WRC CT20b

gt4tified

Guys and Gals,

I just purchased a wrc ct20b from an mr2oc board member....I should get the turbo in a couple of weeks and I can't wait!

My genII 3sgte engine is from a 93-95 mr2 and is otherwise internally stock. I just wanted to know, with supporting mods (listed below), would that turbo support 300awhp on a pump gas & water injection tune on conservative (17-18psi) boost?

My intentions as far as mods go are as follows:

Gen3 cams, valve springs
ARP headstuds
MHG
Bored OEM fuel rail, configured for dual entry
Gen3 injectors
Aftermarket adustable fpr
New main bearings and rod bearings, new piston rings
Haltech E6K or similar standalone EMS
Water Injection
Good clutch for 400ft.lb torque

Simba

It'll probably do it, but I doubt you'll be anywhere near "conservative" with the tune to do it. At 17-18 psi, you'll need to run quite a bit of timing to get there.

klue

sure buddy, WRC ct20b will blow your balls off, capable of 500ftlbs of torque.
trust me.

im coming down your ways hopefully soon, so get that car ready. BTW forget the haltech get the hydra or aem or motec if your rich

Simba

The turbo in question is likely a normal CT20b from a ST205 WRC, not an actual rally car. Those used a CT26R, which is a very different animal.

300 whp on a 20b is doable, but not particularly easy.

gt4tified

Simba":whoj9ls6 said:
The turbo in question is likely a normal CT20b from a ST205 WRC, not an actual rally car. Those used a CT26R, which is a very different animal.

300 whp on a 20b is doable, but not particularly easy.

No Simba, it is a WRC ST205 turbo, not the regular CT20b. I know cuz the guy sent pics of it attached to the anti-lag manifold, and it looked pretty oem. From the info I have gleaned, there were only 2500 of these turbos made.

This is why I was asking the question...cuz from what I heard, you're on the ball when you say its a different animal.

Klue, pm ur # so I'll call you so I know when exactly you're gonna be here...we missed each other the last couple times.

vip09, close to 300hp is fine with me, I'm more concerned about getting as much torque from the engine at that given power.

klue

the man just finished saying its a 205 wrc. there is nothing normal about that turbo.

you can run a ceramic up to around 20 psi before the backpressure in the exhaust puts to much load on the wheel and blows the shit out of it.

STEEL wheel lacks this issue.

500ftlbs ftw, no guess work here

Simba

The "ST205 WRC" had a plain 'ol CT20b on the un-drilled homologation manifold. It's nothing like the rally turbos. Those used cast inconel turbines, and other things of general lunacy, to survive anti-lag use.

A 20b is not going to provide 500 pounds of torque no matter what you do with it. It'll make around 250, and 300-odd wheel horsepower, if you squeeze it. Anything above 18-20 pounds on that (or really any production CT) turbo will run it well out of its efficiency map, and you'll do little more than blow hot air. A CT20b turbine will flow enough to make ~300 whp, however, that is the upper limit of the housing, and you're not getting more out of it without serious work.

The CT26R can make all kinds of power, however, chances are very good you don't have one if it came off of a production car.

RedCelicaTRD

Not all of them. Some ct-26s just say Toyota, all CT20b's only say Toyota.

As for a WRC edition ST205 turbo making huge torque numbers, not likely. The only difference was a steel turbine compared to the regular CT20b. However if it is a TTE WRC turbo that was used on an actual rally car then it could make some nice torque numbers. However, I highly doubt it is a TTE turbo. They are sold few and far between and for usually more then a hole GT series turbo kit would cost.

smog7

st205 wrc ct20b has a steel wheel turbine
not to be mistakened for actual wrc rally cars. their was a limited run of special edition st205 "wrc" cars sold with these turbos, and as previously stated they had the anti lag system also, just not installed.

same turbo that this guy is selling:
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43199

all other "regular" ct20b's have ceramic wheels...

not the same turbo used on the actuall rally cars..

I want one

vip09

klue.. you guys are on crack lol.

The turbo off the ST205 WRC is the same thing from any other gen3 3S-GTE except that it has the steel wheel instead of ceramic. It's nothing to get excited about. A simple TD06 would put it to shame.

gt4tified

WarTowels":cca5eiaz said:
Post the pics

Okay guys...I didn't know that this would generate so much debate but here goes:

So the question is now, what turbo is this that I have just landed?

1. Regular ceramic CT20b - (highly unlikely)
2. ST205 wrc CT20b - maybe but did these come with anti-lag?
3. TTE WRC CT20b - not sure either.

So to get back in the discussion:
Simba":cca5eiaz said:
The "ST205 WRC" had a plain 'ol CT20b on the un-drilled homologation manifold. It's nothing like the rally turbos. Those used cast inconel turbines, and other things of general lunacy, to survive anti-lag use.

The CT26R can make all kinds of power, however, chances are very good you don't have one if it came off of a production car.

The turbo in the pic definitely has the anti-lag system installed, so where does that stand now Simba? The seller said that these were some st205 wrc parts that he had picked up but never said that it came off a production car....I don't think he even saw the car it came off.

RedCelicaTRD":cca5eiaz said:
Not all of them. Some ct-26s just say Toyota, all CT20b's only say Toyota.

As for a WRC edition ST205 turbo making huge torque numbers, not likely. The only difference was a steel turbine compared to the regular CT20b. However if it is a TTE WRC turbo that was used on an actual rally car then it could make some nice torque numbers. However, I highly doubt it is a TTE turbo. They are sold few and far between and for usually more then a hole GT series turbo kit would cost.

Why would you doubt that what I have is a wrc turbo RedCelicaTRD?...do you think that it is THAT unbelievable that I managed to get my hands on one? Its a used turbo, and maybe the previous seller scored big when he bought it and doesn't even know what he has (had).

vip09":cca5eiaz said:
klue.. you guys are on crack lol.

The turbo off the ST205 WRC is the same thing from any other gen3 3S-GTE except that it has the steel wheel instead of ceramic. It's nothing to get excited about. A simple TD06 would put it to shame.

I don't agree, nor do I think klue is on crack...he is an experienced tuner who has passed through more turbos than most of us in this thread.

The question is, why would Toyota put just a steel wheel alone on the limited edition run of the ST205 and keep the ceramic shaft, which is what I am inferring from your post above? It seems ludicrous that they would do that just for sake of saying that this model has a steel turbine. I want to more believe that because of the attached anti-lag system as seen in the pics that this turbo has the ICONEL wheel and shaft.

But all my theorizing is of course open for debate! :wink:

Insanity-74

If that was a TTE Inconel turbo it would have cost alot more than your car to buy...they go for MEGGA money, they are very very rare and sought after...you`d be looking at thousands of dollars for one.

The road going WRC cars bear very little ressembelance to the TTE Rally cars, almost nothing is the same, even the shell is different. The road going WRC cars use a ct26c2 turbo (what people incorrectly call a CT20b) just like every other st205 but with as mentioned steel guts as opposed to ceramic.

Klue is spot on in what he says.

Theres nothing to say that people cant swap turbos, not everyone is clued up when it comes to GT4s and they may simply have bought a replacement ST205 turbo not knowing that there is a difference between the WRC and Regular st205 turbos.

You wont get massive power from it...350BHP will be about your limit although every car is different you may get a bit more or a bit less.

The anti lag system on a WRC is there purely to fullfill the homologation rules, it does not function and was never intended to function on the road cars, hence no inconel turbo, exhaust manifold etc etc. Its a standard run of the mill WRC Turbo...nothing special I`m afraid.

TTE Inconel Turbo....I`m sure you`ll spot the differences

TTEInconelTurbo.jpg