Using Ebrake how much damage

Tarmac_St165

Im sorry if this is a horrible newb question but I cant seem to find any info on it nor find any one that has the answers. How much damage would I do to my drive train by using the ebrake if i under steer or just need to get the back end to come out?

Landon

shouldn't do anything to bad as far as i know. just brake pads inside the rear drum will wear out. you know how the system works right?

deecee

when i tried to pull the handbrake to slow down while on the motorway, it "popped" and shook the car lol. I never pulled the handbrake while travelling again in the GT4.
Then again, it may be isolated incident, but as the car is awd, i'm not seeing you handbrake drifting around corners unless you're in the wet, on gravel or have no tread on the tyres.
Its all about the grip factor, not the drift factor 8)

Tarmac_St165

I do know how the E brake system works not so much the awd diff's and how they would react to a sudden lock.

I do not intend to drift an alltrac but sometimes on sharp 90's or if im understeering and left foot braking wouldnt save it. I just wanted to make sure if i pull the ebrake while in motion my diffs wont die on me.

deecee

well hopefully others can answer your question more succinctly. I've never pushed my car to such limits that I'd need to pull the handbrake cornering.
Then again, my old suspension was (i'm pretty sure) original suspension, so it handled like a marshmellow on 4 wheels anyway so I was never tempted to push it hard lol.

Flying Bajan

Handbrake turns are no problem. Perform as you would in a RWD car for best effect.... i.e. dip the clutch when applying handbrake.

Be aware that as the h-brake is a drum setup, it will be much "sharper" than if you are used to a disc setup - unless of course that disc setup is a proper motorsport oriented hydraulic handbrake.

Tarmac_St165

Look cool? Aren't you funny. Who ever said I was using the E-brake to "be cool". There is times when I need to rotate the car fast and that is the fastest way. Maybe you should should check for wheels that fit before you try to buy rims.

lumbercis

Ouch! :rofl:

I'm not sure how long it would take to really hurt anything doing that. But I know that it won't immediately cause any problems if you just do it in a pinch. I used the e-brake to do a bunch of 180's in a parking lot a while back. (Just trying to look cool :rofl: ) and it never caused a problem with either my e-brake or diffs. I probably did it about 10-15 times total. Of course, if you are doing it constantly sooner or later you will need to do maintenance on your e-brake like anything else you beat on.

Have fun!

Mafix

aw seems i hit a nerve!
and please find me wider 15" wheels with a 5x100 lug pattern and the correct offset. then talk all you want.

Tarmac_St165

Yes ugly cars and dumbass attitudes strikes a nerve.

Its really not that hard to find.
Volk
Ssr
CCW
Rays
There is alot more companys that make custom sized wheels too. Im not going to spoon feed you.

Why widebody a car for no reason. It doesn't look cool. It just makes you like all the Hondas that go widebody with stock wheels. Pointless.
My question has been answered sorry for this off topic nonsense. If wish to continue this we can in PM's.
Thanks to the people that gave useful information.

Simba

Occasional use will not hurt anything providing your driveline is in good shape. If you've got worn bushings and the diff and trans can bounce around, it's generally not a good idea.

That said, you should never have to resort to the brake to step the rear out. Set the suspension up properly.

Tarmac_St165

Yeah, I did not intend on using it all the time just wondering if something were to happen and I needed to i wouldn't blow anything up.
Proper suspension setup is always a must. Just got a new job so goodies will be on the way soon :D

Mafix

all joking and punches aside. yes the suspension setup on these cars is very hard to get loose/tight enough to do what you are talking about. and not to count on the 165 chassis, they seem one way or the other. you either have too much grip or the rear snaps out.

(and yes i've looked at all those 5K for a set of wheels companies)

lumbercis

Not to get WAAAYY off-topic, but I don't want people to get the wrong idea. It shouldn't cost anywhere near 5K for a custom set of wheels in any size/offset you want.

For instance: http://www.ccwheel.com/files/wheelprofi ... id=Classic
$2200-$2400 a set depending on options. And these are very high quality motorsport wheels.
SSR and Work will also do custom offsets on their three piece wheels for comparable prices.

Expensive, sure. But not 5K expensive.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program. :D

CMS-GT4

To be on topic, when I went to performance rally school about 10 years ago, they said this type of car needs a special setup for using the handbrake for turns. One person mentioned setting up a system that does not send the power to the rear wheels when the handbrake is pulled. Members who race their 4s on gt4dc mention a using the external handbrake, that it is far better suited for these situations. I could see using the handbrake in certain types of really tight, slow turns, but for the most part if you are running a faster course, it will all be in your suspension setup.

Mafix

i believe they have different rear calipers, where the caliper is also the e-brake. hydrolic too i think.

Tarmac_St165

Yeah the hydro e brakes word great. But would it still end the same shock to the drivetrain. I mean its still all connected? How would you go about cutting the power to the rear wheels when using the e brake? Seems like a ton of work to set up a system like that.