Project: Black Trac- She's gone!

Landon

hey guys, so basically started to get jealous i don't have a project thread so i'm gonna get one started. we'll see how it goes. i'll update to now and keep it that way.

Bought my car off a old man that owned a motel here in eastern oregon. the last place anyone would expect to find this rare car. I had no idea what an alltrac was at the time, just thought it a good looking car. got her for $3500 last summer and have gradually begun to realize since what an amazing car i stumbled upon. I'm very glad i did, even though they can give you hell sometimes.

The day after i bought it, she started smoking. Turned out to be the pipe the branches to the turbo, and comes from the top radiator hose. I soon realized how hard parts are to find and how difficult these are to work on.

First drive after this was fixed, water pump went. i wasn't confident yet so paid 700+ to get this replaced, timing belt, etc.

Stock engine bay after new water pump. Middle of winter as you can tell.

Trac010.jpg

Ran great for the first quarter of school. Till she started running really rough. soon found out spark plugs wires were the issue

RockClimbing113.jpg

Then HFH blew and she sat in the garage for pretty much all winter quarter. I began the repairs myself once i started missing the car to much. This is when i began to understand our cars a little more and have much more respect for them now. Heres some pics of what i did. Straight intake, batt relocate, new hoses around, yup. ended up going through hell to find out i broke connections on the AFM. Took about a month to figure that out- after two or three shops thought about it too- i found the problem thanks to one of your help.
pics now-enough words. Let me know yours thoughts.

landoncar006-1.jpg

landoncar007-1.jpg

landoncar008-1.jpg

landoncar009-1.jpg

landoncar019-1.jpg

landoncar030.jpg

landoncar026.jpg

landoncar027.jpg

landoncar028.jpg

landoncar029.jpg

s014.jpg

s016.jpg

s017.jpg

s018-1.jpg

landoncar031.jpg

landoncar032.jpg

landoncar057.jpg

landoncar045.jpg

landoncar054.jpg

landoncar035.jpg

landoncar034.jpg

landoncar038.jpg

Painted under the hood black cause it was gross:
landoncar025.jpg

And investigation of why it doesn't want to start:
RockClimbing022.jpg

Now she is running great.
MBC and Boost gauge installed and i love it. pictures soon and new rear suspension bushings on there way. very excited because i'm tired of the rear end floating all over the road.

Auto Meter Boost gauge and three gauge pod
0722091742.jpg

Boosting 7-9psi stock
0726092317.jpg

at night!
0727091814.jpg

MBC from a helpful fella on here. boost at 11-14 psi now

Now for bushings update. uh sorry for kinda crap picutres, dark + camera phone doesnt work perfect.
0830091751.jpg

wheels off, looking ugly

0830091754.jpg

take the caliper off
0830091754a.jpg

ebrake behind this, i replaced the pads because they were shot and it wasn't holding well.
next remove axle bolt, all other bolts holding on the arms
0830091751b.jpg

0830091752.jpg

then remove the shock
0910091835.jpg

and its off!
0828091025.jpg

then remove the arms from the frame
0830091751a.jpg

this is where i ran into some pain in the ass things. thankfully only broke one bolt. (thanks to the most amazing penetrating oil: Sea Foam-Deep Kreep, use it for everything) easily found another one. note: camrys and corollas have the same bolts of similar years. helpful to me. this one guy tried to charge me 10 bucks for the bolt. i was like hell no, so i got it for free from another wrecking yard. Main problem i ran into is getting the camber adjustment arm off. it has an inner sleeve inside the old bushing that is pressed in. so i had to bend out the sides of the mount on the subframe. then same process to get it back in. this caused some difficulties with alignment latter and could possibly be remedied by something else. there are a total of twelve bushings for the rear suspension set. six on each side- one on each arm, three on each wheel hub.

a press is a must to get the old bushings out.
ATTN: be super careful when pressing the bushings out of the hub, i ended up braking one of the metal mounts in the hub and had to weld, so just make sure to support the pressure.
broken mount
0909091815.jpg

welded(not the best weld i've seen)
0909091833.jpg

cleaned up
0909091834.jpg

and welded both sides, hopefully will hold good. ps: you guys think this was okay to do?
now in with the new
0821090815.jpg

i cleaned up and painted all the arms, ect
0910091834b.jpg

0910091834c.jpg

0910091834a.jpg

notice the inner sleeve. i had to cut these out of the old bushings because they were frozen inside. this worked well, but the whole thing just increased the difficulty of this whole project quite a bit
0910091830.jpg

0910091833.jpg

and then i painted my calipers and rotors to keep away the cancer
0910091834.jpg

0914092140.jpg

hub and brakes all back assembled.
And royal purple lube going in the rear axle soon
0831091807.jpg

two bottles at 75-90
also replaced the rear lift gate shocks. one was shot and so they hold pretty good now, but still not perfect when its cold since they were used. happy for now.
0904092117.jpg

Hint: really really useful tools-impact gun, deepkreep, air saw, press, plenty of tools lol, welder if you break anything, and a few other things.
That pretty much sums it up.
It is a night and day difference now, the rear end is so much more solid and amazing. a had to have it aligned twice because everything settled and all the bolts needed to be retightened. make sure you retighten everything about a week later. now it just handles really well and i'm very pleased. sorry not perfect but hope it makes sense and helps. comment away on what was good, bad, and interesting

mike325ci

what brand/type of bushings did you use? they look like 1-piece to me, were they?

also, you know about the two bushings in the rear hub (the ones that have holes facing the front/back of the car), right? (just checking-- general thought here is that they should be replaced with a toyota supra part - the one that has the metal in there).

also, thanks for the tip about Seafoam Deep Kreep. i'll have to see if the local parts place has it. i like PB Blaster, but doesn't hurt to have more tools in the arsenal... :)

Landon

mike325ci":3ura2ocx said:
what brand/type of bushings did you use? they look like 1-piece to me, were they?

also, you know about the two bushings in the rear hub (the ones that have holes facing the front/back of the car), right? (just checking-- general thought here is that they should be replaced with a toyota supra part - the one that has the metal in there).

also, thanks for the tip about Seafoam Deep Kreep. i'll have to see if the local parts place has it. i like PB Blaster, but doesn't hurt to have more tools in the arsenal... :)

i used bushings from red rocket performance on celicatech. all the bushings were one piece. on the celica forum people were talking about how they though some of them should be spherical bushings, but i don't see how this would be and why it would be bad to replace with a solid one. everything has been holding well and is a thousand times better then before. the supra bushing part-i replaced with just poly. i noticed that on those specific bushings in the hub your talking about that there was an outer sleeve of metal...the new bushings fit tight and seem to be holding fine, so i'm not sure how this would be problematic? i'll keep you all posted, but for now i don't see how it will change.

Landon

oh yeah, on the pb buster. your welcome for the tip. its really seriously true. like even i was a fan of pb buster, but no joke deep kreep is like 100% better and fast. no i don't work for them and trying to get you to buy a bunch. lol. i just was so shocked with how well it worked. i soaked a bolt in wd40 over night, didn't change a thing. one application of dk broke it loose first try. i noticed on your thread you used pb three time. i just would bet dk would get it first time. lol. its simply amazing.

RedCelicaTRD

Using a poly bushing can cause the suspension to bind as it travels through it's geometry. Using a spherical bearing reduces the amount of deflection in the suspension while it travels. This prevents binding (and unwanted toe/camber changes) since the suspension can't move itself into a geometry that would result in binding.

Landon

okay, that makes sense. i'll definitely keep an eye on it. seems alight so far. so we'll see. thanks for clearing that up though man.

Landon

so i got bored the other afternoon and decided to tear out the rear interior. heres some pics of how it came along, and the rust i found. not to mention how terribly dirty it is.. : ( maybe everyone should check for rust here unless its a well known area already. i just sanded down as much i could and put some rust controll paint on. hope does the job. oh and the combo of this and putting my old MAF back on took me from a quarter mile of 15.95 to 15.17. how many pounds do you think i took out? i actually like the sound, and can tell why Rene would think his exhaust extremely loud... the stock exhaust is so much louder with the seats out and stuff. anyways, i'll get the final cleaned pictures up when i get back to my car..

0309001606.jpg

0309001605b.jpg

0309001605a.jpg

0309001604.jpg

0309001605.jpg

0309001605c.jpg

0310001545a.jpg

0310001545b.jpg

0310001545c.jpg
0310001904a.jpg

0310001904.jpg

0310001648a.jpg

0310001905b.jpg

and sorry for the mass of pictures... i think i like pictures a little too much. lol

Landon

so i got really tired of sitting on ducktape so i did a little "at home" upholstry. i know its not perfect, but anything really is better then what i had. view away.
0325001459.jpg

0325001503.jpg

0325001704.jpg

0325001924.jpg

0325001924a.jpg

0326001909.jpg

0326001909a.jpg

0326001910.jpg

latest boredom set up as well link... top mount spray thing.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=37580

mike325ci

Are those seat covers that you bought from that seller on eBay? If you tighten it up a bit, it would look very nice...~

Certainly beats a pad of duct tape, :rofl: :twisted:

alltracst185

mike325ci":1vq7gpk8 said:
Are those seat covers that you bought from that seller on eBay? If you tighten it up a bit, it would look very nice...~

Certainly beats a pad of duct tape, :rofl: :twisted:
He made them :shock: deff a good start, all you have to do is tighten them up a bit. A lot better than i could do i will admit that! Good work man...keep it up :D

Corey

Doesn't the Ebay ad for those seats show a Heat gun at some point during the install? Would a heat gun tighten it up?

Landon

haha. thanks guys.
mike- i just bought some material from a fabric store and used the old leather peices as a pattern. its not real leather, but i'm not planning for them to last forever. just a fix for the current pad of ducktap as you say. lol. a lot cheaper then ebays retail of what 800?
as for the heat gun... i'd like them to be a little tighter myself, but i think it might just be my fault in not cutting/sewing it perfectly. :doh: i might try some heat and see what it does. they are already pretty tight around the edges and such so i dunno. but its so much better to sit on now! :D

toayoztan

Landon":37vs1cfg said:
haha. thanks guys.
mike- i just bought some material from a fabric store and used the old leather peices as a pattern. its not real leather, but i'm not planning for them to last forever. just a fix for the current pad of ducktap as you say. lol. a lot cheaper then ebays retail of what 800?
as for the heat gun... i'd like them to be a little tighter myself, but i think it might just be my fault in not cutting/sewing it perfectly. :doh: i might try some heat and see what it does. they are already pretty tight around the edges and such so i dunno. but its so much better to sit on now! :D

They go for around 4-500 on Ebay for Buy it Now prices.

But that is looking good...i have rust in the quarter/rocker area too, and will be replacing a section of the passenger rocker panel.

Bryan

Terracar

Wow, I haven't been keeping up with this 'trac. Looks great. I personally love the seats. Looks fantastic, especially for a first go at it.

:notworthy:

-Terracar

Landon

been awhile... due for an update. i finally sold my jeep, so i have new parts and more on the way. 3in XSpower downpipe (installed), XXR 502 18x9.5in wheels, 255/35/18 Yokohama S-drive tires(waitin for wheels to go on), and Ksport coilovers.
0505101253.jpg

0506100016.jpg

hopefully get some installed pics soon.
and my tires.
old vs new
0504001617.jpg

a set in to get the idea
0504001615-1.jpg