ASI Radiators: Pics P.16; Info P.17 & 18

ChrisD

OK want to capture this better.

Can you guys fill in the following info?

Stock Avg
Stock Range
Stock Peak

ASI Avg
ASI Range
ASI Peak

Difference

And avg, range, peak for any changes (eg. thermostat) that you make

A lot of good info in here!

88st165

More observations for today just driving around town. Outside temp is around 97*F today. My water temps went up 20*F to around 200*F. My oil temps were still around 8*F below the usual 220*F. Have yet to take it on the highway but I might try that tonight and see what my temps are like Steve suggested.

ChrisD

88st165":snxuk7tu said:
More observations for today just driving around town. Outside temp is around 97*F today. My water temps went up 20*F to around 200*F. My oil temps were still around 8*F below the usual 220*F. Have yet to take it on the highway but I might try that tonight and see what my temps are like Steve suggested.

For comparison...

200 F = 93 C

88st165

Ah yes thanks Chris. We should prob keep the units the same for easier comparison of our findings.

No I didnt have my a/c on. Today I found out that the compressor no longer engages. I thought I forgot to plug a connector in after I put the engine back in but they are all connected. I assume its just low on freon b/c last time I used it was barely cold.

slappyNuts

hey guys, I need to buy a new rad for my 88 st165, i was looking at the ASI ones and they look nice, but could you guys who did the group buy confirm that they are in good working order?

I do a lot of work in China so i worry about the quality of work sometimes.

I am lookin at one of the ASI ones on Ebay for like $250, but $80 for shipping - so i want to make sure its worth the money - otherwise i'll just get a stock one, unless anyone has a better idea? :shrug: any opinions and feedback is appreciated

RedCelicaTRD

I personally think mine works fine. I haven't done as much testing as the others but I seem to be doing ok so far.

As for the 200*f on a 100*f day, that's fine with me. Especially for low speed driving. My st185 would do 210*f around town on a stock radiator.

88st165

Went on the highway today, outside temp was around 85-90*F. I did some normal speed limit crusing and the coolant temps were at 188*F, 8* above what the normal stock rad temps usually are. Oil temps were normal.

I then did a couple boosted runs, +16psi 3rd to 4th gear pulls and temps didnt change much at all, maybe +/- a few degrees.

I did see again a 200*F coolant temp when I was driving in a little traffic but the oil temps were normal.

Side note, the stock coolant temp gauge does not register the changes in coolant temps after it reaches a certain temp, i.e. the needle doesnt move when its 170*F or 200*F.

Im not worried onr bit running this rad. Like I said before its much better than bursting a stock plastic endtank. Ill report back if I observe anything odd that happens.

ChrisD

Anyone have an issue installing the sensor in the bottom of the rad? My sensor is clearly too large to thread in there.

My old rad was not a stock one however - I really have no idea what was used there but it was as thin as the stocker but had metal end tanks. I wonder if this sensor was not the original also...

I think it is technically the temp switch for the rad fan.

Rick89GTS

Chris, see if you can get yourself a 165 stock temp sensor or one that is M16 x 1.5. Not sure if the GTS one will work, but will be worth a try. That's the stock size the rad is fitted to accept.

timmey

I 'think' I have a st185 water temp sensor around that you can have if you pay shipping.

I'll look around when I'm home and let you know. Anyone know if it's the same size? I don't see why they'd change it..

Cheers,

Timmey

ChrisD

As it turns out my sensor had an adaptor fitted to it. Unscrewed the adaptor, and voila I have the OEM sensor! Thanks anyways timmey! :)

Who knows what was up with my rad that I had...

timmey

Glad to hear,

No worries, couldn't find it anyhow!

btw: I am going to try to make the Vernon meet. Car is in rough shape right now though.

Timmey

ChrisD

Sweet! Don't worry about the car too much. We'll have all sorts there. It's more about getting a chance to meet the people. :D

ChrisD

Got the car running this weekend. Everything going good, no issues to report.

I will run 3-4 tests to see how things go.

1. As is right now, with old green coolant / water mix.
2. Full flush with Toyota Red.
3. Toyota Red with a bottle of Redline Water Wetter.
4 (maybe). Downpipe wrapped as it sits closer to the rad now.

Test #1 will happen this weekend.

86turboswap

Can anyone that upgraded to the ASI help me out. I need a ST165 Radiator to get my car on the road. I bought it with no radiator, I have everything else but no radiator.

slappyNuts

86turboswap- read the last few pages, they are full of the information you are looking for.

i guess we're still waiting for more test results

86turboswap

Let me clarify my statement.....

I need a stock OEM ST165 RAD hoping that anybody that upgraded might want to sell me there stocker. I am trying to save some money. My alltrac has no radiator at all. Right now I have a couple more projects on my plate, before I can get to modding the trac.