Hydra Autotune?

captaingowa

My supplied WB02 for the autotune function never even worked and I tried 2 different NTK L2H2 sensors... I wasted my money. Starting to look for a Autronic SM4 or Haltech EMS .. IMO Hydra is a PITA. Good Luck.

klue

Autotune is garbage, on EVERY EMS.
It will give you a false sense of security
It will do some mild accurate data

it will not fuel your car correctly
it will not replace a qualified tuner.

Mafix

now the hydra itself is a great ems but you have you know what you are doing with it. and the correct sensor is a ntk l1h1 not the cheap l2h2

klue

I think the BEST of the crap autotune systems LOL
is the MEGASQUIRT one, go figure it costs the least. It actually does real time sampling and mapping

But i would never trust it for anything with a turbo, or anything over 160hp n/a .

Simba

There's no practical way to "autotune" a fuel table based on wideband readings alone.

What does work is closed loop wideband correction, which can help you get the fuel table where it needs to be with a little logging of the AFR setpoint and correction values. Motec, EFI, et al do this to various degrees, and it is quite handy.

BNZ

klue":1rcab2fx said:
I think the BEST of the crap autotune systems LOL
is the MEGASQUIRT one, go figure it costs the least. It actually does real time sampling and mapping

But i would never trust it for anything with a turbo, or anything over 160hp n/a .

I've used and still use autotune in with TunersStudioMS and it gets you there 80% so it's a great tool,shortens your time in setting up the car,it's worth every penny (the software) if you put in balance the money you would spend on the gas for running+loging then analyze+tuning maps.
In the end the program does the same thing what you will do,follow lambda(wideband) targets but it will not hit all the cells as it will autotune only the car's acceleration curve,therefore you have to step in manually. Following the "how to" guide and understanding how the software behaves can bring you really accurate results and prepares the map for the final minor touches.

Hic

klue":2u2nxunb said:
Autotune is garbage, on EVERY EMS.
It will give you a false sense of security
It will do some mild accurate data

it will not fuel your car correctly
it will not replace a qualified tuner.

You are talking bullshit. I often use autotune and it never misses a beat.

Use a proper EMS, not AEM or Hydra or something like that and then you can say whatever you want.

I use Autronic, Vipec, Pectel and they have EXCELLENT autotune.

klue

You are talking bullshit. I often use autotune and it never misses a beat.

Use a proper EMS, not AEM or Hydra or something like that and then you can say whatever you want.

I use Autronic, Vipec, Pectel and they have EXCELLENT autotune.[/quote]

Wow, for real!
Im talking bullshit, please do inform us! obviously you feel your opinion is better is far superior to anyone else.

Hic

OK if you want to put it that way.

My opinion is not opinion of the forum guy who learned about his car from other people's experience.

I tune cars for a living and I have to be VERY careful not to do damage to customers, or to hand over a car which is unreliable.

Do you think I would (or any erspectable tuner, mechanic, etc) depend on something that DOESN'T WORK?!?!?!

Man, please get your thoughts straight. That is why I called your words bullshit, not to directly offend you, but the way you put it is simply that.

A lot of EMS's today use Autotune, Quicktune or some other name as a selling feature, a stuff that will convince the end customer to buy the ecu as it will "tune itself" which is also bullshit.

Autotune feature on Autronic or Vipec will tune the complete fuel map on the dyno in 20mins.

There is still a tuner that has to be born to do this MANUALLY.

There is a nice movie to show how fast this feature is on Vipec ecu:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jel2P1slIag

or this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBDkWpwSiN4

On the dyno, there is no faster and more reliable way, as the ecu maintains the same AFR on the road.

This is a FACT, and you have to PROVE me that all the work I did is WRONG and that everything you see that I posted is a lie.

Hic

Mafix said:
hic:
have you put your car on a dyno to verify this?[/quote

Yes Mafix,

my car is first road tuned, they dyno tuned so I can find the MBT.

In both cases, AFR stays the SAME. That is one big advantage of the propery designed ecu algorithm.

Many cars that I saw had to be checked on the road after a dyno tune, because the load and temperature would lean the AFR.
I use dyno after a road tune, simply because that is cheaper, and the cars don't like dynos. That is how I do it for 10 years now and NEVER, but NEVER had a destroyed engine or any kind of problem with my cars.

You just need to use a proper ECU and have a good logical flow of thinking. There are no secrets here.

Mafix

very good. it's good to hear that someone has had a good autotune experience. at least it's not complete BS from the ems manufacturers. now the next question in the line...how is the timing tune going?

Hic

timing?

knock detection and dyno....no other proper way.

you can road tune safe, but you can be overadvanced or have quita a few ponies hidden