Annual spring Tail of the Dragon Meet-May 7-9

Nitro_Alltrac

This is from Celicatech. If you've never been to one of the Dragon meets, you're missing out. First, its an AWESOME road. Besides the Dragon, there are other outstanding roads to run in the immediate region. Second, this meeting is a LOT of fun with a lot of great people. Everyone is welcome. Here's the posting that Murgatroy put up.

After discussion we have settled on the dates of May 7th through 9th for the Annual Celicatech Dragon Run.

For the uninitiated, The Dragon is a stretch of road that lies between Tennessee and North Carolina, it is known by many names, but it is officially known as US Highway 129. It is a marvelous stretch of road known to automotive enthusiasts the entire world over.

This is the 4th year for this version of our meet, but it is the evolution of the Pigeon Forge meet, which was held for many years prior.

We have anticipated a very high turn-out this year, as we have people come in from all over the country. This is an open invitation to all Toyota Owners, and will be posted across several boards. Last year we had over 50 cars all through the course of the event.

This will be my fourth year hosting it, and to be honest, it is the highlight of my year. I enjoy seeing me friends and making new ones.

Now, some of you might be asking, 'Why is it called the Dragon Run?' Well, let me explain.

We are car fanatics. And the reason we love cars, is that we love to drive them. So in a departure from typical meets, we plan this around driving. Driving through the Great Smokey Mountains and enjoying some beautiful sights and comradeship.

This year we intend to make several runs of the Dragon, and come down the Cherohala Skyway as well.

Lodging is being planned just off of Cedar Bluff in Knoxville. There are many hotels to fit different budgets.

Holiday Inn Select Knoxville-West Hotel (I-40 & I-75)
- www.holidayinn.com - (877) 863-4780

La Quinta Inn-Knoxville West
- www.lq.com - (865) 690-9777

Sleep Inn
- www.sleepinn.com - (865) 531-5900

Holiday Inn Select Cedar Bluff
- www.cedarbluff.hiselect.com - (865) 693-1011
- This is the suggested hotel. This is where most of us stay.

Econo Lodge West
- www.econolodge.com - (865) 693-6061

Hampton Inn Knoxville-west At Cedar Bluff, Tn
- www.hamptoninn.com - (865) 693-1101

Budget Inn
- www.hotelclub.com - (865) 934-1182

Please join in the discussion and we will see who all is coming, where you are staying, and what you would like to see happen this year. Every year is different, and every year is a blast.

2-Way Radios are recommended, this is how we all like to keep in touch with one another and make sure we all know where we are going.

I hope to see you attend.

Friday May 7th:

8pm: Meet, Greet, Eat.

Location: Cracker Barrel 9214 Park West Blvd. Knoxville, TN. Located just off of I-40/75 on Exit 378 (Cedar Bluff.)

Saturday May 8th:

8am: Meet and prepare for departure.

Location: Old Food City Parkinglot. This is located on Executive Park Drive, just across from the Holiday Inn Select. Just off of I-40/75 on Exit 378. Yes, just down the street from Cracker Barrel.

9am: Departure.

This puts us reaching the base of the Dragon at or around 10am. Once there, we will stop for pictures and determine running order. In the event that more cars arrive than is safe for a caravan (20+) cars will be broken into groups. This is for our convenience as well as the safety and convenience of others on the road.

10am: Run!

We will begin running the Dragon at 10am, either was a whole or in smaller groups. Hopefully we will be able to get several run in over the next few hours.

1pm: Pictures.

We will make our way to the top of the mountain to the church for more pictures.

In these pictures I would like all cars represented and uniformly parked. This is to ensure equal exposure of all cars and attendees being visible and represented.

3pm: Cherohala Skyway.

At 2pm we will depart the church and head for the Skyway. This will be a long run, so I suggest that anyone that needs gas for the next 100 mile stretch have it. There won’t be any gas stations.

8pm(approximately): Dinner.

Location as of yet to be determined. As all the cars should be in a tight group, general consensus will determine.

Sunday May 9th:

10am: Discussion, Show and Bench Racing.

Location: Old Food City Parkinglot. This is located on Executive Park Drive, just across from the Holiday Inn Select. Just off of I-40/75 on Exit 373.

All points from here on out will be played by ear. I know some folks desire a junk yard run, some would like to head to Pigeon Forge for Go-Karts and or shopping.

2pm: Lunch/Dinner.

At some point and time after this, we will all go our merry ways.

Some folks will be in earlier, some folks will be staying later. This is only a general guideline, however, we will be trying very hard to stick to these times. If you get lost, or lose the group, please be aware of our planned route and stick with that, and try to meet us at our planned locations.

Remember your Two-Ways. We will be on channel 14.

mike325ci

Wow, early post for an event 5 months out!... You must really be excited... Or such an event requires that much planning... :)

Is it open only to Toyota cars? I have this British car with a Toyota engine that I'd like to drive through there possibly. :p But I am not 100% sure what else I have going that time of year next year...

Murgatroy

mike325ci":ve2lmous said:
Wow, early post for an event 5 months out!... You must really be excited... Or such an event requires that much planning... :)

Is it open only to Toyota cars? I have this British car with a Toyota engine that I'd like to drive through there possibly. :p But I am not 100% sure what else I have going that time of year next year...

The planning for the event usually starts the day the event ends. I have taken to putting the information up at least 5 to 6 months in advance to give everyone ample time to plan.

This event has been going on for several years.

Last year we had 50 cars. And for those that think this is your typical 'parking lot' meet. It isn't. Most of this event in spent driving.

Many members from here have gone over the years. It is everything it is cracked up to be.

As for what is welcome, well, anything that can keep up, and even if it can't, we will wait on it. The only thing required is an appreciation for comradeship and Toyotas.

Nitro_Alltrac

Hey Mike, like Murg said, anything and everything is welcome. We've had Jeeps, Nissans (primarily CMS-GT4 since the Trac is allegeric to the Dragon), Ford Tauras's and a lot of other stuff run with use. The Lotus woudl be MOST welcome. It's a blast. It is really a great bunch of folks that attend. Make it if you can!

CMS-GT4

I doubt you guys will see me in the alltrac next time. Not cause I won't be driving it, just 'cause you won't be able to stay in visual range. :p

Nitro_Alltrac

CMS-GT4":5fzonbm6 said:
I doubt you guys will see me in the alltrac next time. Not cause I won't be driving it, just 'cause you won't be able to stay in visual range. :p

I'm keeping my fingers crossed Josh!

How's the paint job coming along?

CMS-GT4

He was supposed to call tonight, but I had not heard from him yet. He had planned on working on it this weekend.

CMS-GT4

Is there any interest in an AWD dyno day for this meet? I spoke to a local shop that runs a dyno and we have enough notice to set one up with we can get 8-12 cars.

donteatbugs

i dont even know what car im bringing this year, my gt-s is running really good and my alltrac needs some loving. but it should be back going in jan or feb. if i do bring the alltrac i would like to dyno if i have the money to.

Wicked Toys

I want to make this my 4th time. Even if I have to just come down from Friday night to Sunday morning unlike more days like the last ones. But no guarantee this year.

thebish5thgen

I would love to make it out, specially since I'm currently putting in an FMIC and new turbo setup ALAS......bonehead mgee here....got into a little trouble and long story short....may not be driving anything for a long time. We'll see how good the lawyer is though, and if he's worth the HUGE STUPID AMOUNT OF MONEY that I'm putting into him.....(which should have been put into the car) then I'll be there, otherwise I'll be shooting for 2011.

I can attest that this is a wonderful opportunity, I had a great time with Josh and Dustin during a very small meet......But I recommend ANYONE go if they have never been, and if they have....well then you won't need my input!!!

Blacktrac

How many Alltrac's are going this year? I haven't been on the forums for a while :(
I am considering going again this year after realizing it fits in me schedule :D
Josh, Mike are you guy going???

Paul