Bad Fuel Mileage ST185 O2 sensor?

GrpAGT4

Hey,
Ive been getting bad fuel mileage since i bought my car. I get roughly 450kms to a full tank (280 miles) It has a 68 litre tank. The car seems to run well. I run it about 17 psi @ WOT. Has anyone exprienced bad milage as a direct result of a bad O2 sensor? I ask because everything else seems ok. Ive checked the timing and ect and all seems ok. I dont actually have a air/fuel meter or anything though.

Corey

There have been a few recent 02 sensor threads on this subject.

Yes its possible. But seeing as you are running 17psi.. 450km/tank sounds acceptable. :shrug:

If its never been replaced before, you can get a new one for $40 without connector. Probably couldn't hurt to replace it if its as old as the car.

Cheers

Corey

GrpAGT4

yeah Rick. both the st185 and st205 have the same tank which is 68 litre. So you think with that boost 450kms is acceptable? I thought it seemed a bit high.

tintman22

450 kms a tank at that boost level seems a little low, I usualy get 500km to 61 liters on my ST205. Are you running premium gas? Try running a fuel system cleaner, its cheap and will help. Also when is the last time you did a tune up?

GrpAGT4

I have a st205 tank fitted, you sure its 61 litres? Cos mines 68 litre. Also yeah i run 98 octane fuel. Does that fuel system cleaner stuff actually work?

Gary ST165

GrpAGT4":19d8i5sv said:
Hey,
Ive been getting bad fuel mileage since i bought my car. I get roughly 450kms to a full tank (280 miles) It has a 68 litre tank. The car seems to run well. I run it about 17 psi @ WOT.

sounds about right

Has anyone exprienced bad milage....

yep!

best i manage of late in my RC on a long motorway run, constant (off boost) 65 mph, covered 280 miles on 45 litres BP ultimate 98

28.2 MPG
10 Km per litre
Averaging £0.173 GBP per mile

i usually get 22.2 MPG by giving it death. :| :cry: :cry:

Tiki_man

I've checked my 165 several times. When I first got it I was only getting arround 21.4 mpg in mixed driving. Now after full tune-up and a K&N drop in filter I'm getting arround 24.9 mpg. Tune-ups do make a difference lol. I'm hoping to redo my complete exhaust soon and see a few more mpgs.

Rick89GTS

GrpAGT4":3henhvcf said:
yeah Rick. both the st185 and st205 have the same tank which is 68 litre.....
I just checked the owner's manual. For the record, the 165 has a 15.9 gallon/60 litre tank, not 68 litre.

GrpAGT4

Yeah man, i said 185 and 205 :p I only know cos i had a hole in my 185 tank and could only source a 205 tank and toyota have them down as the same part number.

Tiki_man

Rick89GTS":3l8rghn4 said:
GrpAGT4":3l8rghn4 said:
yeah Rick. both the st185 and st205 have the same tank which is 68 litre.....
I just checked the owner's manual. For the record, the 165 has a 15.9 gallon/60 litre tank, not 68 litre.

Hhhmmm really? I thought it was much smaller than that. When I fill up I can normally only get arround 12-12.5 gallons. Maybe I'm just not getting it as low as I could lol.

gt4tified

Pardon my french, but what does a max. boost level have to do with gas consumption. I could set my boost to 25 or even 30 psi and get consistent mileage.

It all comes down to driving style......you like to change gears like an F1 driver....you burn more gas, you like to keep high rpm's in mid gears rather than cruise in higher gears......you burn more gas, you like to go to the grocery even under WOT at 17 psi...you burn more gas.

Gas consumption has nothing to do with your max. boost level, by itself anyway. :wink:

TRDcelica90

the best i get 470kms and that is pretty good as far as im concerned.. most gt-fours on Ozcelica are getting 420-450kms to a full tank on 98..

You surely didnt buy the car as a daily to save money so 450km is pretty good!

tintman22

GrpAGT4":azugvrlb said:
I have a st205 tank fitted, you sure its 61 litres? Cos mines 68 litre. Also yeah i run 98 octane fuel. Does that fuel system cleaner stuff actually work?

Sorry I am not saying thats it is 61liter tank, thats just how much gas I have used when i usally fill up. If you run 98 Octane then your fuel system sould be preety clean. Disonect the rubber from the intercooler to the throttle body and look for carbon build up( crank the throttle open). If its dirty spray it out with throtle cleaner.