[How to] Pull the engine

Write ups and tutorials for maintenance and modifications.

Postby Hotrodhendrix » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:54 pm

You can bolt a leveler directly to the engine. I dont remember which ones I used but it worked just fine.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
"The more you let life's obstacles slow you down the longer it will take to defeat them."
~Yours truly
Hotrodhendrix
GTFour God

Postby Sifu » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:03 pm

Just don't use chains and wrap it around it... Really... its heavier than you think...
1990 Celica ST185 "The Money Pit"
BROKEN! BUT NOT BEATEN!
2005 Scion tC FW21
1985 AW11
1987 AW11
Sifu
GTFour God

Postby Hotrodhendrix » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:24 pm

Agreed my leveler has brackets that you can actually bolt directly to the engine. Do NOT rig anything when your trying to remove an engine.
"The more you let life's obstacles slow you down the longer it will take to defeat them."
~Yours truly
Hotrodhendrix
GTFour God

Postby compy591 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:44 pm

As far as doing this just in a garage at home, how are you lifting the front end of your car high enough to lower the engine out completely? Any proven/preferable methods for this?
compy591
Club Member

Postby LegacyofDan » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:53 pm

compy591 wrote:As far as doing this just in a garage at home, how are you lifting the front end of your car high enough to lower the engine out completely? Any proven/preferable methods for this?

that is what i did...let the engine sit on to a lil short push cart thing and then lifted the body up and pulled the motor...it was one of those bunny in the hat sort of occurances
LegacyofDan
GTFour God

Postby Corey » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:08 pm

As far as doing this just in a garage at home, how are you lifting the front end of your car high enough to lower the engine out completely? Any proven/preferable methods for this?

See Page 1
Corey
GTFour God

1989 Toyota Celica

Postby mx6er2587 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:23 pm

so it looks like posts have been delted in this thread. Was it ever stated how to lift the car high enough to get the engine out? From two of the pictures it looks like chains wrapped around the bumber support? Will that work with the rc support?
mx6er2587
Established Member

Postby Sifu » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:30 pm

I should have put these here a while back...

Transaxle "Missle Silo Method"

This is the hardest part. Making sure that this clears. As you can see there was a lot of fighting w/ all that scraping and getting stuck. You should try to twist and be very careful not to have any fingers getting pinched.

Basically let gravity do the work. Put a piece of carpet on the ground and lay the engine flat on the cam cover side. Take off your powersteering idle valve/bypass valve as those are made of plastic and break easily (replacement is like $80 for the bypass valve, you know, Toyota prices). Carefully lift up the tranny and manuever it over the tranny shaft.

Drop it and twist. Sometimes it's easy to get some rope and put it in the screw holes so you can angle that but I've always been able to drop it onto it w/ no problems. When you can get a screw through the bolting points then do so leaving some slack. Manuever that beast carefully and slowly. It will drop into place.

*** There are other ways of doing this that are easier and less damaging to the brittle pieces but you would need to get both parts sitting on something sturdy and mate them together. You get the idea...
BROKEN! BUT NOT BEATEN!
2005 Scion tC FW21
1985 AW11
1987 AW11
Sifu
GTFour God

Postby Corey » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:30 pm

*** There are other ways of doing this that are easier and less damaging to the brittle pieces but you would need to get both parts sitting on something sturdy and mate them together. You get the idea...

I suggest a wooden pallet to place the tranny onto. Then hoist the motor to mate up with the tranny.

When I did mine this way, It took 3 people to muscle it on and line it all up.

I considered the silo method, but it was a bit intimidating for me :oops:
Corey
GTFour God

1989 Toyota Celica

Postby Terracar » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:15 pm

Personally I recommend the BMB method - Big Muthatrucking Bolt.

I will get some pics, but was able to one man it and get it done in about 10mins without worrying about it all crashing down.
'92 'trac - Demon - currently in need of some reconstructive surgery.
Terracar
Established Member

Postby mx6er2587 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:35 am

I tried the big bolt method, in fact I believe I was able to get at least 4 bolts in, and still was unable to get the tranny to mate. My friend and I were baffled. We spent a good 4 hours twisting and shaking and trying different bolt locations.

Missile silo took about 15 mins. I don't think we put a single scrape in the tranny like sifu is showing.

We placed the engine down (cam cover off and of course the power steering idle up removed, that guy should be gone before you even try to drop the engine) on an old tire. We left it chained to the hoist in case of catastrophic failure (you know like falling on our feet while holding a f***ing heavy transmission above it)

The two of us lifted the tranny and manhandled it into place and shook for a bit. Couldn't get it so we pulled it back off, realigned and tried again. A bit more shaking and it slid perfectly.
mx6er2587
Established Member

Postby Sifu » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:39 am

Good work! I did it all by myself though... :P All my pulls usually are... :lol: :twisted: :shoots: :evil:
BROKEN! BUT NOT BEATEN!
2005 Scion tC FW21
1985 AW11
1987 AW11
Sifu
GTFour God

Postby Terracar » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:20 pm

For the BMB method (bolt method) I used the bolts that held the engine to the engine stand - they were a nice length.

There are 2 key points with the bolt method:

1. You have to have the transmission in gear.
2. You have to have the driveline (or axle- driveline is easiest) in place

You line the engine and trans up as best you can. I had engine on some sturdy blocks with some shims to have it at same angle as the trans. The transmission was on the engine hoist.

Lower the trans and mate it as best as you can to the engine. (remember the way BGB says to remove it - it helps) Cinch up the bolts by hand checking to make sure the output shaft is aligned with clutch. Tighten bolts by hand; once you start getting resistance turn the driveline.

This is wear the trans needs to be in gear - to turn the output shaft to align the splines. Will take a few moments, but you can feel when the splines line up. Keep tightening the bolts up , by hand, using washers/spacers as needed until you can use the real bolts.

Keep in mind by hand can also mean a short stubby ratchet - just be sure ot to over tighten.

Tips:
1. patience
2. You have to have the transmission in gear.
3. You have to have the driveline (or axle- driveline is easiest) in place
4. re-do the spaces/washers on teh bolts frequently as they can only go into the block so far.
5. patience
6. Keep checking alignment of output shaft.
7. patience
'92 'trac - Demon - currently in need of some reconstructive surgery.
Terracar
Established Member

Re: [How to] Pull the engine

Postby TRDTurko » Thu May 19, 2011 10:47 pm

I am surprised I havn't seen this question yet: How come you cant pull the motor out from the top? my toyota repair manual says you can.
88 Celica GTS - RIP
87 Corolla - RIP(sold for parts)
93 Honda Civic - RIP
88 Celica AWD Turbo - Current Project "Racetrac"
85 Honda Civic - Sold
91 Honda Civic - Sold to ice racer
08 Mazda 3 - Daily
88 Celica Alltrac - RIP(sold then writen off)
TRDTurko
Club Member

Re: [How to] Pull the engine

Postby alltracst185 » Thu May 19, 2011 10:54 pm

TRDTurko wrote:I am surprised I havn't seen this question yet: How come you cant pull the motor out from the top? my toyota repair manual says you can.

You can, it's just harder and more of a risk
st185- HKS exhaust, Aussie mid pipe and custom 3" down pipe, Tial 50mm BOV, HKS 272 cams, HKS adj cam gears, custom FMIC, HKS GT3040, Tial 38mm wastegate, AEM ems, fully built bottom end, RC 1200cc injectors, at 25 lbs and almost complete :D
alltracst185
Established Member

PreviousNext

Return to How To