Prepping the 165 for rally but also track work

TRDcelica90

hey guys i wanna rally my car but also hillclimb, track work and motorkhanas what kinda all round set up in regards to brakes and suspension should i look at??

Corey

ORRRRRR lol

if you cant afford that, might also consider Ksport which makes some rally suspension and big brake kits of different sizes.

Not in the same league as DMS and AP, but far more affordable option.

TRDcelica90

Thanks gary: something to consider when i get more serious with it.. but low budget atm, thats just over 3x the amount i paid for the car lol..

Thanks cory i will look into it.. was also thinking the konis and whiteline springs. But im gonna have t osee what kinda things ill be racing on, incase there are HUGE bumps and jumps lol

for brakes i was just considering maybe ferodo DS2500s or some EBC. not looking at changing calipers yet..

would love to get this into some serious rally/tarmac events one day and bring back these awesome cars..

thanks

Gary ST165

the BC RM series inverted mono tube type coilovers are another budget option. (cheap DMS copy)

http://www.bc-racing.co.uk/rm-series-coilovers.asp

but you do want a coilover for the extra ride height (rally) rather than crappy fast road "lowering" springs and hence very limited shock travel.
whiteline springs are a no no. many UK 165 owners have moved on from these as they are simply no good for track, let alone rally. barely adequate for straight line road use :lol:

TRDcelica90

bringing this back to life because i have more questions..

In terms of cooling, i want to go a nice alloy rad and im thinking ASI?? (budget racer), but will it hold up to the extra strain placed upon it?

electric water pump the go or will standard suffice?

Timing belt?? will a standard toyota timing belt cut it or should i look at aftermarket "extra strength" belts, or are they a load of shite?

thanks guys

MWP

Are you on Toymods? If not, sign up ASAP :)

The answer is "no" to all your questions.
None of that is required unless your pushing the engine way over standard (ie, >200kw/atw).