Project - 205/TDO6/HALTECH ST165 - The Saga Continues

GT4_DRED

I've followed this car for quite a few years now, so I'm posting this page to continue documenting it's various stages - For those interested.

Previous stages can be found posted here http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=16890
And here http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19940

So I finally had time to drive up and pick the car up from Georgia to Nebraska - what a drive! So 19 hrs going (due to a snow storm) and 14 hrs coming back. A buddy and I tag teamed the driving so it wasn't that bad.

Initial plan is to replace the piston(s) and get it running with the 3rg gen it currently has. Get it to the dyno for some tuning in time for some mountain runs once spring rolls around. From there I'll be replacing the 3rd Gen with something better - a 2nd Gen of course :D ! I'll also be pulling the td06 setup, haltech, and atw cooler hopefully by end of summer. I post updates as they happen.

Leaving for the new home:

IMG00194-20100130-1832.jpg

IMG00195-20100130-1832.jpg

IMG00193-20100130-1832.jpg

Currently how the she sits:

IMG00199-20100201-1557.jpg

IMG00201-20100201-1557.jpg

IMG00203-20100201-1558.jpg

IMG00210-20100201-1602.jpg

IMG00211-20100201-1603.jpg

More to come as I begin tearing into her...

GT4times2

Looking sweet (I see it's already washed). I'm loving the pics, especially the last one (with the Lex). I wish I could have made the trip with you guys. Glad you got this car. It went into the right hands.

GT4_DRED

GT4_DRED":2ium7zwl said:
Initial plan is to replace the piston(s) and get it running with the 3rg gen it currently has. Get it to the dyno for some tuning in time for some mountain runs once spring rolls around. From there I'll be replacing the 3rd Gen with something better - a 2nd Gen of course ! I'll also be pulling the td06 setup, haltech, and atw cooler hopefully by end of summer. I post updates as they happen.

So 10 days later and plans have changed.. LOL.. After a bit of research I'm gonna keep the 3rd gen, stroke the bottom end, and massage and play with the head a bit - hey I'm lonely :shrug: ..

Bottom End: I've picked up a 5s crank, CP stroker pistons, and a set of Cunningham rods (3sgte).

Head: Got a set of stainless 1mm os valves, ATS springs, and I'm looking for a set of HKS 264s or Kelford 268s along with a set of adjustable gears... I'm contemplating doing a custom plenum on the factory runners.

Fuel/Mgmt: Got a set of 780's for now and I need a top-feed 3rd gen rail... I'm not completely sold on the Haltech E6k, so I'm looking at some other options.

Drivetrain: Picked up a CM FX700 for the 205 tranny and I'm still researching whether or not it's worth installing the 205 rear diff..

Misc: Still need to install the 205 rear brakes, front mount IC and piping, build a 3" turbo-back exh, put interior together, yada.. yada.. yada... There quite a bit to do..

GT4_DRED

Picked up the parts from the machine shop after getting:
multi-angle performance valve job
seats cut for 1mm o/s valves and assembled
BC springs installed
new guides and seals
5s crank cut/polished for 3s rods
rotating assembly fully balanced (pully, crank, rods, pistons/pins, f/w and p/p)

Finished the welding on the intake manifold.. got the fuel rail and 880cc inj.. pe intercooler.. and some other stuff.. seriously considering doing tubular twin-scroll manifold - instead of the adapter.. anyway, just a bit of an update as I continue to gather parts.. should be pulling/sending the block to the machine shop in a few weeks and still deciding on what cam set to go with - the 3rd gen gsc 268's are tempting..

GT4times2

Looking really good!!! The machine shop did some nice work.

I'm sending some heads your way, (3S heads that is).....You know what I mean. :p

I'll drive up with one of them to have them look at it when I go up there. You're moving along faster than expected. (somewhat of rarity around here :| )

Show pics of the crankshaft.

5speedGT4

wow, looks like its coming along well

thank god someone that gives a shit about this car bought it.

LMK if you need any help/have issues with it. Im the original owner... still have a few parts laying around.

3sgtenavyman

WOW, looks awesome just as good as I remember in high school.

LMK if you need help, I helped Andrew build the car twice, mostly over the phone the second time

Just glad the car went to some one that’s going to respect the car

GT4_DRED

5speedGT4":c60q5n9y said:
wow, looks like its coming along well thank god someone that gives a shit about this car bought it.
LMK if you need any help/have issues with it. Im the original owner... still have a few parts laying around.
It's def. coming along and I'll probably be reaching out to you as I begin to reassemble things and put the a/c back in - this is HOTlanta. Shoot me an IM on what you have left.. I think the prev. owner had good intentions with the car, but I can see how it could be overwhelming.. Do you still have pic of the car on the track?

3sgtenavyman":c60q5n9y said:
WOW, looks awesome just as good as I remember in high school. LMK if you need help, I helped Andrew build the car twice, mostly over the phone the second time - Just glad the car went to some one that’s going to respect the car
I'll def be reaching out for help when the time comes. I gotta say that the work done to the car was pretty good, so it's making my job a lil easier. Just getting parts together for now, but hopefully within the month I'll be ready to assemble the motor.

GT4_DRED

So I decided on the GSC Power-Division S1 3rd gen cams since they were running a really nice group buy on the mr2 forums. I heavily considered the S2, but decided that the lift on the S1 was enough for my current goals (these would also be really nice in a gen2 head). I cant wait to see what this head does with the HX40pro, but I'm wondering if the stock turbo manifold may be a bottleneck? Here is what the head looks like so far..

Head: 3rd Gen
Cams: GSC-S1 (In-268 Duration, 10.5mm Peak lift/Ex-268 Duration, 10.2mm Peak lift)
Valves: 1mm o/s stainless
Springs: Brian Crower
Ports: Sort radius modded for o/s valves, but otherwise stock

I decided to go with a 5s block after all, so it's at the machine shop along with the pistons. I sure wish there were some E85 station local, oh well it's getting there..

GT4times2

Dude, you are on your way to a very nice build. At this rate, I'd have to put the Alltracs aside and get that Evo or STi to run with you. :notworthy:

5speedGT4

GT4_DRED":2uxi1h17 said:
5speedGT4":2uxi1h17 said:
wow, looks like its coming along well thank god someone that gives a shit about this car bought it.
It's def. coming along and I'll probably be reaching out to you as I begin to reassemble things and put the a/c back in - this is HOTlanta. Shoot me an IM on what you have left.. I think the prev. owner had good intentions with the car, but I can see how it could be overwhelming.. Do you still have pic of the car on the track?

3sgtenavyman":2uxi1h17 said:
WOW, looks awesome just as good as I remember in high school. LMK if you need help, I helped Andrew build the car twice, mostly over the phone the second time - Just glad the car went to some one that’s going to respect the car
I'll def be reaching out for help when the time comes. I gotta say that the work done to the car was pretty good, so it's making my job a lil easier. Just getting parts together for now, but hopefully within the month I'll be ready to assemble the motor.

Yeah i got a box of shit around here somewhere.... jonathan has the rest of the parts (3sgtenavyman) at his place. Ill take a look when i get a chance.

Oh yeah, i got a fuck load of pics from autox, track, dragstrip...etc. May even have the 12.88 1/4mile slip from when it was on the 185 motor with a ct20b.

GT4times2

5speedGT4":32oqc6v0 said:
Oh yeah, i got a fuck load of pics from autox, track, dragstrip...etc. May even have the 12.88 1/4mile slip from when it was on the 185 motor with a ct20b.

Post the pics here.

GT4_DRED

[quote="5speedGT4"]Any updates?[/quote

Been a pretty busy year, but I'm now focused on moving the project forward. I decided against using the 3rd gen 3sgte block, or any 3sgte block for that matter and went with an '01 5sfe block instead. I got a set of Wiseco stroker pistons (88mm bore), so now I just need to send the block w/pistons to the machine shop to be bored. Also in the process of making another intake manifold using a "D" plenium and shorter runners (Plenium will sit lower in the bay). I've got all the parts to do the turbo manifold and just need to build a jig to hold the turbine housing in place so I can start tacking it together. Picked up a really nice divided collector and 44mm vband wastegate to make things a little easier. All that's left are engine bearings, HV oil pump, and a larger set of injector (gonna start with the 850cc I currently have. I'm really looking forward to assembling the engine soon.