Toyota Caldina ST215

xander279

I saw one of these 3SGTE Engines, Tranny, and ECU setups for sale on ebay for like 1600... i was wondering if this fits in the ST185 Chassis.

TXCajunman

how hard would it be to put it in a 90 alltrac 185? just different wiring harnesses?i wouldn't mind having one of them...:)

Gary ST165

TXCajunman":ii0aecaf said:
how hard would it be to put it in a 90 alltrac 185? just different wiring harnesses?i wouldn't mind having one of them...:)

It is a 3S engine so will drop in if you use ST185 engine and gearbox mounts. you will need the loom & ecu, coil on plug set up etc. (i dunno if you would want to go with the top mount interwarmer.)

its been done and documented. shouldn't take you too long to find some threads if you type +ST215 +Caldina in to the search engine.... :shoots:

amp279":ii0aecaf said:
this is exactly what i want to put into my st185 when i get it...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOTA-C ... 33598da6d8

260HP mutha trucka!

question is though, why do all that for a paultry 260 fly wheel hp? You can get that and more on ST185 stock engine and turbocharger if you update your engine management. ( i do appreciate that the ST215 engine itself is likely to be lower mileage and has improved lubrication system, but 260 hp on a high compression engine & high octane fuel is not anything to get too excited about!)

xander279

Gary ST165":27hgjztc said:
TXCajunman":27hgjztc said:

It is a 3S engine so will drop in if you use ST185 engine and gearbox mounts. you will need the loom & ecu, coil on plug set up etc. (i dunno if you would want to go with the top mount interwarmer.)

its been done and documented. shouldn't take you too long to find some threads if you type +ST215 +Caldina in to the search engine.... :shoots:

amp279":27hgjztc said:
this is exactly what i want to put into my st185 when i get it...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOTA-C ... 33598da6d8

260HP mutha trucka!

question is though, why do all that for a paultry 260 fly wheel hp? You can get that and more on ST185 stock engine and turbocharger if you update your engine management. ( i do appreciate that the ST215 engine itself is likely to be lower mileage and has improved lubrication system, but 260 hp on a high compression engine & high octane fuel is not anything to get too excited about!)

i don't have much aftermarket plans for it... and yes it does have very low miles.

Speedricer

This is what it looks like in a st 185
SANY0651.jpg

rlacapra

I recently purchased a 1990 Celica (ST185) with an already done Caldina ST215 swap. However the wiring was done fairly poorly, and I have a feeling the ECU is still the one from the original Celica motor. Speedricer, what ECU/wiring harness did you use for your swap?

lumbercis

I have this engine in my ST185. I had mr220v do my wiring harness and it's running great.

Be aware though that if you get a manual transmission one that the ST215 transmission doesn't have the drive gear for the speed sensor so if you use that trans you'll lose your speedo.

If I had it to do over again I think I'd probably have gone with an ST205 swap.

Btw, anyone happen to know if I can use any 3sgte alternator on these engines? My alternator went bad and the part number I found for the ST215 alt (27060‑74720) doesn't seem to be shared with any domestic chassis. So looking for something that will work. Stocker is a 100amp unit.

Thanks
J.

lumbercis

Using the Caldina ECU. No power mods other than an intake because the stock airbox wouldn't work. And yes, it needs a custom wiring harness, which I got from "mr220v" on the mr2oc boards.

J.

rlacapra

Oh okay. Good to know. If you don't mind me asking, what should I expect to spend between the harness and labor?

Also, as a general question; any recommendations for a standalone ECU for this engine? I am planning on getting it dyno tuned, and adding power mods.

Thanks again for the help.

GMan

Just some something to think about....
How many Caldina's came manual ? Most auctions I have seen are Auto boxes ?
Can you use the auto ECU to run the car with a manual tranny ????

Regards;
----------------------

celi_wabbit

GMan":1oft1hex said:
Just some something to think about....
How many Caldina's came manual ? Most auctions I have seen are Auto boxes ?
Can you use the auto ECU to run the car with a manual tranny ????

Regards;
----------------------

Yes! there are people that have done this already.

JeCs

Hi!

I'm making this swap in my ST185 but I'm using a ST205 3SGTE Ecu and ignition. I want to know how do you think it will works like?

what numbers on dyno you got whith that swap got.?

Thank you!

Please forgive my english is not very good I'm from Dominican Republic (Santo Domingo)

jecs, if ur using the st205 ecu on st215 engine, u will need to run st205 distributor/ignitor/st205 wire harness/coil/sparkplug wires/valve cover/. i would say jus buy a st205 engine set instead of converting 215 to 205.

JeCs

celicast184":3v3sndo4 said:
jecs, if ur using the st205 ecu on st215 engine, u will need to run st205 distributor/ignitor/st205 wire harness/coil/sparkplug wires/valve cover/. i would say jus buy a st205 engine set instead of converting 215 to 205.

I used to have an ST185 engine I made the electric part ST205 distributor/ignitor/st205 wire harness/coil/sparkplug wires so when I got the ST215 motor It was running with a Power FC ecu. I haven't bought the Power fc ecu, just the motor, I decide to use the motor with ST205 distributor/ignitor/st205 wire harness/coil/sparkplug wires/valve cover/ because thats how it was working before and find the others ST215 parts is a little bit hard here, but the engine was in a good price $$ and I did it, it's woring very nice. I think I going to a Dyno on this month if is like that I gonna tell you the results ;)