MixMaster - Now 3rd gen EFI powered!

MixMaster

Instead of posting up random stuff all over the board, I figured I would go ahead and start a project thread.
I have a 93' Red All-Trac bought almost blindly from a guy in NY and had it shipped to TX. The motor had been swapped with a "94 MR2 motor and only had 44k miles on the motor after swap". The actual mileage, year of the motor is still a mystery. The owner moved and has basically vanished from the web after my purchase so I'm constantly finding easter eggs everytime I do something with the car. Some good and some rotten - hence the beast or burden and lack of a name yet.
The car came with a 2nd Gen JDM motor, a 7stud exhaust manifold on a 9 bolt head and a ct20b with a blitz 50mm diffuser. :shrug:
I basically justified the purchase because I liked the wheels, the body was straight, the paint was fresh , had a great boost controller and power meter and was a '93.

So 14 years later of wanting another red all-trac, I've finally pulled it off. Wife, job and 4 kids keep my time limited to work on it. My wife hates the car, thinks it's a mid life crisis, etc. but this literally is my favorite car of all time regardless of time period. No one else knows what it is and I really don't care as it's for my enjoyment. That being said, I'm over cautious working on the car, have bought and sold several parts as I struggle with what direction I want to take the car in.... For example, in the first month's of ownership I bought an AEM EMS, RC bumper and bay area FMIC....sold all of it off and decided to start at the bottom and work my way up. I've never even changed my own oil before this car so it's been a great learning process the whole way through.

Here's the for sale ad and how I got the car:

Since then, I've done hours upon hours of scrubbing, cleaning, touch up painting, fluid changes, maintenance, etc... along with a few mods.
Since I've had it-everything has been done by only me:
Replaced torn middle arm rest
Replaced worn leather steering wheel
Replaced shifter knob with new TRD
Installed a st205 Torsen LSD
Pulled the 550 injectors and replaced with fresh cleaned 440s. The car ran pig rich with no way to control the 550s.
TRD wires, new rotor, BKR7Es
Pulled off the heat wrap and installed stock heat shield.
Fabricated a straight intake
Speed Source Shifter cable bushings (also flipped sugar cube at the same time)
Speed Source extended clutch slave rod
Installed EVO 8 FMIC with ebay DIY piping, couplers from KO and silicone intakes, used a 93 MR2 TB inlet.
Pulled the remaining AC components
Replaced Vacuum lines with silicone - on going as I try to find a vacuum leak (boost controlelr was T-d from MAP sensor. All is good. Silicone from boostcontroller.com
Berk 3" DP

Parts ready to go in all OEM parts ordered from Aaron and Lithia Toyota:
Water pump, timing belt, cam seals, thermostat, idler pullies, tensioner, valve cover gaskets, everything normally needed for freshening up the motor without pulling the head.
Speed Source SS clutch line
Gen 3 electronics swap
Gen 3 cams
Gen 3 injectors (540cc)

The car came with the Whiteline "Works" package. "Adjustable Koni's, whiteline springs, front and rear strut tower braces, Whiteline adjustable rear sway bar.
Stainless steel goodridge brake lines (Eater egg)
CT20b (easter egg)
18" Compomotive MO 1880 wheels with H&R spacers in rear
Previous owner also left the alternator in the stock MR2 location and god rid of the power steering while he pulled the ABS at the same time. This leaves a lot of room in the engine bay but also seemed to be a bit hacked up before I started cleaning it up.

Rotten Eggs needing help: Leaky Brake Master cylinder due to custom made hard lines, clutch travel very short, both need to be bled and adjusted I'm sure. Waiting on Speedbleeders.

That's about it off the top of my head. Again, just needed a spot to place my ramblings and pics. Thanks!

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 3,632
  • IMGP0512.jpg
    IMGP0512.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 3,632
  • 2010-04-18 18.06.21.jpg
    2010-04-18 18.06.21.jpg
    484.7 KB · Views: 3,632

MixMaster

More current pics.

Attachments

• 2010-04-17 17.51.33.jpg
    2010-04-17 17.51.33.jpg
    462.4 KB · Views: 3,631
  • right corner.jpg
    right corner.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 3,631
  • backright.jpg
    backright.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 3,631

darthripley

nice job on getting the fmic all mounted & fixed up 8)

good luck fixing the brake master & the clutch pedal travel -- if you need any help we're always here :)

p.s. NitroAlltrac (Mike) is moving down to San Antonio in a few weeks so we'll have another red Alltrac to join us --- I'm thinking maybe us 3 red tracs can do the 3 Sisters route real soon :D :D

MixMaster

I test fitted my RC bumper and Hood to see what style I want to go with.
I'm undecided if I want to keep the RC hood. It's probably because I always liked the traditional All-Trac look the best. Anyone else think this way????
I definitely like the way the bumper looks, just needs to be painted.
Plan to start the maintenance and gen 3 component swaps this month.

Pics:
rcbumper-AThood-front.jpg
RCbumper-hood-str8.jpg
rcbumper-AThood-top.jpg

MixMaster

Last pic for comparison

These are all JDM OEM parts. The hood has all of the hardware, spoilers, windshield nozzles, etc.
The bumper has everything including the screens, support, and piping for a heat exchanger or in my case FMIC sprayer.

Attachments

• RCbumper-hood-top.jpg
    RCbumper-hood-top.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 3,559
  • RCfitted-side.jpg
    RCfitted-side.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 3,556

CMS-GT4

I remember seeing that car on the web a lot for a while. I could never fully decide if I liked the lack of side molding or not. It does look like a good project though. I never realized those were 18s though.

MixMaster

Thanks CMS - I like the non side moldings a lot.
I really don't even notice it.
The previous guy shaved everything.
It was for sale forever. I finally got a good deal on it and had it shipped down.
Just wish I had AC and maybe power steering...lol

On the car being everywhere on the NET. I guess he tried to sell it or posted up in so many places I see it all the time. If you google, red all-trac it's all over in there with his old pics.

darthripley

I like the RC bumper for sure - it will look very nice once it's painted red.
Nice job with the Evo FMIC too 8)

I can understand where you're coming from with the hood. I like the RC hood, but part of me loves the US scoop style hood a lot too. Loved the hood ever since I saw the cars new in the dealership back in '91-92.
Since you have the FMIC you'd prolly be ok sticking with the scoop hood, but there's no doubt the RC hood allows more heat to vent out from the engine bay which is never a bad thing.
Weight is pretty similar between the two hoods so I guess it comes down to the venting & which one you like on the car better.

MixMaster

I found out the weights were pretty similar last night while doing a juggling act to get them off and on. It was not fun doing it solo. Maybe if I went ahead and got it painted it might sit a bit better with me. The bumper I love though. I think this is my 4th RC bumper before finally keeping it installed...lol
So freaking indecisive between stock USDM looks.

On the evo FMIC, I'll post up some pics on the install. It's ridiculous how close to being a perfect fit it was. I picked up 3 pieces of steel, cut to fit the brackets and bolted it on. The Mounting holes on the core are almost directly across from the extra holes on the frame.

I would like to clock the turbo but no guts on trying that yet....

CMS-GT4

The only hard thing about clockin the turbo is making a waste gate bracket. If you can weld, that makes it much simpler. Just go to sears and pick up a c-clamp pliers and it is really easy to rotate the turbo with the radiator out.

Terracar

I love the look of the car man. I am in the same boat as you - I cannot decide if I like the hood or not. I personally thing the scoop hood matches the lines of the RC bumper better, but the scoop hood holds way too much heat in.

Glad to see the Evo intercooler fits nicely with the stock USDM bumper - I assume you kept the support in with it. Could you get more side shots of the car? I would like to remove the moldings on mine off since they are rotting/marred beyond belief.

Keep up the nice work. It is an inspiration.

-Terracar

Nitro_Alltrac

Hey Paul! I had missed your project thread earlier. The car looks great! You got a lot of great parts in the deal.

The RC bumper, in my opinion, just put the 5 gens over the top. It really changes the look of the car. I think you'll be happy with it.

As for the hood, I like both of them. The standard scoop looks really good on the cars. The RC looks good as well and has the advantage of getting more heat out of the engine compartment. The only disadvantage that I see is that if leaves your business open to everyone. That shouldn't be an issue but I always think about all of the damn hoodlums out there.

Great work! Keep us updated.

MixMaster

Hey Terracar here are some pics I found of the car from the side so you can see the non moldings.
I need to photoshop these wheels in white and bronze to see what they would look like compared to the chronos. I also need to tint the windows, lol.

Thanks Mike, On the hood I'm still undecided it. It has the thermal blanket on the underside and all the stickers. I think the blanket is on it's way out though. Good point on the hoodlums. Just need to make some decisions and find more time!

Terracar":xzzjc38y said:
I love the look of the car man. I am in the same boat as you - I cannot decide if I like the hood or not. I personally thing the scoop hood matches the lines of the RC bumper better, but the scoop hood holds way too much heat in.

Glad to see the Evo intercooler fits nicely with the stock USDM bumper - I assume you kept the support in with it. Could you get more side shots of the car? I would like to remove the moldings on mine off since they are rotting/marred beyond belief.

Keep up the nice work. It is an inspiration.

-Terracar

Attachments

• leftside.jpg
    leftside.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 2,710
  • rightside.jpg
    rightside.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 2,710

MixMaster

I think I'm going to post up both sets of wheels and my RC hood for sale.
Then take the $ from which ever sells first to paint the bumper, get my maintenance work done and finish the gen 3 efi/cam/injector swap.

I want to have the car finished out and done for the meet in October and have no time to do the work myself.