converting a st184 to st185

xander279

i have been told that this cannot be done.... i beg to differ

the gt-s and all trac turbo both share the same exact body (the widebody liftback)... which makes me believe not only can i swap in a cool st205 engine and tranny, but i can do other conversions such as a front bumper rc cs bumper replacement, and other cosmetic upgrades. but i think a drivetrain swap is possible as well, is it? i believe so but feedback would be great. plus would it be worth it or should i just buy a st185 and swap in a st205 engine/tranny and just bolt it up to the existing drivetrain?

88gt4DE

Theres a few people on here that know better than me , but i think the tunnel for the driveshaft isn't there .. some some sheet metal alterations would be in order. Im sure its not impossible with the right tools and a good welder ....

CMS-GT4

The tunnel is there. At least on some FWD models, I can't say for all. The rear pan and gas tank is the issue. It can be done, yes. But in the market, it is far cheaper to find an alltrac that needs a paint job, for less.

88gt4DE

Kewl on the tunnel ... good luck finding a gas tank ... Im there now ... none left anywhere. Even tried the locator at work ( toyota ) no good ... :bangshead:

Mafix

the roulette comment was for finding a gas tank and all the parts needed for that.
it's so much easier to get a 185. you need one anyways to do the swap. might as well just keep it and fix it with the FWD body.

chaos_cascade

Here you go. My first write up for the how to section.

How to covert your ST184 into ST185.

step 1.) Create Craigslist ad for your ST184

step 2.) Convert ST184 to cash

step 3.) Use alltrac.net and search Tempest to locate ST185 for sale

step 4.) Convert cash into ST185.

step 5.) Now you have created the project you wanted to work on anyway ( there will be things to do )

bloodMoney

^lol I like that :)

But honestly I think that if you have the time, money and skills to do it; why not? I think that if you can make it road-worthy and don't mind destroying a perfectly good ST18* You'll be pretty unique.

Just don't go around claiming that its a 'real' alltrac! :pissed:

~bloodMoney

xander279

bloodMoney":38wc5hfb said:
^lol I like that :)

But honestly I think that if you have the time, money and skills to do it; why not? I think that if you can make it road-worthy and don't mind destroying a perfectly good ST18* You'll be pretty unique.

Just don't go around claiming that its a 'real' alltrac! :pissed:

~bloodMoney

i would if it was awd with a 3sgte... with the widebody liftback (ST184) and CS Bumper and hood with gtfour decals on side and rear.... why not?

bloodMoney

I guess that I'm a stickler for purity. "alltrac elitist" if you will.

Why not just be honest with what you've got? One of the attractive features of this car is the 1/3000 claim that we have here in the states. Aside from maxaud and a few others who have brought them in from Canada, this still holds true. You could call it a 'conversion' but with what you will have spent on all of the custom work to get it to a drivable stage, you might as well have bought a real one.

I know that its coming off like I'm an ass, but honestly, I want you to make me eat my words. I want to see this done, b/c there have only been a few that have done this conversion and most of them are 6gens. I would like to see a build thread where a guy completes this.

~bloodMoney

WarTowels

Why attempt to make something that already exists?

If your going to convert something convert a sixth gen.

Otherwise, you are starting off with an inferior - everything.

Alltrac's aren't that hard to come by. Where are you located?

There are TWO Alltrac SHELLS a couple hours from me in Massachusetts.

Start with one of those! Then you can bolt on whatever you want! :shrug:

If I'm coming off like an ass, it's probably because I am one. :wink:

-Towels

mike325ci

:withstupid:

i'm still for the idea of splitting a ST205 into two, bringing it stateside, and then welding it back together. tada, ST205 in the states. :evil: someone do eeeeeeeeeeeet.

jonahs_3sgte

you can do a alltrac conversion on a st184
theres a guy on youtube who did it
well sorta
he put in a v6 with a 205 trans
then put the rear end in
but he had to put a fuel cell in it lol
how hes making it twin turbo lol

if i was going through the trouble of custom building a st184 into awd. i would beg the differ. with the work of putting in the driveshaft, subframe, differential, etc. i would just do a rwd conversion instead. with an longitudal mounted 3sgte and an altezza 6 speed trans and it will be set... much more work than converting awd, but well worth the effort ++1 for unique-ness... lolz

PhilliezRus

I have access to an USDM st185 with a Certificate of Destruction (Bad Title) and was wondering if it was worth buying for $3000(Asking Price).Reason being is I am inching closer to converting my ST184 that is already a Half-Trac (GT2) into a Healthy AWD. I have the Shop ready to do all the cutting and welding of the Floor, R-n-R all the necessary components to my ST184, but was wondering if $3000 for a parts(st185) was worth $3000. Thanks