Project Add power to make Sith - waiting for new home 8/20

Hotrodhendrix

Gosh darn you guys. I finally get back to the alltrac and you two have taken vadar to a whole new level. It looks GREAT!!!! Cant wait to see it in person

darthripley

Thanks James! We will have to get together very soon.

We were able to get the blanked out antenna wing/spoiler tip installed this weekend, so here are some pics below.

It was originally grey metallic so Joe sanded & filled a few scratches/cracks that were on it & I primed, painted with Super Red & clear coat.
Here it is freshly painted + clear coated on my high tech painting cart on the backyard patio:
wingtip1.jpg

Underside of the wing tip had old rubber gaskets falling apart so we got new gaskets from Toyota & cleaned the underside. Here they are laid out, ready to paste on:
wingtip3.jpg

New gaskets installed & ready to go onto Vadar:
wingtip4.jpg

wingtip5.jpg

Removed the old wing tip --- really dirty underneath yuk!
wingtip6.jpg

Antenna mast/motor location in the rear quarter panel:
wingtip7.jpg

Antenna removed, what to do with the hole left behind?
wingtip8.jpg

How about an OEM plug which fits perfectly to keep water from getting in the rear quarter!
wingtip9.jpg

Comparison of old wing tip with antenna hole vs. new blanked out tip installed:
wingtip10.jpg

Installed on Vadar looking nice & clean:
wingtip11.jpg

The stock antenna mast + motor weighs 2lbs 5oz, so not a huge loss in weight, but nice to have the rear end nice & clean while still being able to listen to the radio.

That's it for now on Vadar.
I have other little projects lined up for him, but for now we will drive him & enjoy him in current form. :)
We're focusing on Super 2/R2 as we want Super 2 up & running by Christmas time before it gets cold as I really cannot stand working in the cold.

darthripley

Thanks for the nice comments guys :)

Dan - I swear the guy I got the 185 piece from in NZ had a 165 blanked out piece also...maybe you can try to PM him over there :shrug:

James - I didn't honestly set out looking for the piece, just sort of fell into my lap. I prefer OEM parts wherever possible & with this piece being solid I don't have to ever worry about body filler shrinking or cracking over time.

Hotrodhendrix

I fiber glassed it in so I wouldnt have that problem. How is your reception with the rear window antenna? Mine has been a bit sketchy lately.

LegacyofDan

darthripley":kor7dvl1 said:
Dan - I swear the guy I got the 185 piece from in NZ had a 165 blanked out piece also...maybe you can try to PM him over there :shrug:

Its worth a pm, is he on this board i assume? board name? thank you! :)

UtahSleeper

I don't think pics do this beast justice! Vadar is in jaw dropping shape. I am still in shock at the level of cleanliness in the engine bay.

Note to self, never get in the back seat of a 185 :)

Thanks for the hospitality on sunday. Sorry I had to bail out.

darthripley

James, reception seems ok for us so far :shrug:

No prob Dan - good luck with getting it. :)

Chris, thanks so much! it was our pleasure & no prob on having to split - you're welcome to come by again anytime you're in the area :)

Meurz

Man when I visit the US again I'd love to check out all these updates (on both cars) irl. It's getting better and better. 8)

Droptop93

Great work Ripley and Joe! keep it up, next time Im in Plano visiting the Mother-in-law ill see if i can get away and meet you both since your in the area. Maybe ill have my very own trac with me(vert got hit, and possibly totaled{started a thread in club chat about that})

either way your car is an inspriation to alot of us.

toayoztan

Keri, can you take pictures of your steering wheel installed on your alltrac without flash (day or night, either is fine)? Thanks!

Bryan

darthripley

I can do that, the only problem is the alltrac is over at my parents place right now... so it'll prolly be a couple weeks before we go over there again.
However, I have the same wheel in my Camry if you just want to see the wheel itself, just let me know.