Emanage Blue vs. Ultimate...

gt4tified

Guys, anyone here has tuned their 3sgte with the ultimate yet? Is there any significant improvement over the Blue for a stock to moderately modded 3sgte? Just looking at some options. Thanks.

bozo-merlin

The big advantage is : you can leave your MAF to run speed density

There is some other stuff on Ultimate vs blue but the one important is said.

MrDB

the price of the ultimate and al the work involved etc.. you might as well go with standalone..

Blue is good for prob 350 flwhp keeping the AFM...

gt4tified

MrDB":2n1znz0p said:
the price of the ultimate and al the work involved etc.. you might as well go with standalone..

Blue is good for prob 350 flwhp keeping the AFM...

I asked nothing about price.

For the tuners in here, how much more torque over stock will an e-manage ultimate give me, tuned for a genII engine with stock injectors, stock cams but a CT20b? Would I be able to get about 250awhp on moderate (1 bar) boost?

MrDB

With just those mods probably not a lot.

AFM is not a restrictor at that level so removing it will not provide the gains people expect.

Ultimate will however give you better control than the blue and less likely to get det etc.... in the long run...

Still probably need to run 1.2+ bar to get that sort of power out of the 20b...

klue

ralph with your power level, mods etc, its better and safer t keep the stock metering device. The afm should be kept until you upgrade injectors. At that point Its time to upgrade to a standalone EMS unit anyway.

I would not recommend any piggy back unit on a car that uses are type of afm metering. Tricking the ecu into thinking the AFM signal is different from what it actually is will result in the ECU putting itself into a different area of the timing map.

This is potentially deadly to your engine! the only way to do it properly is standalone and dyno tuning. When I get some money im coming back down to start building my drag car and tune a few cars. Try and get a full standalone by then :p

bless up! Luke

Mafix

i agree with klue on this. for you mods leave the ecu alone. you can run 16psi and be good.
if you were to go with an ems, get a stand alone and be done with it. how many powerhouse 3sgte's run the stock ecu? none.

MrDB

Hmmm.

Emanage ultimate is v.similar to HKS F-con and i know of many big big power cars running those including a 600hp + Alltrac local to me... That is now going for more and has switched to motec. Car was imported with FCON on and only changing it because of to far to travel to get it mapped..

Why does everyone say all piggbacks cant be run on a 3sgte because of messing with ignition. Emanage blue and ultimate have ignition control adv and retard so whats wrong with them? Most if not all reports of the emanage on the 3sgte that have problems due to wiring and settings wrong, and most do not activate / use the ignition control either... Another case of internet making some problems applicable to all and becoming law....

Ultimate fools the stock ECU but nothing on car will actually run through it its practcally a standalone and the Ultimate runs the car... as does the HKS FCON which is raved about in jap land and much sought after but few places outside of JAP can map them.. They like them as they dont mess with all the std ECU addons like diff control / ac auto boxes etc...

I will post up my results in a few weeks, hopefully hitting 350hp fly on v.little mods and emanage so we will see...

gt4tified

I don't want a powerhouse ecu, just because the car is my daily driver and I drive about 60km to work and back 5 days a week.

I know I can run 16 psi on the turbo no problem but on the stock ecu, even the ct26 gives me shitty mileage and I suspect the CT20b will have me overfuelling.

I need to get my afr's more consistent throughout the powerband and that's why I was consdering the emanage.

A standalone is a very expensive option for me at this stage which is why I asked about the emanage.

Mafix

agreed most people don't know what they are doing on the ecu side.
i have tuned a couple blue systems and i have to say i am not a fan at all. hopefully the ultimate is a better system.
ralph being a daily driver should not affect the ecu. if it's tuned right and everything then it should not affect the car at all (aside from the obvious), food for thought.

gt4tified

Mr.DB, you seem to have some knowledge of the system....I can hardly wait to see your results.

I know of a rally Starlet turbo that has the original 4efte bone stock internally, with a T3/T4 and tuned by a EMge Ultimate and it runs pretty damn well.

Mafix, I'm not sure if I'm on the same page as you bro. When you say "being a daily driver should not affect the ecu" which ecu are you referring to. I was talking about the stock JDM genII ecu (mine) with a ct20b at 15-16psi. Daily driven for me means occasional traffic and I don't want to be just sitting and idling or even under light load be running very rich.

So my second question about what you said is "if what is tuned right"? The stock ecu? Cuz I'm all ears to find out how that is done. All I have to tune is my AVC-R....I'll have nothing to do with AFC devices.

Thanks.

Mafix

if said ecu (non stock) is tuned right then it will run just like stock (minus the pig rich in boost). i'm just saying that ANY aftermarket ecu can be tuned to work for whatever application you like.

935motorsports

I've been playing with the ultimate, and have done the MAF delete. That function works quite well.

As far as power, the blue does most of what the ultimate does. A blue would be much cheaper.

Either one will allow direct injector control. So you can extend the fuel map further than the stock ECU will allow (similar to FCON).

The ultimate software is much better. It allows live updates (to a point), and puts you in better control of what is going on.

With the blue software, you feel more like a guest in their world.

gt4tified

I'm liking this response from Rob. Seems that the ultimate or even blue is what I may need should I decide to upgrade to a larger turbo but stay on the stock injectors and cams.

CeliNate

I have an Ultimate and I love it, I've never used the BLue so I can't tell you the difference, but for my needs the Ultimate is awesome ^_^ although I wish it had some kind of anti-lag or launch control capability.

TRDcelica90

im very bad at understanding ECUs, but im looking for something that will

1. safely lean out the mixture to provide better economy nd power.
2. delete the AFM
3. allow me to put in my 540s.

is this the best option for me?

thanks

bozo-merlin

To lean a mixture :

with Blue you have to MOD the AFM signal so timing going bad
with Ultimate you could MOD injection directly
overall you could use 540 on both but not with the same tuning method.

With a pressure sensor you could emulate the AFM signal on Ultimate, not sure you could on Blue.
You have to add a manifold temp sensor to make adjustment on inj and ign, could be done on Ultimate, not sure on Blue

I had an EMU, i am now on a standalone (easier for fine tune), EMU is a good piggy as the last MAPECU (they share the rpm vs boost vs AFM output signal to start with), i tried a Blue one on my 205 but i don't like the way you adjust AFR (affect timing) as a SAFC with bigger table so remove it and look after a 2nd EMU or perhaps a standalone (expensive for a DD)

gearhead313

I've had some seat time with an Ultimate, but not a blue. I street tuned a turbo rsx-S with it and I was surprised how well everything worked together.

Here's the reality. If you have a daily driver, you should look at piggybacks instead of standalones. A factory computer has endless hours of tuning for all load/baro/tipin/idle/voltage/etc variants. It would take a GOOD tuner a long time to properly tune a standalone car for street driving applications. People never think of "well how many accessories did i have on during that pull?" or "what was my elevation".. or "a cold front was moving in and it started to sprinkle"... all those things are already accounted for in your stock ecu. Adjusting the Ultimate to level out a/f's is emulating a signal over top of all that base code. Granted, some standalones do help the tuner account for certain variables, but in the end, there is nothing wrong with a properly tuned and thought out piggy back.