Project CMS

CMS-GT4

Now I need someone to confirm that the rear axle splines are the same as the fronts, as I have found the rear wheel bearing are the same PN.

I might be doing this whole conversion all around.

EDIT: So far everything looks to bolt up, except one thing. The tire rod hole diameter is a little bigger, but I think its safe to assume I can just get a set of rav4 tie rod ends and be in business. I can always go custom if I need to.

I don't have a lot of time I can spend on this right now, but once I do, I will pop off the calipers and see how much further the 205 caliper sits above the rotor to get an estimate of rotor sizes that might fit and if I need to consider a bracket.

darthripley

very good info here.
i am curious as to what calipers will work.
large toyota 5x114.3 rotors are a breeze to find compared to 205 rotors (stateside)
i can think of Supra TT rotors, LS400 & Tundras off the top of my head, but am unsure of the center bore.
is the Rav4 center bore different than the ST185? since I know the ST205 is slightly larger.

GT4times2

CMS-GT4":yq881q8e said:
Now I need someone to confirm that the rear axle splines are the same as the fronts, as I have found the rear wheel bearing are the same PN.

I might be doing this whole conversion all around.

EDIT: So far everything looks to bolt up, except one thing. The tire rod hole diameter is a little bigger, but I think its safe to assume I can just get a set of rav4 tie rod ends and be in business. I can always go custom if I need to.

I don't have a lot of time I can spend on this right now, but once I do, I will pop off the calipers and see how much further the 205 caliper sits above the rotor to get an estimate of rotor sizes that might fit and if I need to consider a bracket.

Are you using the RX300/Highlander parts I mentioned a while back? What do you need? I abandonned the 5x114.3 conversion project, due to more wheels being produced in the sizes I was looking for (for the ST185 anyways), but I can still help you with what you need.

Just let me know what you need, I'll go to the shop this weekend and check whatever else you need me to. As far as I remember we used the RX300/Highlander spindle, LS400 calipers, and rotors for our conversion. I will go again and check.

CMS-GT4

I am using a 99 rav4 spindle, and 185 axles. So far the only thing I think I need to change is to the rav4 tierod end. The ball joint for the rav4 might need to be changed as well, but maybe not. It just looks like the metal on the rav 4 spindle might be thicker for a longer bolt from the ball joint.

As for brakes, the 205 calipers fit, I just need to decide on rotors and if I want to use a bracket for larger rotors. I am not going to move too quick on this since it will be at least a month till I have the car back, and I have a lot of projects going on for school and work.

I was just curious if the 185 rear axle spline is the same as the front. If so, I think I can use the rav4 front spindles on the rear.

gtfour77

CMS-GT4":3rm92ze4 said:
I am using a 99 rav4 spindle, and 185 axles. So far the only thing I think I need to change is to the rav4 tierod end. The ball joint for the rav4 might need to be changed as well, but maybe not. It just looks like the metal on the rav 4 spindle might be thicker for a longer bolt from the ball joint.

I might have a full conversion for sale...including brakes, quick steer mod/spherical joints and all (bolt on)... :wink:

CMS-GT4

PM me this hell of a deal and I will think about it.

I am waiting on some news this afternoon that might put my car to a halt though. We shall see once my wife gets out of her meeting.

CMS-GT4

Sorry, I meant hub, not spindle for the rear. Use stock 185 ebrake, and likely rear supra rotors. If I do the rears, it won't be until I consider new wheels. For now, 205 rear brakes and a rear adapter suit me just fine.

CMS-GT4

So due to some news that has just come up from my wife's work I am just doing the paint work and any reliability work that's needed.

At least now you guys know the rav4 hub splines are the same as the altracs. For now this goes back in the box.

lumbercis

@GT4times2: did you complete a rear conversion using highlander parts? Is there a thread somewhere i missed?

@GTfour77: you just did a front conversion correct? Not the rears?

@CMS: any way you can do a test fit just so we can see whether these will bolt up?

Thanks all,
J

CMS-GT4

Lined it up against a 185 spindle. Strut holes seem to be the same. Uses the same type of ball joint. Tierod end is larger diamter.

CMS-GT4

So we are not moving to Chicago, but I am not sure how long my wife will have work here. So right now I am only doing the paint and body work and any maintenance required to make the car a daily driver. If anything changes I will go back to previous plans. I will mostly be focusing on school and work as well as figuring out if and where we might be moving.