitted mine today so well see what happens. It looks like we have the same exact rad fan Chris hehe. Just from idling the rad gives off so much heat its not even funny. To me that a sign that its working but ill drive around and see if the temps actually drop, rise, or stay the same.

I also kept my a/c. I never use it until a few days ago when it was super hot. There will be a time where you are not worried about going fast and you just want to be comfortable. Those days you will regret not having it. Mine is not ice cold anymore but i got some r12 to put in b/c i think its a bit low.

timmey

Wow,

Thats a great deal for that fan, especially with all the mounting hardware. Did you guys wire that up to the OEM fan wires, or do a 12v relay? If I were to run 2 x 10" of those fans, would I need them on a 12v relay? I think that might be too much for the stock fan circuit.

What are people's thought on running fans 100% (with no thermostat)?

Could you a connect a relay to the OEM fan wires, effectively using it to trigger the fans starting, and hook 2 fans to it? Would that have the same effect as a fan relay with thermostat?

Thanks!

Timmey

ChrisD

That's why I still have my a/c hardware. It doesn't work, but long term I will get it back running. I love a/c.

I got the 12" fan. It's wired to the stock circuit - no extra relays. It's cheap for sure, mounting hardware is basically some fancy zip ties. haha. It is kind of slick though, just slide them through the rad's fins into a fitting on the other side.

For me it's not possible to get another fan in there as my downpipe does not provide enough room. You can see the space in the pics.

100% is fine I think, biggest thing is extra wear on the fan motor. But then again, if you can utilize the stock system, why not. It might simply require a slightly higher amp fuse to run on stock wiring.

If you were still concerned about overloading, you could certainly install a relay off of the existing circuit. But I think thats overkill really. The wires are sufficient to run 2 fans.

:)

ChrisD

88st165":1136hnd9 said:
Just fitted mine today so well see what happens. It looks like we have the same exact rad fan Chris hehe. Just from idling the rad gives off so much heat its not even funny. To me that a sign that its working but ill drive around and see if the temps actually drop, rise, or stay the same.

Cool - remind me what you have for monitoring the temps again? I have the power fc like mr. betty, so hopefully i'll be able to check along the same scale.

I think my temp sensor is kaput unfortunately, will be checking into that over the next month or so...

Dracov

The stock circuit can support two OEM fans - which are amperage whores by themselves - just fine. It'll barely break a sweat with two modern electric fans, just make sure you've got a fuse high enough to handle the total draw.

**BETSY**

Just to recap, my temps never went down when moving, using the ASI rad, so i have now sold it and gone back to a stock rad.

Im really interested to hear of your views Chris and 88st165 once you have it fitted and can monitor the temps.

I used my Apexi Power FC.

timmey

**BETSY**":8iue2a91 said:
Just to recap, my temps never went down when moving, using the ASI rad, so i have now sold it and gone back to a stock rad.

Im really interested to hear of your views Chris and 88st165 once you have it fitted and can monitor the temps.

I used my Apexi Power FC.

Really sorry to hear that.

I'm installing my st185 ASI non-logo'd 56mm rad in a week or two and will for sure report the performance of mine! I'll be using two 10" fans from siliconeintakes.com as well.

Timmey

timmey is your motor stock? and im guessing theres no way in hell itll fit with the oem fan but did you check if it will fit 4sure with the 2 10's? I have an asi 56mm too going in my 185 and maybe ill buy the same fans as you if it fits nice.

88st165

Well I just took my car out after I swapped my clutch which i also installed the ASI rad. I am monitoring my temps from prosport gauges with the coolant temp tapped into the coolant neck and the oil temp located by the oil filter via sandwich plate. Here are some observations Ive had so far.

-The coolant gets up to temp alot faster than with the stock rad
-Seems to be emitting a alot more heat compared to stock which tells me its doing its job.

-As far as coolant temps go they did infact go up! (Went up 8* to 188 but never higher.)
-On the contrary while my coolant temps rose 8* it seems that my oil temps dropped around the same amount.

This is all from just normal driving conditions on a 83* day with a couple wot, +15psi boost runs.

Ill report back after I go autox which is the real test for me. Right now I find it acceptable becuase it gives me the piece of mind that it will not pop an end tank like the stock one would.

ChrisD

I will also be doing some back to back runs with water wetter. Possibly some localized boiling, being that much closer to the turbo and downpipe?

edit - timmy already mentioned this. hmm

aubeone

Has anyone else used the 56mm 185 Rad in a 165 swap yet? Thats what I am working on, and yesterday's test fit showed a couple areas the need "adjustment"...looking for insight :)

**BETSY**

88st165- Im glad you have found the same results as me.
what you really need to do is get the car on the motorway/Freeway and keep a constant speed.
Here in the UK if i crusied at 85mph + the temps would sky rocket, 95'c!!!!
never above 85-89 with stock rad and stock thermostat.

ChrisD

Ok did some digging of old datalogit logs from the power fc, looks like I was operating in the range of 77* - 85* C usually, with a couple peaks to 90* C. I am running the stock thermostat, which is relatively new.

That sounds about on par with Steve's readings, so should provide a decent baseline.