AFM is sensitive to mounting aliment!

AvivB

Yesterday I discovered how much the AFM is sensitive the the way you put it.
I'm still in shock from this discover...
Specially since I saw quite a lot of photos with the AFM installed standing on the side but cannot find any post related to that!

When I installed the RC engine in my ST182, I had an open air-filter so I turned the AFM 90 degrees (the connector points up) to save some space.
Since then, I had a problem that the mixture is so rich you can smell the unburned fuel coming out of the exhaust pipe and it barely can run above 4K RPM.
While trying to figure out what causing the rich mixture, I've replaced almost everything (ECU, AFM, coil, plugs, spark cables, ignitor, O2 sensor, you-name-it) and the problem stays...
Eventually, I patched the AFM to adjact

Last Sunday, I've installed the original air-box back (because I've decided that there is no point to give the engine hot air...) and and the AFM in the original position (connector points backward).
Suddenly, I had verrrrrry lean mixture, so I removed the patch from the AFM and I didn't believe, all the rich problems disappear!!!.

So today, I did a test (because my friend claims that its because of the air temperature), I put back the open-air filter but left the AFM in the original aliment and it still works perfectly good.
When I just turned the AFM 90 degrees and all the rich problems are back!.

Bottom line, AFM is VERY sensitive to mounting aliment!
All of you who installed the AFM on the side but use 3rd party ECU which calibrated to your setup probably didn't notice that, but what about all the others who use the original ECU?

And now a question, did I'm an idiot and blind to miss all the threads about this or there was no thread on that and you're in shock like me?

TRDcelica90

mine is on a 90 degree angle but my plug is pointing down, notice absolutely no probs..

i run stock ecu too.. ill might have a play with it and see.

AvivB

Mafix":y9ul7w93 said:
lol where have you been?

What do you mean?
I'm reading this board for 2 years now and I don't recall anyone mentioning that...
Also, when I had may post about running super rich, no one offer me to check that...

Mafix

i had always thought that was common knowledge?

90 fix that issue. unles your AFM is screwed up it won't read correctly that way.

AvivB

I have 2 of them, one that I patched in the past and another one sealed (one from RC and the 2nd from CS)... both act the same...!
Mounted in original position, everything is ok and when mounted in 90 degree the mixture is super rich.

pinoyGT4

hmmmmmmm....

ill try to move my AFM a bit...

i didnt notice if it was at 90deg when i put on an HKS filter.. hmm..

maybe thats why im running rich.. hmm..

esracing

this is why the weight of the door in the afm opens more when its hanging down i seen so meany pics were people have done this .

Parkins

Hmmm, this could be the answer to my running rich problem too! I'm a little confused about how its supposed to be oriented... I bought it with an aftermarket intake so i'm not sure what the original setup is like. Can anyone post a pic of how it should be?? That would be awesome

AvivB

Here are some photos belongs to members on this board:

Right aliment without the original air box:
P1010034Large.jpg

assembly2002.jpg

... and with the original air box:
DSCF1039.jpg

and lots more on this thread:
http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17324

Kcman91gts

Mine is on its side with the plug pointing in the down direction , vehicle starts , runs and idles perfectly and i get no smell of unburnt fuel . it burns cleaner than my GT .

97JZA80

Kcman91gts":1nisivz4 said:
Mine is on its side with the plug pointing in the down direction , vehicle starts , runs and idles perfectly and i get no smell of unburnt fuel . it burns cleaner than my GT .

Im in the same boat, Im on my first real tank of gas to recheck my mpg. Im going to pay attention to that and do some testing also. Probably move it back temporarily to see how it acts and then go from there. I dont feel like its 100% so maybe that will help.

TRDcelica90

it makes sense though. im gonna put mine back to flat, it was designed to work like that so shouldnt really play around with it.

Parkins

Damn, mine is positioned correctly... Guess i'll have to continue researchimg other possible issues. Thanks