How To: Replace rear suspension bushings with poly bushes

Landon

Bushings from Red Rocket Preformance. very pleased with dealing with him. good man. Here is the write up. not perfect but hope it helps. i know i forgot things so feel free to ask and advise. uh sorry for kinda crap picutres, dark + camera phone doesnt work perfect.
0830091751.jpg

wheels off, looking ugly

0830091754.jpg

take the caliper off
0830091754a.jpg

ebrake behind this, i replaced the pads because they were shot and it wasn't holding well.
next remove axle bolt, all other bolts holding on the arms
0830091751b.jpg

0830091752.jpg

then remove the shock
0910091835.jpg

and its off!
0828091025.jpg

then remove the arms from the frame
0830091751a.jpg

this is where i ran into some pain in the ass things. thankfully only broke one bolt. (thanks to the most amazing penetrating oil: Sea Foam-Deep Kreep, use it for everything) easily found another one. note: camrys and corollas have the same bolts of similar years. helpful to me. this one guy tried to charge me 10 bucks for the bolt. i was like hell no, so i got it for free from another wrecking yard. Main problem i ran into is getting the camber adjustment arm off. it has an inner sleeve inside the old bushing that is pressed in. so i had to bend out the sides of the mount on the subframe. then same process to get it back in. this caused some difficulties with alignment latter and could possibly be remedied by something else. there are a total of twelve bushings for the rear suspension set. six on each side- one on each arm, three on each wheel hub.
(tabs where arms mount, dark pics)
0910091837a.jpg

0910091837b.jpg

0910091836.jpg

0910091837.jpg

a press is a must to get the old bushings out.
ATTN: be super careful when pressing the bushings out of the hub, i ended up braking one of the metal mounts in the hub and had to weld, so just make sure to support the pressure.
broken mount
0909091815.jpg

welded(not the best weld i've seen)
0909091833.jpg

cleaned up
0909091834.jpg

and welded both sides, hopefully will hold good. ps: you guys think this was okay to do?
now in with the new
0821090815.jpg

i cleaned up and painted all the arms, ect
0910091834b.jpg

0910091834c.jpg

0910091834a.jpg

notice the inner sleeve. i had to cut these out of the old bushings because they were frozen inside. this worked well, but the whole thing just increased the difficulty of this whole project quite a bit
0910091830.jpg

0910091833.jpg

and then i painted my calipers and rotors to keep away the cancer
0910091834.jpg

0914092140.jpg

hub and brakes all back assembled.

Hint: really really useful tools-impact gun, deepkreep, air saw, press, plenty of tools lol, welder if you break anything, and a few other things.
That pretty much sums it up.
It is a night and day difference now, the rear end is so much more solid and amazing. a had to have it aligned twice because everything settled and all the bolts needed to be retightened. make sure you retighten everything about a week later. now it just handles really well and i'm very pleased. sorry not perfect but hope it makes sense and helps. comment away on what was good, bad, and interesting

Gary ST165

RE:

0910091830.jpg

^^^^ i am be interested to read your feedback...
I having once upon atime also replaced the 2 x OEM spherical bearings /hub mounted control arm bushings with poly equivalents....

vs.

When i did this "upgrade" 5 years ago the car became damn near undriveable, unpredictable under loading and adopted a very strange 4 wheel rear steer sensation. I removed them ASAP and replaced stock with like for like.
I would whole heartedly recommend that other all-trac owners consider using OEM spherical bushings in this application.

Following lots of feedback from gt4oc members, Fensport UK has since stopped selling the above mentioned poly "hub bushings" and now offers the superior quality genuine Toyota replacement part.

I have also had the rear hub bushings replaced on my RC. This was done in situe using a threaded bar as a simple pusher <> puller for both removal and installation. No damage was caused ;)

celigts

I think I'm havin this issue cuz I had it with my gts. So would it be the same feeling.
I can move the tire side to side on ground.

lumbercis

Thanks for taking time to document your work Landon!

On a similar note to what Gary mentioned, I'm still interested in whether the issues in this thread apply to our cars:
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=414661

Question raised from that thread: which bushings in our suspension, if any, are multi-axis bushings? (and thus, possibly not a good place to use poly)?

J.

Landon

J. so far i haven't had any noticeable problems with using just poly instead of spherical. this was prolly like 20k ago. what would be a problem that could be noticed?