Most power through E150F transmission?

vip09

Like the title says, who is putting down high power through the ST185 E150F transmission? It seems like most of the high powered Alltracs are running the E154F from the ST205.

vip09

Yeah, that's pretty much the response I expected. :shrug:

Guess it's a safe bet to go with the E154F then.

tw2

Well if you can afford it then get a 205 tranny. If you can also afford it then try the original and see what happens... I have heard of 500whp going through them without too many problems but reliability.... :shrug:

vip09

tw2":1c9j4d1j said:
Well if you can afford it then get a 205 tranny. If you can also afford it then try the original and see what happens... I have heard of 500whp going through them without too many problems but reliability.... :shrug:

Well, I've already been through two E150F's and I just had a E152F go out for no reason at all.. I've only done single gear pulls on it.

tw2

vip09":1v1dw5wf said:
Well, I've already been through two E150F's and I just had a E152F go out for no reason at all.. I've only done single gear pulls on it.
Looks like you have your answer. Sounds like fun.... before breaking that is.

bozo-merlin

E151F (CS/RC) is better than E150F

except gear ratio and FD it's near to the same to an E154F, difference is WD selectable mode and oil capacity (perhaps this one is too keep heat more stable).

You broke the E152F ??? any way for you and me to find a trade on gear ratio?

MWP

The E151F does have better gear ratios, but still isnt any stronger than the E150F.

The E154F has the better ratios and is a decent amount stronger... its the gearbox to have.

CMS-GT4

Why is any of the gearboxes stronger than the other? They share many part numbers throughout their internals. Anyone can say that anything is stronger, but the real question is what proves that it is stronger?

bozo-merlin

Depends what you broke in the gearbox

synchro are better on E151, like E154
gear ratio (drive & driven gear) are here and there the same on E150 & E154, on E153 & E154, ...
housing is bolt on, nothing thicker or stronger, just bigger.

E154F transfert is bigger but internal are the same, it's not thicker, it's just for oil capacity.

Power never kill a gearbox, torque does !

CMS-GT4

Do you have dimension difference of the larger exterior parts of the 205 box? It might help those trying to identify a the box when they are looking to purchase.

vip09

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the E152F is broken.. it didn't take much. I'm going to get the gearset out and put it up for sale. It goes into every gear but 5th (which is the same ratio as all the other transmissions).

So Trevor did 700awhp on the USDM Transmission? Has it failed yet?

CMS-GT4

I would still like to know why your transmissions are breaking. Its not like race 185s have not put down good power out of the 150 gearbox, as well as members in the past making decent power as well.

I wonder if there could be other factors affecting your box as well.

vip09

Well the first E150F failed from synchro wear. The gears would grind at high RPMs when racing. Eventually something broke.

The second E150F also had synchro wear. Would grind on fast shifts at high RPMs.. didn't last nearly as long as the first transmission. I think I must have sheared the teeth from 3rd gear. (I was also putting down probably over 100whp more on this one).

The third transmission was an E152F. It failed from just doing 4th gear pulls.. I'm still stumped about this one because it was shifting PERFECT before it failed.

CMS-GT4

So if syncros are really your only main issue, I might suggest just using 205 or RC syncros in your old 150 box but get them cryo treated shot peened or something to help make them stronger. It may be easier than trying to source a 205 box at least if you can do the work. See part numbers in the pn thread I linked for your earlier.

RedCelicaTRD

vip09":3hmhghim said:
So Trevor did 700awhp on the USDM Transmission? Has it failed yet?

Trevor has had more t/case and rear diff problems then actual trans problems. However, most of those are launch technique related.

vip09

I have sourced some 205 transmissions and will probably just go with one. It won't be soon though.

lumbercis

If you are going to keep drag racing (and I encourage you to do so!) a cheaper alternative in the long run might be to crack open and repair the E150. First, find out what the weak point is, then call someone like Shepherd Transmissions and see if he can make some stronger versions of the parts that keep failing (maybe just synchros).

On the other hand, it may be the case that brand new OEM synchros installed in your old box will do the trick. The problem may not be the strength of the parts themselves, but the years of wear from daily driving.

Or you can break down and get a 205 box. :smokes: