Previa All Trac status?

Camry All Trac, Previa All Trac

Postby seabrook71 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:29 pm

As soon as I sell my second Celica AllTrac, I'm going to buy a Previa AllTrac. I want to take out the seats, install a roof rack, air bag it to get some clearence and drive it to the most remote places in Oregon. I want utility, not luxury. Those gas mileage numbers aren't that bad considering any other vehicle with similar capabilities like a Suburban or 4WD full size van is going to get half of that. As long as you don't have to tow then, with the exception of it's appearence, I think the Previa is the most practical. Aside from the Toyota Truck, I don't think anything else can even come close on the reliability.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
seabrook71
Club Member

Postby masco » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:54 pm

Though the Previa was available with 5sp, 4wd, Supercharger. I don't believe you could get a Previa spec'd with that particular combination of options. All S/C Previa are Automatic.

IMHO the ones to get are 5sp manual rear wheel drive. The supercharger added much needed power, but at the expense of fuel consumption. I see a lot of the supercharged examples on the road still, so they must be somewhat reliable, just make sure to check the S/C oil levels.

A good project would be to get a Supercharged motor and convert it into a Turbo set up. Those blocks have forged internals and oil squirters!!!

All the car needs is 200hp 200lb.ft it isn't too heavy for a van.
1990 Turbo4wd - 1990 Corolla GT-S - 2002 RX300
masco
Club Member

Postby altracam » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:33 pm

If I had to do a Previa, I would find a 91/92 5sp alltrac Previa with blown head gasket and buy a wrecked 97 LE/SC dual sunroof, middle row captains chair. Why a 97? It has the best interior out all the year models.

Take the motor/ecu and all interior + the dual sunroof and put it into the 91/92 5sp All-Trac Previa. Play around with the supercharger or covert it into turbo.

Total cost of the both Prevs will be less that $2k but labor would cost alot if you let someone else do the work.
altracam

Postby seabrook71 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:35 pm

From 1995 on all Previas had superchargers
seabrook71
Club Member

Postby Domspun » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:08 pm

altracam wrote:If I had to do a Previa, I would find a 91/92 5sp alltrac Previa with blown head gasket and buy a wrecked 97 LE/SC dual sunroof, middle row captains chair. Why a 97? It has the best interior out all the year models.

Take the motor/ecu and all interior + the dual sunroof and put it into the 91/92 5sp All-Trac Previa. Play around with the supercharger or covert it into turbo.

Total cost of the both Prevs will be less that $2k but labor would cost alot if you let someone else do the work.

Don't give me ideas!!! :D I would do it if it could tow 5000lbs...?
Domspun
Club Member

Previous

Return to Other All Tracs