Project Stormbringer

UtahSleeper

Nice work on her. Glad I didn't get this deep into the car when I had it. I would have probably flipped and the car would have sat for awhile.

wakkjobb

Nice work, got to love old crank bolts and no power tools. I forgot you were going to do all this otherwise I would have offered use of my shop (since my 165 is 'mobile') and air tools. See why you need to be on here 95 times a day like me?

I fixed the wipers on the CRX instead of doing 165 work today... there's always tomorrow!

Let me know when you're going to do some other large project and would like to come on down.

I'll even let you play DJ... :D
>>Dan

Dracov

No more projects for this damnable thing! For the moment I am swearing off car stuff. :p

When I feel better I'll resume little projects. Though I still have a Supra begging for an engine rebuild...that one gets to wait until I'm good and ready. (read: At least another year from now)

Dracov

Last night was entirely unfun.

Because hailstones the size of tangerines decided to batter the living fuck out of my workplace and all the cars parked at it last night...mine got caught in the foray.

I somehow got off comparatively lucky. My tail lights were completely smashed out, as well as my door mirrors. By some small miracle the liftback glass was intact. Hood suffered hail dents, but I've been planning to replace it anyway since the skeleton's completely separated from the skin. Nevertheless, I was less than pleased.

The fact that at least one person completely lost their windshield doesn't matter. It was a crapass minivan so it doesn't matter.

So instead of sleeping in between 12 hour shifts, I ended up running all over the city gathering parts at obscene prices just to make sure I could still go to work and back. $140 later - not counting tools and rubber sealing crap - everything's back together and functioning normally. I'm a little pissed at one yard as I specified heated AND electric mirrors, but apparently only got electric as the plug was 3-conductor instead of five. Whatever, I can get better ones at my future leisure at least.

Work's going to be fun tonight. Manager might complain about my sleeping through the shift. I'll stab him with a hailstone if he does, I care that little.

Dracov

heh Workplace took a picture of it for their insurance adjuster it would seem

DDCCarDamage001.jpg

wakkjobb

ouch ouch ouch... sucks to hear about that man, we got hammered down this-a-way around 12:30 at night so I couldn't see what was happening. Got some hail, just the 1/2" or smaller style though. Heard there was a tornado east of Denver somewhere? Or was that you running all over trying to get parts?

Sorry... nature's a bitch sometimes.
>>Dan

Dracov

Two weeks into my brand new unemployment I was able to pickup the Whiteline adjustable swaybar from wakkjobb. Bushings are missing, but then my car doesnt even have a damn swaybar in the back so I'll need brackets, bolts and endlinks too. We also did a hood trade since mine looked like a really half-assed attempt at emulating a golf ball.

UtahSleeper

Dracov":1mczmlaj said:
Two weeks into my brand new unemployment I was able to pickup the Whiteline adjustable swaybar from wakkjobb. Bushings are missing, but then my car doesnt even have a damn swaybar in the back so I'll need brackets, bolts and endlinks too. We also did a hood trade since mine looked like a really half-assed attempt at emulating a golf ball.

Sorry to hear about the unemployment. Hope it doesn't last long.

wakkjobb

Could have tried for the rear hatch as well... that black 165 is now sold so you got there just in time!

How about that warm bolt from the trans? :lol:
>>Dan

UtahSleeper

My thoughts exactly lol. I like seeing the progress done on this car. Kind of stalkerish I know, but it reminds me that things can be fixed and to not let yourself get overwhelmed.

Dracov

It's been a long time, I know.

Life for me sort of went to poop for a while. Life for the Alltrac did as well for a bit. I'll make a real update soon-ish, when things are better.

Dracov

Okay... I know it's been a year. Without going into detail suffice it to say things fell apart for a while and I haven't been able to continue improving my little 165 any. Most recently out of nowhere she started losing coolant and oil rapidly. My first thought was possibly the headgasket, so I gathered together a small pile of parts and got started. I found also coolant was pouring down the front of the engine from the water pump area, which annoyed me since that pump was only 1 year old.

I replaced the pump and had a Hell of a time getting the old gasket off as it turned to rock in that time. I found one of the bolt holes on the pump housing completely stripped so I ended up heli-coiling it. Flushed out the coolant and oil (oil was very green...which I don't understand since I used royal purple oil and Toyota red coolant), replaced the headgasket - which was in amazing condition for 22 years old, switched out to ARP headstuds and buttoned everything back together. And gutted the A/C since it had too much of a leak for me to even try repairing for use.

I haven't had a chance to test if I fixed everything because now there's a new problem:

I'm not getting any spark. The physical timing is correct; lined up the crank and cams before tightening the timing belt down and putting the covers on. I'm definitely getting fuel, it's easy enough to smell after a short cranking session. But nothing's getting to the plugs. Nothing's getting to the distributor either.

I checked out the coil per BGB and it passed the tests. Also tested the igniter per BGB and it seems fine. As far as I can tell the coil isn't receiving power from its plug. No fuses are burnt out and all the relays appear to work. If I directly apply power to the coil the relays in the engine bay will all click like they normally do.

She's throwing code 35 at me which I can't understand. Never had that code prior to the partial teardown, the turbo pressure sensor is plugged in and it passes voltage tests. Even cleaned the plugs out just to be sure it wasn't dirt getting in the way. I don't think this would completely disable spark, would it?

I replaced the engine to strut tower ground strap as it was about as flexible as an eggshell but still no love from the GTE. I need help guys, I'm stumped :(

* - also weird note; when she cranks I can see the boost gauge flutter up to 1PSI rather than drawing vacuum like I'm used to seeing.

UtahSleeper

Only thing that comes to mind is recheck all the plugs you undid when doing the head. Maybe one of them got screwed up.

Do you think the piggy back could be interfering? Just a thought. I know it messes with the fuel, but not sure what else.

Dracov

Well, I did another once-over with the multimeter.

Distributor resistance is the mid 170s all across the board
Igniter is receiving 11.5v
There is continuity between the igniter and coil
Primary resistance of the coil read 1.0 ohms, so it's higher than the 0.4 - 0.5 per the BGB
Secondary resistance is in the middle of the allowable range
The part that worries me though:
IGT and IGF voltages should be around 1.0v per the BGB
IGF voltage is 5.0
IGT voltage is 0.06
After unplugging the F-CON the voltages remained the same
I tested them directly off the ECU and got the same numbers...I'm worried that the ECU somehow died :/

UtahSleeper

It is possible. Maybe something still had juice in it when you were working on it and it sent a jolt. I would imagine someone in CO may have a spare for you to test with.