Grand Turismo - Aussie ST185 - track day found the weakness

Talk about your project car here

Re: Grand Turismo - Aussie ST185 - new pics

Postby redGT4 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:35 am

aus jd 2703 wrote:if any u guys come to qld or know some gt4 owners up here let me know, i should have mine back together soon and wanna go for a cruise, sorry but sa is a lil far at this stage :D

We should all cruise up to your place and crash the night. Cross country cruise top gear style. :D
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
54 trim hiflowed ct26; Custom top mount;2 1/2" exhaust; Turbosmart boost controller(not fitted); Autometer CF series; Everything else stock; The Haunter of the Hills.
redGT4
Club Member

Postby redGT4 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:44 am

Great cruise last night fellas. Good to catch up. But that fog was killer. Once we left the bus stop at piggot range road i had no idea where we went until we got close to blackwood. f*** they looked good parked together though.

I'm definitely the slowest car out of the bunch but at least it was shiny!
54 trim hiflowed ct26; Custom top mount;2 1/2" exhaust; Turbosmart boost controller(not fitted); Autometer CF series; Everything else stock; The Haunter of the Hills.
redGT4
Club Member

Postby MWP » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:25 pm

Yeah, was great to meet you guys finally.

I love a good hills cruise (if you didnt notice :P), so the fog was quite annoying.
Still, it was a good few hours out on the road, and chatting.

Ill get the photos up soonish...
My collection of GT4 documentation: http://gt4.mwp.id.au
Daily: Celica GT4 ST185 (~170kw/atw)
Project: Toyota RA28 '77 Celica (1UZ-FE powered)
Chairman of the SA Classic Celica Club.
MWP
Established Member

Re: Grand Turismo - Aussie ST185

Postby redGT4 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:57 am

Found a sweet new road. Well its more like a short tarmac special stage. Ends at a junction of four dirt roads, which matt didn't want to take his grpA on. The bad news is this a midday only cruise site. Why? Its near Mt Magnificent known for its Western Grey 'roos.

What else? Developed an oil leak from somewhere at the back of the motor. Chipped the f**king paint as well, a large flake from the edge of the fender/drivers door. Time to start doing some maintenance before the track day.
redGT4
Club Member

Postby aus jd 2703 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:05 am

redGT4 wrote:
aus jd 2703 wrote:if any u guys come to qld or know some gt4 owners up here let me know, i should have mine back together soon and wanna go for a cruise, sorry but sa is a lil far at this stage :D

We should all cruise up to your place and crash the night. Cross country cruise top gear style. :D

hey my gt four is running...
just starting to put the interior and finishing touches then i gotta register it. as soon as its on the road you guys are more then welcome :D
i wanna take it to melbourne this year but doubful as i need to trouble shoot and make sure its reliable first
aus jd 2703
Established Member

Postby MWP » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:08 pm

redGT4 wrote:Found a sweet new road. Well its more like a short tarmac special stage. Ends at a junction of four dirt roads, which matt didn't want to take his grpA on.

Please do tell...

The awesome road i was talking about on the cruise is here:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 4aa2009b6f

Enter it from the Badbury side to avoid the gravel/dirt road.
MWP
Established Member

Postby redGT4 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:55 am

Nice - i've always driven the Jupiter Creek side of Mt Bold, Razorback road. The road i'd mentioned was just south of it on the map. The turn off is on the adelaide - goolwa road, just south of meadows is mcharg creek, just zoom in on the map there, you'll see five roads join together.

I cant wait for my long service leave - all of september off work! Yay! I'll be hitting a few of these peninsula roads up.
redGT4
Club Member

Postby MWP » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:20 am

You need to look at the Classic Adelaide and Adelaide Hills Tarmac Rally stage maps :)
These are all roads that have been used in these rallies over the years.

I run CCCSA cruises along these roads/stages quite often.
MWP
Established Member

Postby redGT4 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:02 am

Well having not driven her for a couple of weeks led to a flat battery, then i went to charge it and boom! battery charger literally goes up in smoke! So after breaking out the older charger yesterday i managed to go for a run today. What a run it was - i managed to go 240kph in 2 gear - while off the throttle! Yes. The friggin speedo is playing up - bounced around from 100 to off the dial for a while. then i parked, turned off the car and restarted - went back to normal. :shrug: A few ticks and rattles and whines appeared every now and then as well.

So i am having September as long service leave - which i have planned for some quality celica time. My plan:

Oil leaks - identify and stop the oil leak from intake mani side of engine and DD's oil leaks as well.
Battery to boot -
Custom din fascia - fibreglass time :)
Tune / compression test - I want to hit Mallala track with 15psi;
Steam clean interior - With electric adjustable seat i'm worried about moisture f**kn the seat up - something to look into.
Change the aerial to a short rubber one.
Some other shit....

I stumbled upon http://www.carmate.com/display_products_cat.php?carMake=toyota&carModel=Celica&year=1990-1994 for celica bodykits & carbon bonnets. But of course they dont have CS bumpers :(. I did like the first front bar "C Style". needs more pics of it though.
redGT4
Club Member

Postby redGT4 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:26 am

Battery must be losing like 1 volt a day. This morning it was 11.5v, just not enough to start the car :(. I suspect it may be my wiring of the relay. Thats todays mission, to chase this leak. Charged it for 10 min then went for a nice blast in the hills this morning around 10am - Through Clarendon, blackwood, happy valley and back to old reynella. Very little traffic so i could blast through the corners. My double clutching is improving as well.

And don't you just hate when you go past a cop, then next thing you know they've done a u-turn and close up on your arse. The benefits of a clean stock car and a clean license always shines through at those moments.
redGT4
Club Member

Postby MWP » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:29 am

Battery drain issues like that can be a bastard to find :(
Got a multimeter you can check current draw with?
Sure its not just a dead battery?

Double clutching? What for?
Or do you mean heal-toe?
MWP
Established Member

Postby aus jd 2703 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:57 am

If the gt4 is the same as a normal celica heel toe is near impossible or am I doing it wrong?
aus jd 2703
Established Member

Postby MWP » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:01 am

Pedals are set out quite nicely to do it in mine... not that ive ever tried though, haven't had a need to yet.
If i do a few laps around Mallala one day, maybe then ill give it a try.
MWP
Established Member

Postby aus jd 2703 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:18 am

I found the accelerater to high
aus jd 2703
Established Member

Postby redGT4 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:40 am

Yeah, double clutching, my gearbox is a bit clunky - in fact i've driven a tractor with better shift feel. Double clutching just removes the nastiness during 2 -> 3 and 3-> 4. It takes a bit of practice to get it going, but once in the groove it's all good. I would recommend double clutching all the time actually - it was used before syncros and helical gears to reduce stress on transmissions - it reduces the stress on mine when shifting thats for sure. I'd like an experienced opinion on the gearbox as well....

As for heel and toe - too difficult with my size 12's. I've done left foot braking waaaaayyy back, It was like i had never used brakes before thats how bad my brain to left foot connection was!
redGT4
Club Member

PreviousNext

Return to My Project