Can we get the old search back?

lumbercis

The google search bites. Unless I'm missing something there's not anywhere near the controllability of the old forum based search. What I especially hate is that it defaults to listing results by post rather than allowing results by thread.

In short, either bring back the old search or enable us to mimic the old functionality with the google search. Otherwise the new search is a downgrade.

J.

toayoztan

Tommy":3ak5tdl6 said:
The search still exists. It is preferable for people to use the google search since that sucks up a lot less server resources.

The old search is still here: http://alltrac.net/phpBB2/search.php

The search database re-indexes on its own, so it will continually get better over time.

Here's what the admin said in another thread when I asked about it.

I agree, the new google search totally blows.

Bryan

lumbercis

Ahh, thanks. Didn't see the previous thread.

In that case, can we get a link to the old search somewhere easily accessible so I don't have to search (heh :p ) for this thread every time I want to search?

J.

Balagast

Has anyone noticed that if you try and use the old search it doesn't seem to be returning all the possible results? I tried a search for clutch cylinder and got 2 threads to come back, and I know that cannot be accurate.

Gary ST165

the forum (search facility) needs to be re-indexed :(

including active topics:

Tommy":1827t0d8 said:
» Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:29 am
After an upgrade, it takes a few days for active topics to work. Basically, they aren't active yet.

I got a message saying the board was being updated earlier today... so any news or plans to make use of the view active topics function ? : search.php?search_id=active_topics

Just enabled this feature. Should be working soon. Try going back further than 7 days for now to see active topics.[/quote]

Gary ST165":1827t0d8 said:
try this....

phpbb_display_active_topics.jpg

I'm not teaching you to suck eggs, but have you checked that active topics is highlighted on every forum / subforum.

kind regards

:smokes:

Gary ST165

active topics is what it says. > It should display all topics from all the forums in chronological order of the most recent post.

It works a bit like "view new posts" > except when you log out or come back 5 minutes later > you still get to read all the new posts, and maybe the posts which you didn't read, which are effectively all the topics with recent activity

Gary ST165

^^^^ this is a PITA

can the administrator please re-index the search. PLEASE. using minimum 2 characters

Fulltext native
Enable fulltext updating:
Updating of fulltext indexes when posting, overridden if search is disabled.
Yes No
Min characters indexed by search: 2
Words with at least this many characters will be indexed for searching.

and the search.php?search_id=active_topics

active topics link still shows only one sub forum :(

thanks in advance