steering racks

consume

Hi ..i am not sure if this topic has been covered already ..but my question is
do any of you all know..if there are any other steering racks that work for the st185....from other toyota cars ???

Blue91CelicaGT

good question.. I was also wondering that myself.
To add to this question is it neccessary to switch to a non-power steering rack when removing your power steering system, or can you simply plug the lines.

Blue91CelicaGT

good question.. I was also wondering that myself.
To add to this question is it neccessary to switch to a non-power steering rack when reomoving your power steering, or can you sinply plug the lines.

d1alltrac

If you just plug the lines you will have an artificial stiffness from the power rack.

We've wanted someone to find a manual rack that fits/works, but no one wants to do the legwork.

klue

I have made a manual rack, costs 475 bucks. Built by the guy who makes steering racks for CASCAR.

sleeper

It`s not that hard to remove the seals in the st165 rack.. did this on my own in about 2hours.. 0usd solution..

BTW: do anyone know how far of the s205 rack is from fitting in a 185\165?

phattyduck

sleeper":2z3sax3z said:
It`s not that hard to remove the seals in the st165 rack.. did this on my own in about 2hours.. 0usd solution..

BTW: do anyone know how far of the s205 rack is from fitting in a 185\165?
The 205 rack mounts vertically from the top on a large subframe instead of the the firewall. It probably won't fit.

-Charlie

CMS-GT4

I am curious if one might just be able to change out the gear in the 185 rack from the one from another toyota, rather than try and figure out an entire rack.

d1alltrac

sleeper":1o472ch2 said:

I was going to do that with my spare rack. Any special tools needed? Any tips or tricks? I guess I just need to track down that miata write-up.

CMS-GT4":1o472ch2 said:
I am curious if one might just be able to change out the gear in the 185 rack from the one from another toyota, rather than try and figure out an entire rack.

Do you mean to make it manual or to change the ratio? You don't need to mess with any gears to make it manual, just the seals like sleeper mentioned. Changing the ratio I have no idea about, but I'd assume changing gears would do that.

sleeper

d1alltrac":2f88g4di said:
sleeper":2f88g4di said:

I was going to do that with my spare rack. Any special tools needed? Any tips or tricks? I guess I just need to track down that miata write-up.

CMS-GT4":2f88g4di said:

Do you mean to make it manual or to change the ratio? You don't need to mess with any gears to make it manual, just the seals like sleeper mentioned. Changing the ratio I have no idea about, but I'd assume changing gears would do that.

no, no spesial tool needed, pretty straight forward.. just rremember how you took it apart so you can putt it back togetter..

texturboII

Zombie thread!

I'm trying to find a suitable manual rack to swap in myself. Anyone have any luck from an older Toyota?