Restrictions on imports into Manitoba

Stubble

Guys, I just found this new bit of legislation in the Climate Change and Emissions Reduction Act. The Act is now in force, but there aren't any regulations developed for it yet, so I don't know if the restrictions are in force at the moment.

The Drivers and Vehicles Act is amended by adding the following after section 108:

IMPORTING OLDER MOTOR VEHICLES

Importing older motor vehicles prohibited

108.1(1) Subject to the regulations, no person shall bring a motor vehicle into Manitoba for the purpose of resale if its model year is older than 1995, or another model year that is prescribed by regulation.

Regulations re older motor vehicles

108.1(2) For the purpose of subsection (1), the Lieutenant Governor in Council may make regulations

(a) prescribing a model year that is more recent than 1995 but which is at least 10 years older than the current model year;

(b) defining "model year", and prescribing the date in a year on which a model year begins;

(c) establishing the following classes of motor vehicles, and authorizing vehicles within such a class to be brought into Manitoba for resale, despite the vehicle's model year being older than 1995, or the model year prescribed under clause (a):

(i) antique motor vehicles,

(ii) classic motor vehicles,

(iii) vehicles with low emissions;

(d) authorizing a person to bring a motor vehicle into Manitoba for resale to a person who holds a collector number plate, despite the vehicle's model year being older than 1995, or the model year prescribed under clause (a).

On first read, it seems like you won't be able to re-sell pre-1995 JDM imports in Manitoba if you import them from another province, and local importers won't be able to sell them either. The exception would be if it is considered a "classic motor vehicle".

Anyway, this obviosuly requires more research, but any potential buyers should probably look into it.

schweizerceli

Good looking out stubble.

I would probe your provincial environment and transport ministers to provide facts for amending the act in this regard.

In order to change laws in this country, ministers "must" have solid backup that the law change is based on facts and not just opinions.

I say "must" because the general Canadian is too apathetic to question things and the governements get away with opinion based law changes every year.

I suspect these changes are targeting 15 year old imports and have been brought forward due to lobbying from MPI and CADA. It seems to coincidental that the threshold year is 1995 ... 1995 is next year's legal model year for importing outside of the RIV program.

We all need to keep an eye on what our provinces are up to. I guess this is the problem living with a representative government.

GTFOURST205guy

Stubble":1l1ec9tl said:
Guys, I just found this new bit of legislation in the Climate Change and Emissions Reduction Act. The Act is now in force, but there aren't any regulations developed for it yet, so I don't know if the restrictions are in force at the moment.

The Drivers and Vehicles Act is amended by adding the following after section 108:

IMPORTING OLDER MOTOR VEHICLES

Importing older motor vehicles prohibited

108.1(1) Subject to the regulations, no person shall bring a motor vehicle into Manitoba for the purpose of resale if its model year is older than 1995, or another model year that is prescribed by regulation.

Regulations re older motor vehicles

108.1(2) For the purpose of subsection (1), the Lieutenant Governor in Council may make regulations

(a) prescribing a model year that is more recent than 1995 but which is at least 10 years older than the current model year;

(b) defining "model year", and prescribing the date in a year on which a model year begins;

(c) establishing the following classes of motor vehicles, and authorizing vehicles within such a class to be brought into Manitoba for resale, despite the vehicle's model year being older than 1995, or the model year prescribed under clause (a):

(i) antique motor vehicles,

(ii) classic motor vehicles,

(iii) vehicles with low emissions;

(d) authorizing a person to bring a motor vehicle into Manitoba for resale to a person who holds a collector number plate, despite the vehicle's model year being older than 1995, or the model year prescribed under clause (a).

On first read, it seems like you won't be able to re-sell pre-1995 JDM imports in Manitoba if you import them from another province, and local importers won't be able to sell them either. The exception would be if it is considered a "classic motor vehicle".

Anyway, this obviosuly requires more research, but any potential buyers should probably look into it.

where did you find this? and how would it affect me importing my 94 st205? I am importing it by myself so it wouldn't technically be resold.

Stubble

Sorry, I haven't been on the site in a while. I can't remember exactly where I found it. I checked the current government Acts at http://web2.gov.mb.ca/laws/statutes/2008/c01708e.php and it is listed as "recently proclaimed", which means it is now law. Again, I don't see any regulations pertaining to it, and no changes have been made to the Drivers and Vehicles Act. I'm not sure how it will be enforced.