jeff's frankenstien 3rd gen 3sgte build (new heat exchanger)

monkey8oi

Hey guys,

I figured i'd finally start a build thread for the alltrac on here and is also in st162.net. Here's a little info on the car before is start with all the pictures.. I've owned the car for about 7years and driven it probably less than a year total before i blew the motor. Originally, i was going to just rebuild the motor back to OEM standards with forged internals (rods, pistons, etc..) just in case i want to up the power later. But during my rebuild, a friend who was helping me (also a mad 3sgte head with an array of the top toyota cars in his garage including a 94 tt supra, 95 turbo MR2, and 91 alltrac) with the build was able to get me everything i needed to go 3rd gen FOR FREE!!! So my plans went from going back to stock to a straight built bottom 3rd gen 3sgte. The plan was to mount all the 3rd gen 3sgte parts to my first gen block.. And here we go...

photo1.jpg

here's a pic of the motor already assebled on the engine stand

photo2-1.jpg

side view (also eliminated the AC and was able to get the new pulley from a board member from the UK)

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

here's a pic of the old motor (which is still sitting in my garage if anyone is in need of anything from it) and the new heart transplant

photo7.jpg

getting ready to drop in the motor

photo10.jpg

engine bay prepped, cleaned, and painted before the new engine goes in

photo11.jpg

and finally installed..

photo12.jpg

now to connect everything

photo13.jpg

photo14.jpg

photo5.jpg

here's a pic of the ASI radiator that took me n Rick about a year to get perfected. RIGHT ON RICK!!!!

photo6.jpg

there were minor issues with people getting the fan installed due to a hole not lining up but i didnt have that issue at all. tho i swapped out the stock fan for an upgrade smaller fan

photo9.jpg

a picture of my baby waiting to get a new heart put in

photo15.jpg

now new poly bushings, TIEN coilovers, slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, all wheel bearings installed.. again, it's nice to have a friend who has a shop for me to work at.

photo16.jpg

boost controller installed

enginebay.jpg

all just in time to get my ass to TOYOTAFEST 09!!!

toyotafest1.jpg

and best of all, i won second place in the class i was in.. a great bonus that i wasn't even expecting!!!

After everything was done, it fired up no problem. Along with everything that was done, i also added new rims, jdm corners with LED's, ct20b, changed all the gauge cluster lights to LED's, installed HID conversion kit, raised the hood to help with temps, installed SARD 800cc injectors, and now i'm just waiting for my tuner to fly over from the east coast to tune this beast!!! Can't wait to see what the power output is.. I'm hoping to get past 300hp on e85 gas.. Let's wait n see.. =)

monkey8oi

Next project..

while waiting for my tuner, i figured i'd get some other little projects started. First is trying to make a custom cold air box for the intake.

h9.jpg

first i made a template out of cardboard that i will use to make the final piece in aluminum.

h8.jpg

h4.jpg

h1.jpg

h2.jpg

h6.jpg

h5.jpg

h7.jpg

this is as far as i got, so next will be to used the template to cut out in a aluminum sheet and figure out how to mount it using brackets that i will need to make.. i'll update more on this later..

also.. just got my new heat exchanger in for the W2A intercooler system. i will need to fabricate some brackets to mount it and run the hoses for it.. should be fun..
h10.jpg

GT4times2

Looking great. It's safe to assume you're going to paint the rest of the car blue. It's a nice hue, what car is it from? Did you go single stage or base coat/clear coat on the engine bay paint? Also do you have some side shots of the car from the car show? (I noticed it was lowered). Did you also go for the 935 Motorsports adapters for the suspension? Do you have pics of these adapters?

Real nice project.

monkey8oi

gt4times2 - thanks.. the color's from the new corvettes. The engine bay was done with a base and clear coat. The car is lowered with TEINS and the 935motorsports adapters.. The adaptors were just aluminum rings that were the size of rings for a pinky and about 2mm thick. I dont have any pictures of them.. Here's the best picture i have of a side view..

rims.jpg

88st165 - thanks.. still got some work to do with that heat exchanger but should be good after that..

monkey8oi

Well, looks like my friend Chris couldn't wait to get the heat exchanger in and i must say he did an awesome job!! It's mounted clean and fits perfectly.. Here's some pics he provided of the install.

HE8.jpg

Had to temporarily move the power steering line to allow to fit and cut the center brace a little bit

HE7.jpg

HE9.jpg

bent the power steering line to fit in front of the heat exchanger

HE1.jpg

HE4.jpg

underside.. shouldn't have too much clearance issues.. Just gotta make sure to NOT hit any of those parking island thingys

HE3.jpg

HE2.jpg

HE5.jpg

and finally with the bumper on.. perfect fit!!

monkey8oi

no.. i didn't have any type temps sensor setup before my friend installed the new heat exchanger so i there's no way for me to log the temps before the install.. I suppose i could install some kind of temp sensor now to get a reading of what the temps are now.

alltracshoak

awesome...so is this at chris' shop or something..looks amazing..wish i have access to shop lift and all them goodies.

monkey8oi

yeah... the pics where the heat exchanger is being put in is at Tesla Motors (where chris works). The last couple of pics are at chris's place.. As you can see, his Mr2's in the garage.. His alltrac n Supra are on the side somewhere..

monkey8oi

Here's the description supplied:

Aluminum double pass heat exchanger for cooling your liquid intercooler. It features:

- Full TIG welding with no epoxy

- Two BIG rows of 1.0" tubes with a double pass configuration for maximum cooling

- AN 12 connections for using braided AN line or standard rubber line

- Great for up to 600 horsepower applications

- A brass draincock

Furnace brazed aluminum core with 2-rows of BIG 1.0" tubes. No 3-row gimmick cores that won't keep your intercooler functioning and full efficiency.

23.5 x 7.5 x 2.25

deecee

Where did you get the heat exchanger from? One of the mounting tabs is broken off my st205 one and I'm looking at replacing the whole unit.

monkey8oi

looks like after one whole year, the car's gotta go back in the garage n outta commission for a while... The turbo just took a shit on me.. Looks like this means it's time to save up some money and get a new turbo.. DAMN THIS SUCKS!!!

UtahSleeper

The work you have done/had done looks great. Sucks about the turbo though. Plans on an upgrade or replace with the same?