185 with 205 rear knuckles

Turtle

I have a 185 and have been going through wheel bearings...I found a pair of rear & front 205 knuckles on this forum. I installed the rears the other day because another wheel bearing went out on me. here is my problem...when i try and put the rotor on, there is a lip on the hub keeping the rotor from sitting flush against the hub, its close but the rotor rubs against the caliper. I looked at both front and rear knuckles and all 4 of these have the lip on them which is not letting the rotor go on all the way. I tried torquing down just the rotor with lug nuts thinking it would slip over, but it didn't work. Do i need 205 rotors to make this work? Is it normal for them to have the lip there? I was thinking about just grinding it down, but i would rather get new rotors if i have to use the 205's ...any input would be greatly appreciate. thanks

deecee

i think i know what you are talking about. st185 hub spigot is 54.1mm and st205/215 hub spigot is 55mm.
that means the centre bore of the disc is 54.1mm for st185 and 55mm for st205 and 215.

options. bore out the disc to 55mm on lathe, change hub from st205 to st185, lathe 55mm hub spigot down to 54.1mm

you can't put 185 discs on st205/215 hubs

Turtle

Thank you for that info. I have a st185 ...my 185 knuckle/hub is shot so i want to use the 205's(since i already have them)....can i just get 205 rotors and call it good? or would they interfere with the caliper? just feeling out my options for now. Thanks again

Meurz

Won't fit - stock 185 discs are 288x10 mm solid items, the ST205 discs are 315x16 mm and ventilated. Probably a different offset as well. You can put on the entire rear brake assy of the 205 though, good upgrade.

aus jd 2703

sorry to hijack, but aren't rear brake upgrades a waste since the proportioning valve limits rear brake pressures thus limiting the affect a rear brake up grade will have? im curious as this has always bugged me :shrug: