vipec PLUGIN ST185 ecu replacement board!!

GrpAGT4

The plugin replacment PCB seems to be finally available from Vipec. Now it seems we can have a full plugin ecu that will fit into the standard factory ecu box. Ive been hounding these guys for awhile about this unit. Up until now it seems they only offered the v44 for st185's. Dont know if anyone has posted this already but im excited :D

http://www.vi-pec.com/page_files/pluginecu.htm

GrpAGT4

Im waiting on a reply on price. They have had the 205 for awhile but the st185 one is pretty recent i think.

Corey

I looked over their site, but couldn't find much info for our specific application install.

What usually comes with these ecu's? The hydra kit comes with everything needed to ditch the AFM.

MWP

Corey Darling":38ca1ruw said:
What usually comes with these ecu's? The hydra kit comes with everything needed to ditch the AFM.

What do you mean by "comes with"?

The Vipec is MAP based (as is almost all standalone aftermarket ECUs), so no AFM is needed.

MWP

GrpAGT4":2inlmmul said:
Im waiting on a reply on price. They have had the 205 for awhile but the st185 one is pretty recent i think.

Dont use West to install / tune it.
They are "ok", but definitely not the best guys around to tune it.

Corey

What do you mean by "comes with"?

The Vipec is MAP based (as is almost all standalone aftermarket ECUs), so no AFM is needed.

Right - but is it similar to the Hydra in that an IAT sensor needs to be installed into the intake? The Hydra comes with a GM IAT sensor and the parts needed to mount it into the Cold-start injector location.

I'm not very familiar with ECU's

I should be getting my car back this month so my next project is an ecu/standalone. I've been considering the Hydra, the Vipec V44, and now the Haltech 1000 or 2000; all because they are plug n play. now with this Vipec plug-in board for the oem ECU supposedly available, what is the advantages/disadvantages over the V44?

GrpAGT4

5th, the advantage for me is that it goes into the factory ECU box. I dont know about where you live but down here in aussie land aftermarket or stand alone ECU's are illeagal. As this unit fits perfectly into the toyota factory box it looks 100% standard. I dont wanna spend money only to have to take it out again and go back to standard. My car is my daily driver so that would SUCK! :)

The unit has a built in 2.5bar map sensor. Also as far as IAT sensors. Your stocker AFM has one built in that as far as i know can be removed and fitted into your intake somewhere. Im pretty sure ive seen a how to on another website to to it.

Hic

this is true PNP.

It uses all factory sensors, but I recommend the Vipec IAT sensor installment (which comes with the ecu in the kit).

Also, it ditches the AFM, of course!!!

For a few bucks you can buy a small harness which plugs into the board, so you have extra digital and analog inputs.

For the price you MUSt contact your dealer. I can say I sell it for 1450€. But this is here, not in USA or AU.

Hic

5thgenbliss":2sr0gfzf said:
I should be getting my car back this month so my next project is an ecu/standalone. I've been considering the Hydra, the Vipec V44, and now the Haltech 1000 or 2000; all because they are plug n play. now with this Vipec plug-in board for the oem ECU supposedly available, what is the advantages/disadvantages over the V44?

It is the same ECU, but this is made PNP. Disadvantage is that you cannot easily make it work on Impreza :D:D:D

Everything else is the same.

Hic

Corey Darling":39fg9eo3 said:
I looked over their site, but couldn't find much info for our specific application install.

Corey

Vipec comes with IAT sensor which is faster in response than GM or oem sensor in AFM.

It would be stupid to say that Vipec is better than Hydra because I really never had any experience with the one, but it is much better than Haltech for sure.

I know this from my personal experience, because I tuned the Nissan 350Z twin turbo with DBW throttle. It was Haltech Platinum, and I can only say it lacks many fine tune options, which in this case, divides boys from men :D

I don't want this to become vipec vs. halech vs..... thread or post, I just post my personal experience. But anyone of you can just easily compare both softwares side-by-side and see it for yourself. Don't mix everyday smoothness and driving with max HP numbers. Even MS can do high HP numbers, or just plain carburetor.

Corey

Thanks for the info :)

I hope Nubkins sees this thread and weighs in - as he just had one installed into his car.

Also, I noticed they offer 2 harnesses which work with external dash displays (AIM and Motec)

Don't suppose it can be made to send signals to a Sard Stack display?

GRPAGT4, that makes sense now. I did not know it was illegal in Aussieland. That's a nice option. It doesn't matter for us here in Canada, that I know of anyways so either version would work, just depends on how one wants to build their project.

The bottom line is i'm glad Vipec has both and more and more guys may be going this direction. I am pretty sure i'm going with Vipec this Summer too. It will be nice to have others on the board use the same system so we can help each other out like all the other ECU guys.

Hic

One thing I can vouch here:

once you setup the vipec and tune the car, you won't need any help at all :D

Nubkins had his drama with intake and IC but that was it guys. No more problems.

Take it from there :D

And of course I am always willing to help here, as all the other vipec dealers are.

There are no questions left unanswered really quick.

SARD should make the protocol for Vipec, that is what AIM did.

cozmic512

yes the vipec replacement board is out.
I actually have the separate pnp box.
that uses the actual vipec computer instead of the stock ecu box.

the pin outs from 90-91 are different than 92-93.
my pnp box worked in a 90 car, but I had to repin about 10-12 wires for it to work in my car. make sure the pinouts are correct when getting the pnp board.

I like the comp so far. still having some teething issues figuring everything out, but when Cam from Lightspeed helped me get the pins right, the car started right up and nice smooth idle with 550's.

the replacement board is about $1250-1400 from what I recall.
regardless what direction you go, you will have to wire in an IAT sensor and a water temp sensor. it is gm, but its gm NZ or Australia. very easy to do, just solder 2 wires each with a new clip. other than that, just wire in the wideband and your good to go.

Im anxious to see how it will perform over time.

Corey

regardless what direction you go, you will have to wire in an IAT sensor and a water temp sensor. it is gm, but its gm NZ or Australia. very easy to do, just solder 2 wires each with a new clip. other than that, just wire in the wideband and your good to go.

I thought it used the factory sensors - including the water temp sensor :shrug:

Just curious, where did you install those two sensors?

thanks