ST205 Water-to-Air Intercooler functional from factory?

kkelly3201

After some poking around online I am under the impression that the water to air function is not operational without manually setting it up, I've read that the hardware is all present, that it is just not functional. Am I missing something? I hope I'm wrong.

Corey

Huh?

Could you be more specific? Or are you talking about the factory antilag which came on the 205WRC, but was not operational?

gt4rcdude

From what I can recall, both the anti-lag and the heat exchanger sprayers are not functional on the ST205WRC's from the factory.

kkelly3201

Well I don't believe I own a WRC, but I thought that was the higher-end model, why would it's parts not be functional?

Sal

Do you mean Water Injection?
It comes with the reservoir and sprayer but other then that, you will need to go out of your way to get it to work.

lumbercis

Water to Air intercooler: Yes
Anti-lag: No
Water Injection: No?

The non-functional parts exist for homologation purposes (so they could be used on the Rally car)

zero06

they put it in soo they could use the systems in the races. wrc rules required the manufacturer to make X amount of cars sold with the same systems. if toyota didnt comply they wouldent be able to use the systems in their rally car.

soo why arent they enabled? well anti lag and water injection dont make for a good dependable consumer car.

CMS-GT4

So can the 185 cold start injector be used on a regular 205 engine to adapt for water injection?

___Scott___

A cold start injector will work for water injection. That thing mounted in the top of the intercooler is cold start injector from (I think) an '89 Camry. I won't claim it's an optimal arrangement, but it worked. It is nice to get a solenoid valve and sprayer nozzle in one unit.
DSCN4453.JPG

I used a peak-and-hold style injector driver circuit to drive the CSI, but it's probably not necessary. The solenoid in the CSI would just run hotter when you are injecting water.

CMS-GT4

That sounds great. As long as that hole exists on my st205 engine, then I will just pop a cold start injector in there and make my own WI instead of having to drill holes.