OKC Project-8/1/15-Another fun car!

toayoztan

3tcpower - Yeah it isn't really all that bad to disassemble a motor, with care on removal of certain parts like cams, head, etc (use the BGB for this stuff). Assembling the motor is a little trickier as torque values and what not come into play. Two words I always give for advice for people working on their motor and disassembling them - Patience and Organization! Don't rush on stuck/rusty bolts, use PB Blaster or similar and heat to help. And keep all bolts and parts organized with baggies or bins. It'll make everything a lot smoother when you put it back together.

2_Liter_Turbo - I actually have pics of an SR build hah. My bro and cousin each tore down and built up an SR20det motor...they aren't nearly as "ugly" as the 3sgte imo :twisted:.

Bryan

2_Liter_Turbo

Lol, I have tons of pics of my build! I have to redo the bottom end though, the ringlands broke on my pistons. Going with CP this time, instead of the high silicon AL pistons I went with last time.

toayoztan

I snapped some shots of some more parts that I compiled. They're a bit sloppy, but you get the idea, enjoy!

Spherical Bushings for the rear..
dsc2647mod1.jpg

Intake Manifold Mounting Studs
dsc2648mod1.jpg

Intake Manifold Mounting Bolts
dsc2650mod1.jpg

Intake Manifold Mounting Nuts
dsc2651mod1.jpg

Exhaust Manifold Mounting Studs
dsc2652mod1.jpg

Exhaust Maniold Mounting Nuts
dsc2654mod1.jpg

Distributor Mounting Bolts
dsc2653mod1.jpg

Bearing Cap Bolt (cap over distributor)
dsc2657mod1.jpg

Intake Plenum Name Plate
dsc2658mod1.jpg

Toyota Emblem Rubber Mounting Clips
dsc2659mod1.jpg

Spark Plug Clamp
dsc2660mod1.jpg

Spark Plug Clamp
dsc2661mod1.jpg

Oil Filler Cap
dsc2662mod1.jpg

Distributor Cap Screws
dsc2663mod1.jpg

Distributor Cap Center Piece
dsc2664mod1.jpg

Tinted Vent Tail Corner
dsc2665mod1.jpg

Bryan

MixMaster

Love the car, great project thread and the photos are great documentation.

Hopefully, we can get an OKC/TX meet together sometime when this thing is back on the road. Kepp up the good work. Looks awesome!

2 things: your last photo of the tinted tails isn't loading and where did you find the part # for the name plate? I'd like to order a JDM ceramics/powered one.

P

toayoztan

Thanks, yeah I like to take a lot of pics, those aren't even half of the ones I have.

For the OEM parts, I tried to keep the part numbers visible in the photos for anyone curious.

I found the nameplate part #'s on the EPC I have loaded onto my computer. I tried to order another one, but was informed it's no longer available...not sure which one it was. Honestly, I ordered whatever nameplates I could because I was curious what they actually where heh.

Yeah we will have to meet up sometime. If I drive my car down to texas, I may have to ghetto it up with blue painter's tape on the hot spot areas for rock chips or put some clear bra on.

Thanks for the heads up on the picture not showing up...it was showing up early, but now it isn't for me also. I'll get that reuploaded again!

Bryan

C-dubb

Damn, very detailed with recording the whole process. I like it. Good work, looking forward to getting a look at how it comes along.

On a side note, I like the ToyoTool used to remove the valve spring assemblies. I have a beer bottle opener made by Sapporo from Japan that works very similar...wonder which one came first.

toayoztan

Thanks guys, I hope to have another relatively large update over this christmas/new year's break when i'm done with school.

I'll be painting the block, clean/polish (maybe) up the head, and powder coat quite a few parts.

Bryan

toayoztan

Thanks guys, I've been busy building a new sandblaster with my brother. The one I had was puny and horrible, as I do a good amount of powder coating work myself.

I've been sick lately, but hopefully will be posting up pictures of the blaster this weekend and getting started on coating my parts!

Bryan

toayoztan

Alright, it's been a while since i've updated. Been busy with school and the car somewhat. I plan to have the car finished by the end of March, but it's only a plan/goal, hopefully i'll get close!

You've seen the car in previous pictures being stripped and put on a flat bed. It was off to my friend's personal shop space/garage to get prepped with body work. It was then transported to his work where the paintbooth is located.

Enjoy the pics!

Here's the car as it first (somewhat) sat in the bodyshop.

While some of the body work was getting done, I had to modify a fender. I bought one JDM fender a while back (since my original one got crushed when someone back into it), and decided to just cut the hole in my other good fender. It wasn't too hard to cut it out with a mini dremmel, but was a pain getting it lined up perfectly (but it was worth it!).

The results of the fender...looks good and aligned!

After the fenders, i dropped them off. My brother and I then proceeded to cut out a portion of the rusted rocker panel, and weld in a new replacement panel. It's not THE most proper way to replace/fix a rocker panel, but it worked.

Another view of the cutout portion...

POR15 was applied to the inside after prep.

Here's the panel we measured and cut out...looks like a decent fit. We had to match the vertical bend towards the rear near the jamb where it meets the rear rocker panel cover.

Here's you can see it's been welded in place along with a thin layer of bondo to smooth things out. (He didn't get finished sanding it yet)

Also worked on the driver rear fender area. The silver/we you see was previous rust bullet I carelessly put on to stop the rust.

Cut out all the "bad" stuff the best I could.

Another view...

Here's the "finished" product. Again, it looks to have a bunch of bondo, but there's not...and he didn't get finished sanding it yet.

Had to do the other side..

And the car after the body work, getting hit with some primer.

After that, didn't get to see the car til a few days later after having it painted.

Bryan

toayoztan

Day 0

Alright, so as properly named so (day zero), putting the car back together begins on this day of pick up!

The car looked better than i imagined, along with the rest of the parts. The color is BMW Black Sapphire Metallic. It's a bit hard to tell, but there's some pearl in there, and at night, the black turns into a grey. I'll have to fiddle with the Nikon some and get the color to come out right, but I just wanted to shoot some quick shots to show. Enjoy!

Oh, and the doors/hood/fenders aren't aligned yet. Only the driver door is (so i'll have to align everything off of that).

Front view

Profile view

3/4 view passenger rear

Rear view

3/4 view driver rear up close

3/4 view passenger rear up close

Hood view looking down

Front view again

Fender side view

3/4 view passenger front

Jambs painted

Under the hood painted (it's a little spotted/dirty, hadn't cleaned it yet)

As you can see, the rocker panel front and rear covers aren't on, bumpers off, spoiler off, and sunroof off, along withdoor handles, etc. The only thing that permanently stays off are the side mouldings. I was unsure what i'd look like, seeing pics and all (since i've never seen it in person). But I can say, i'm glad they are off. Besides, there was previous work done (previous owner I guess) to my car on the passenger door, and when they put the moulding back on, it wasn't completely sealed I guess, allowing wate to get in behind there, and rust out the area on the door. I didn't see that until I ripped the moulding off.

Bryan

darthripley

looks great Bryan, painter did great work & the welded pieces appear seamless.
i like it with the side molding shaved as well, looks much cleaner.
putting the parts back on the car is so much more fun & rewarding than taking them all off for prep - really gives you a huge sense of accomplishment as the car comes together just the way you want it.