Dynamat as Hoodliner

redGT4

My hoodliner must be the original one, so after twenty years its held up fairly well, but needs retirement. I was considering Dynamat products as the replacement, with the oil / water resist Dynaliner over the silver Dynamat.

Anyone know it holds up as hoodliner? How long it lasts, problems with it etc.

Sifu

I've seen forum members use dynamat (or their less expensive counter part that completely escapes me). I've also heard the debates of the older fire pad and what it is suppose to do vs. pulling it out and replacing it with dynamat.

So yeah you can.

redGT4

TRDcelica90":1acgppzb said:
why do u want one though? i run without it, doesnt ruin the paint at all!! save ur money!!!

Then i'd have to cut and polish the inside of the bonnet. Then regularly clean it. :cry:

cmonteiro1

Someone also made something out of some of that silver heat reflecting material you can buy at a hardware store. It actually looked pretty sharp. Not sure how well it functioned though. Anyone have link to that picture? I don't have a hood liner at all.

aus jd 2703

imo depending on colour combo but polished aluminum between the reinforcement mmm sexc
on another note i was wanting to make my cabin of my gt4 quieter has any one had experiences with adding sound deading like dynamat? what are the key areas to lower cabin noise?

Landon

redGT4":3pbeyisz said:
TRDcelica90":3pbeyisz said:
why do u want one though? i run without it, doesnt ruin the paint at all!! save ur money!!!

Then i'd have to cut and polish the inside of the bonnet. Then regularly clean it. :cry:

why would you have to cut and polish it? i'm confused. lol. i pulled mine, painted it flat black, and dust it down with every car wash. its pretty simple. seems like the engine would almost run cooler too. paints stayed fine too. yours should have good paint under it? look at ripleys car. they took it out and it looks good underneath.

redGT4

Landon":3v7co3ws said:
why would you have to cut and polish it? i'm confused. lol. i pulled mine, painted it flat black, and dust it down with every car wash. its pretty simple. seems like the engine would almost run cooler too. paints stayed fine too. yours should have good paint under it? look at ripleys car. they took it out and it looks good underneath.

The paint is okay condition from the areas i can peek at, but would need to be cut back, then polished, glazed and waxed for me to be satisfied. I'm planning to enter her in a show in march so i cant clean the bay then leave the bonnet looking shit, thats just plain f'ing wrong in my book.

aus jd 2703":3v7co3ws said:
imo depending on colour combo but polished aluminum between the reinforcement mmm sexc
on another note i was wanting to make my cabin of my gt4 quieter has any one had experiences with adding sound deading like dynamat? what are the key areas to lower cabin noise?

I've added it to a mates doors, made a huge difference with the bass rattles. For less cabin noise then i would go thick carpet underlay, in the boot also, with some dynamat in the doors. There is varying thickness materials in the dynamat range, their website gives a good idea of whats what. In the end though its tires and exhaust that have the biggest impact. I'll be adding some when i do my interior makeover...someday...

So no ones seen it last underbonnet over a few years? :shrug: I'll give it a go anyway.

GT4RC

after sound deadening the trunk in my gts, there were a few days of 40+ degrees celcius heat that made it go soft, and the tar seeped out the edges and made a bit of a mess. if you're going for show quality finish, avoid any instance where you can visibly see the edge of the dynamat.

and for unbranded dynamat www.b-quiet.com

good luck, I'm also interested in seeing how it holds up.

ulis_m86

7-26-overall4.jpg

hope darthripley doesnt mind this is from darthripleys page imo the sexiest underhood i seen so far. :notworthy: her and her husband do some sweet detailed and tedious work check out her project

http://alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19242&start=360

WarTowels

It certainty could melt, and produce a gross mess or worse even a fire hazard.

I personally wouldn't put dynamat as the hood liner, I'd use some that is made to with stand the heat not something made with withstand sound.

-Towels

darthripley

thanks for the props guys - got me blushing here :oops:

we used the thermo-tec heat reflective self-adhesive material, just like the link Towels posted.

i wouldn't use anything not rated for some kind of heat b/c it will melt off in time & make a gigantic mess all over the place.
the thermotec has held up well so far & will save the paint on your hood from cracking which it will start to do if you don't have some sort of heat shielding on the underside.

redGT4

Thermotec or similar. Something that will stand 200+ c degrees. I'll keep on looking and researching.

Thanks for the replies guys/gals. Give yourselves a pat on the back. :D

chaos_cascade

There are tons posts of dynamat type products melting/failing in the texas heat. I think unless your trying to collect on your show car insurance you might want to reconsider mounting that above your turbo and intercooler.

Einst3in

on a separate note, i know this is old but the factory liner is designed to melt and help extinguish any under hood fires as well as keep most heat off the hood.

toayoztan

Einst3in":1p7qhoz3 said:
on a separate note, i know this is old but the factory liner is designed to melt and help extinguish any under hood fires as well as keep most heat off the hood.

Bingo. Not sure though if the actual "blanket/liner" melts or the clips melt allowing the liner/blanket to drop over the fire (althoug the liner is already in close proximity lol).

I believe also the material of the underhood liner acted as a thermal barrier/insulator to help prevent heat transfer to the hood = damage to your paint.

If you want a proper hood liner, order the material online and cut what you need and make it fit.

If you're going for show, I'd just repaint/clean up the paint on the underside of the hood, and make sure you have your heatshield on your manifold (at a mininum).

I plan to just have all my "hot parts" titanium coated or some sort. It's amazing how much ambient heat is decreased from this.

Honestly, I never thought of underhood liners originally to be much protection for paint with proper heat shields, etc, but more a fire blanket/sound reduction. One thing to remember, a lot of the older cars (such as ours) have aged (general wear and tear) enduring multiple weather conditions, and the paint chemistry was a bit different back then perhaps. I'm not bringing this up to state that protecting the paint is a moot point, though (just adding rationalization to a side). But I will agree that these liners may confer some protection for the paint from the heat, being secondary to why liners are now used.

"EDIT": Just found this...thought it was pretty interesting.

http://www.mvfri.org/Contracts/Final%20 ... lation.pdf

Bryan