Most power through E150F transmission?

KORacing

With worn synchros, the loading on your other internal components will increase. It is cheaper to rebuild and replace synchros on a poorly shifting trans than to replace all the gears and forks on a broken trans.

Synchros don't wear because of power directly. Typically from what I've seen in power related failures, it's the t-case breaking on cars with power, and usually from what I've seen [bold]when using launch control[/bold].

timmey

Hey guys,

My E150F blew up on the dyno recently, at about 320 hp/280 ftlb in fwd mode. Still getting the details on what happened from my tuner ; the gears had very little griding and about 100,000kms on them, so could be synchros.

Anyhow, it looks I'm going to need a new E150F, E151F or E154F :(. If I go with an ST205 E154F, does it bolt on, or do I need the axle stubs and anything else from my current E150F? Basically, how much more work/parts is it to install the E154F?

Thanks!

Timmey

KORacing

It should bolt right in with your same axles. I've done a 205 drivetrain swap into a 185 and kept the same axles, and then it broke the transfer case. I rebuilt the trans and took the selectable t-case off of the former 185 trans and mounted it to the E154 and put it all back together.

timmey

Thanks Kris! Great info.

By chance, when you say "selectable t-case" do you mean the "switch" for FWD mode that was NOT on the ST205? I'm very interested in the ST205 trans but need FWD mode for dynoing (although that may be how I ended up here), so I hope that is what you meant. Is it easy-enough to do? ;)

If not, has anyone tried that (E154 trans with the FWD mode portions of the E150)?

Thanks again!

Timmey

KORacing

Yes that is what I meant. It's an E150F selectable transfer case with the selectable FWD mode I mounted on to the E154F rest of it. It is tricky to get the splines all lined up for the FWD shaft and the center diff input, but I have found a bit of cursing always helps.

timmey

Haha great, I was hoping to do the same. Thanks!

Do you figure the FWD selector weakens the trans at all? Tradeoffs...tradeoffs :)

Timmey

KORacing

I doubt it weakens the trans while engaged in 4wd mode, but there are less parts to have problems with if it isn't there. That said, the E154F non-selectable center diff some how locked up on this particular car and actually cracked the case in two which is why I had to replace it. It went to the metal recycler afterwards so not sure what got in there to cause it but I assume something locked up in side possibly due to something getting in the gears.

The FWD mode does have smaller shafts running in/out of it than if a car were to have a E series 2WD transmission so that is likely weaker than a modified E153 from an MR2. I've dyno tuned a few Celicas making just under 400whp ok in FWD mode, but probably less than 10 total, and there always seems to be the nagging doubt as to whether or not it will hold up when I'm doing it.

timmey

Thanks again for the info Kris.

Somehow my 90,000km E150F died out at 330hp/290 ft/lb torque in FWD, I think I was unlucky though. My tuner thinks it died at the transfer case/FWD selector (funny enough) cause the trans won't move at all now. Hopefully that isn't where mine died and I can do the E154F swap w/FWD selector that you mentioned.

Timmey